Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kebabs

Shortly after our second daughter was born, we received several phone calls and emails from friends, wondering if they could drop off dinner for our family. This was something we hadn’t experienced with our first daughter’s birth, and I can’t tell you how much we appreciated those homemade meals that appeared at our door after bringing Tessa home from the hospital. As our family adjusted to an entirely different schedule, while running on the less than adequate sleep that newborns are famous for, those meals were literally food for our souls.

These Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kebabs are a twist on a recipe from one of those meals. Sandy, a friend I met through our local MOPS (Mothers Of Preschoolers) group, delivered a baked version, complete with sides and dessert. Our family fell in love with the honey mustard chicken and it has frequented our table ever since. I recently got smart and adapted the recipe for kebabs, so we could enjoy that same deliciousness with lovin’ from the grill.

I heart kebabs. And I especially love this sweet and tangy version for chicken that sports a short list of ingredients, including curry for some delicious warmth. The kebabs are easy to put together and they’re a super tasty way to get out of your regular menu boredom. We’re at the height of the grilling season. Show your family some grilled honey mustard chicken love!

Print Print Recipe

Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kebabs

Yield: 4 servings

• 1 T. vegetable oil
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1/4 c. yellow mustard
  • 1 tsp. mild curry powder
  • 4 medium sized boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2" to 2" sized pieces
  • kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

If using wooden skewers, get them soaking in water right away.

In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, honey, mustard, and curry. Reserve 1/3 cup of marinade for brushing on the kebabs while grilling. Pour the rest of the marinade into a gallon baggie and add the chicken pieces, turning the baggie to coat all the chicken. Refrigerate the marinating chicken for 2 to 4 hours, turning the bag over halfway through.

Thirty minutes prior to grilling, remove the chicken from the marinade and slide onto the skewers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.

Grill on medium-high heat for about 15 minutes total, turning every 2 to 3 minutes. Brush on the reserved marinade during the final few minutes of grilling.

We like to also grill veggie and fruit kebabs at the same time. Our favorite combination is a mixture of onions, assorted sweet bell peppers, whole mushrooms, and fresh pineapple. We just brush lightly with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. While I like the appearance of kebabs that have the meat, veggies, and fruit all on the same skewers, my husband (the griller) likes the better control he has over doneness when the meat is on separate skewers.

Adapted from a baked Honey Mustard Chicken recipe that Sandy Heinsch introduced me to, originally found in the cookbook "Simple Elegance" from Our Lady of Perpetual Help Women's Guild in Germantown, TN.

40 Responses to “Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kebabs”

Cassie — May 30, 2012 at 8:00 am

The curry + mustard combo sounds out of this world. I love this Brenda!

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thank you, Cassie! That curry is awesome in this…smells and tastes heavenly!

Annemarie — May 30, 2012 at 8:02 am

Sounds yummy!!!

Carol — May 30, 2012 at 8:40 am

Really yummy! I want to rip the computer and it that!

Emily @ She Makes and Bakes — May 30, 2012 at 9:14 am

These look great. I need to make some honey mustard chicken…sounds incredible!

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Thanks, Emily…it’s one of the easiest and tastiest meals ever!

Grandmereb Lovestobake — May 30, 2012 at 10:30 am

I am not a curry fan, but would like to try this without it. Or does anyone have a substitute that would be tasty?

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Hmmm…maybe some cumin, with a little bit of cinnamon?

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 30, 2012 at 10:37 am

I love kebabs and honey mustard is one of my favorite combinations!

Lynna — May 30, 2012 at 11:45 am

Oh, these kebabs are just the perfect thing to eat for the summer`s cook out!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — May 30, 2012 at 11:58 am

It’s truly amazing when friends are there for you through your trimphs and challenges and step up to help out when you could use the extra hand. You have some very sweet friends! This recipe is perfect! I love grilling meat and veggies and your recipe is simple and healthy. Definitely going to try it!

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Thank you, Julia! I just never tire of this flavor combo. And I feel good serving it to my family!

michele at onecountrychick — May 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Hi! happy to have just found your site! this recipe looks great!

