Salted Nut Roll Shot
This Salted Nut Roll Shot is a fun twist on the classic salted nut roll candy bar. Creamy RumChata, nutty peanut butter whiskey, and vanilla vodka are shaken until chilled and served in a shot glass coated with salted caramel sauce!
Easy Salted Nut Roll Shot Recipe
If you’re a fan of the salted nut roll candy bar you’re going to love those classic flavors in this Salted Nut Roll Shot recipe!
This fun little cocktail shot is lightly creamy and sweet, and delightfully nutty. Spiked with creamy RumChata, vanilla vodka, and peanut butter whiskey, and then served in a salted caramel rimmed glass, this dessert shot is guaranteed to make any occasion a festive one!
Why You’ll Love This Salty Nut Shot
I adore the combination of sweet & salty in everything from desserts to main dishes, so it’s no surprise that I like this little cocktail. Here’s why you’ll love this salty nut shot:
- Unexpected. Chances are, even if you like to drink cocktails, you probably haven’t heard of this one before. I’ve made homemade salted nut roll bars, but making a drink out of those flavors goes down a whole new avenue!
- Contrasting flavors and textures that go so well together. With a sweet and gooey caramel rim that’s sprinkled with sea salt flakes, this creamy, nutty drink is a fun balance of flavors and textures.
- A drink that’s also a dessert. With the luscious caramel sauce on the rim, this sweet and creamy drink can serve equally well as a dessert. No cookies required!
- Short and sweet. Sometimes you just want a small drink to cap off a meal. Served in a shot glass, the salted nut roll shot is the perfect little sip. If you like fruity flavors, limoncello is another such drink that’s short & sweet.
What You’ll Need
You’ll need just 5 ingredients to make this special drink. Here’s an overview of recipe ingredients.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card at the end of this post for the exact ingredient amounts.
- Caramel sauce – Dip the rims of the shot glasses into your favorite caramel sauce to really drive home that salted nut roll candy bar flavor.
- Sea salt – Sprinkle the caramel with a pinch of sea salt flakes for that awesome contrast of sweet & salty. I recommend Maldon brand sea salt flakes. If you don’t have flaky salt, feel free to skip it. Do not substitute table or kosher salt, as these will taste too harsh.
- Peanut butter whiskey – Peanut butter whiskey adds a deep, rich, nutty flavor that reminds you of the peanuts in the salted nut roll candy bar. If you can’t find peanut butter whiskey, William Wolf Pecan Whiskey is also delicious in this shot.
- Rumchata – Rumchata adds a creamy sweetness to the shot, replicating the candy bar’s fluffy nougat center.
- Vanilla vodka – Vanilla vodka adds a bit more sweetness and the vanilla helps bring out the flavor of the peanuts and cinnamon in the other liqueurs.
How to Make a Salted Nut Roll Shot
This recipe makes enough for four shots. See exactly how to make a salted nut roll shot below:
- Prep the shot glass rims. Place the caramel sauce in a small bowl and dip the rims of four shot glasses into the caramel. Sprinkle each rim with a pinch of sea salt flakes.
- Add the 3 kinds of alcohol to a cocktail shaker. Add the peanut butter whiskey, vanilla vodka, and creamy RumChata to a cocktail shaker.
- Shake with ice & serve immediately. Add ice to the cocktail shaker, cover tightly, and then shake vigorously for 30 seconds to perfectly chill and dilute the drinks.
- Pour into glasses. Divide the mixture between the 4 prepared shot glasses and enjoy right away.
Tips & Variations
Here are a few variations you can try on this salted nut roll shot, plus a few tips for how to make it:
- Make the mix in advance. When entertaining, you can easily combine the alcohols in this recipe in advance and store the mixture in the fridge in an airtight container. When you’re ready to make the shots, just shake the mixture with ice and pour into glasses!
- Swap in a different alcohol. Try hazelnut liqueur in place of the peanut butter whiskey for a different flavor note. I also previously mentioned that a pecan flavored whiskey is delicious in this drink.
- Try chocolate sauce. Instead of caramel sauce, try chocolate. My hot fudge sauce would be perfect here.
- Dip the shot glasses in crushed peanuts. After you’ve coated the rim of the glasses with caramel sauce, dip the shot glasses in chopped or crushed peanuts for even more peanut flavor.
As mentioned, you can skip making dessert and just serve salted nut roll shots! Or, serve these little drinks along with another dessert. Check out my favorite pairings with salted nut roll shots below:
- Chocolate cake. Chocolate, peanuts, and caramel all go well together – so serve salted nut roll shots with slices of chocolate cake for a dessert. My dark chocolate cake is decadent, or go all-in on the peanut butter-chocolate flavor combo and make my chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. I have lots of other cake recipes as well.
- Cookies. A selection of cookies alongside a salty nut shot would be lovely. Go for more peanut flavor with chocolate peanut butter Ritz cookies, peanut butter blossoms, or peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. Or explore my full selection of cookie recipes.
- Bars & brownies. If bars and brownies are more your style, you can’t go wrong with these super popular chewy chocolate chip cookie bars. More favorites include chocolate rice krispie bars and my mom’s fudgy brownies.
- Homemade candy. These sweet little drinks would go well with caramel apple bark, pecan pralines, buckeye fudge (more peanut butter and chocolate!), and homemade peanut butter cups!
- Salty snacks. If a sweet drink plus a sweet dessert are just a bit too much, serve salted nut roll shots with pretzels, salted nuts, or potato chips for a savory, crunchy side.
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Maldon sea salt flakes
- 2 ounces Screwball Peanut Butter Whiskey
- 1 ounce vanilla vodka
- 1 ounce Rumchata
- Place the caramel sauce in a small bowl and dip the rims of four shot glasses into the caramel. Sprinkle each rim with a pinch of sea salt flakes.
- Add the peanut butter whiskey, vanilla vodka, and RumChata to a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds, until very well chilled.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared glasses and enjoy immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 235mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
More Fall Drinks
- Old Fashioned
- Hot Toddy
- Apple Sangria with Bourbon and Thyme
- Espresso Martini
- Whiskey Sour
- Cranberry Gin & Tonic