Meghan’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
This Chicken Tortilla Soup is loaded with flavor. Grab some chips and fresh limes, and enjoy!
My husband is a soup man. Winter, spring, summer, or fall…he’s always up for a good bowl of soup.
And I’m always up for a new recipe. So when my friend, Meghan, told me she had been doing some experimenting and finally had a Chicken Tortilla Soup worth sharing, I took her up on her offer to send it to me. Of course!
When I made this for my family, I got nothing but “mmmmm”s in return. The chicken broth/tomato base is deliciously seasoned and the soup has a nice amount of chunkiness from the onion, corn, and chicken.
But what really makes this Chicken Tortilla Soup special is the surprise hiding at the bottom of the bowl.
Down under all those tasty spoons of soup are chunks of fresh mozzarella cheese. The cheese keeps its form, but the heat of the soup transforms it into ooey-gooey blissful bites. And although the mozzarella is listed as an optional garnish, because the soup is still great without it, I highly recommend that it be moved to the top of the ingredient list. It’s really quite spectacular.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 sweet bell peppers, any color(s) you like, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) corn, drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked/roasted and shredded into bite-size pieces (a roasted deli chicken works great!)
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- optional garnishes:
- fresh avocado, cut into 1" chunks
- fresh mozzarella, cut into 1″ chunks
- chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped green onions
- tortilla crisps (shown in photos, found near the croutons and salad toppings in the fresh produce area) or chips
- fresh lime slices
- sour cream
- In a medium soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, sweet bell peppers, and garlic and saute until just softened.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, chipotle powder, salt, pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat a bit and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn, black beans, shredded chicken, and lime juice. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until heated throughout.
- To serve: Place avocado and mozzarella in the bottom of individual serving bowls. Ladle the hot soup over the top. The cheese will stay in its form but become melted and ooey-gooey…yummy! Top soup with cilantro, green onions, sour cream, and tortilla crisps or chips. Offer fresh lime slices on the side for squeezing over the top.
Adapted from Meghan Kell Cornell’s recipe box, inspired by the delicious soup experience she had at Brasa.
Meghan is also a very talented residential architect, who was just presented the Emerging Talent Award by AIA Minnesota and Midwest Home magazine. Check out her work at Kell Architects!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 589Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 2303mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 20gSugar: 15gProtein: 39g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.