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Hi Michele – thank you so much for stopping by! :)

Paula — May 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Gifts of homemade food are always such a lovely treat, especially when you are dealing with a new baby, family illness, etc. I love the sound of these honey mustard chicken kebabs and they look delicious.

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — May 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Perfect for summer!

Elissa — May 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm

This sounds really good. Kebobs are so much fun!

Annie — May 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm

WOW! You are a life saver! I was actually looking for a chicken kebab recipe that isn’t too spicy for my taste and I think this one definitely fits that!

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2012 at 3:37 pm

This isn’t spicy at all, just has a nice warmth to it from the curry. If you try it, please let me know what you think!

DynnaLou — May 30, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Wow this looks definitely delicious and I just want to give this a try and make some with my husband.. Thanks for the idea here..

Kim | At Home With Kim — May 31, 2012 at 7:43 am

Brenda, these look SO good! My husband LOVES to grill {and I LOVE for him to grill ~ keeps me outta the kitchen, ha!}. I’m pinning these to make this weekend {still hadn’t planned those meals}. And I love love the idea of also grilling veggies. NOTHING to make in the kitchen! Woo~Hoo.

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Thank you, Kim – hope your family likes this as much as we do!!

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — June 1, 2012 at 12:33 am

Sounds so delicious and just a few ingredients right out of the pantry. Honey mustard sounds like such a nice combo with the chicken. yum.

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Thank you, Nancy. There’s nothing better than a low-maintenance recipe that everyone loves!!

Jonathan light — June 1, 2012 at 6:19 am

I always love yammy recipes and grilled kebabs. So, this recipe is great for me. For making this recipe it takes few ingredients and the cooking process is so easy. Its absolutely great.

Candy — June 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

I made these last night and the whole family loved, even my picky 3 year old. I put a little less curry because I was scared of the mentioned picky eater but this was superb. We kabob all the time and this will be in the rotation permanently. We also kabob the meat and veggies separately since the veggies don’t take as long usually. Thanks for the recipe!

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Yay!! I’m so happy your family liked this – thank you so much for taking the time to come back to comment! :)

Martha — June 2, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Wow, the ingredients make it sound delicious…looks like we have something for dinner.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — June 3, 2012 at 9:33 pm

You have such great friends! And these kebabs look so flavorful!

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Yes, it’s amazing how humbled a person feels when they have no energy or patience left, and a delicious meal appears at the door. That’s what friends are for, right?!

nest of posies — June 4, 2012 at 6:51 am

i want these for dinner or lunch! they look so good!

Jessica — August 6, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I love this idea! I’ve never tried kebabs with honey mustard sauce; I’ve always just stuck with something a little spicier, but I love the idea of going sweet. We’d love for you to submit a similar recipe to The Search for the Ultimate Weeknight Meal, offering a grand-prize to one lucky blogger who will tape a segment to air on national TV! If you’re interested, check out our contest page for more details. http://www.mrfood.com/Editors-Picks/Search-for-Ultimate-Weeknight-Meal-Blogger-Contest

Gwendolyn Ewert — August 7, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I myself grew up on the farm and think that its a great wholesome life. For someone who has lived in the city all their life; its a life that they really don’t know. We had pretty well every aspect of it. My husband and I now live on a suburban property, near the city. I’m thankful for my growing up years.

• Brenda replied on August 9th, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Nice to hear from you, Gwendolyn. It was an awesome growing up. :)

1. Pingback: My Spice Kitchen: Curry Powder | Aggie's Kitchen

2. Pingback: Honey Mustard Chicken Skewers with a Kick « becoming pigzilla

3. Pingback: 30 Recipes for the Grill: Sides, Entrees and Desserts - Amanda's Cookin'

4. Pingback: Grilled Saffron Chicken Skewers Recipe | Leite's Culinaria

5. Pingback: Grilled Honey Chipotle Chicken Kebabs

6. Pingback: Herby Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Grapes and Shallots » a farmgirl's dabbles