Meghan’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
This Chicken Tortilla Soup is loaded with flavor. Grab some chips and fresh limes, and enjoy!
My husband is a soup man. Winter, spring, summer, or fall…he’s always up for a good bowl of soup.
And I’m always up for a new recipe. So when my friend, Meghan, told me she had been doing some experimenting and finally had a Chicken Tortilla Soup worth sharing, I took her up on her offer to send it to me. Of course!
When I made this for my family, I got nothing but “mmmmm”s in return. The chicken broth/tomato base is deliciously seasoned and the soup has a nice amount of chunkiness from the onion, corn, and chicken.
But what really makes this Chicken Tortilla Soup special is the surprise hiding at the bottom of the bowl.
Down under all those tasty spoons of soup are chunks of fresh mozzarella cheese. The cheese keeps its form, but the heat of the soup transforms it into ooey-gooey blissful bites. And although the mozzarella is listed as an optional garnish, because the soup is still great without it, I highly recommend that it be moved to the top of the ingredient list. It’s really quite spectacular.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 sweet bell peppers (preferably red, orange, or yellow), chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle powder
- 1 to 2 tsp. kosher salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 T. tomato paste
- 32 oz. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-oz. can corn, drained
- 1 14-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded into bite-size pieces (roasted deli chicken works great!)
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- optional garnishes:
- fresh avocado, cut into 1″ chunks
- fresh mozzarella, cut into 1″ chunks
- chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped green onions
- tortilla crisps (shown in photos, found near the croutons and salad toppings in the fresh produce area) or chips
- fresh lime slices
- In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, sweet bell peppers, and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, chipotle powder, salt, pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat a bit and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in corn, black beans, chicken, and lime juice. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until heated throughout.
- Place avocado and mozzarella in the bottom of individual serving bowls. Ladle the soup over the top. Cheese will stay in its form but become melted and ooey-gooey…yummy! Top with cilantro, green onions, and tortilla crisps (or Tostitos ‘hint of lime’ tortilla chips instead of the tortilla crisps), with slices of fresh lime on the side.
Adapted from Meghan Kell Cornell’s recipe box, inspired by the delicious soup experience she had at Brasa.
Meghan is also a very talented residential architect, who was just presented the Emerging Talent Award by AIA Minnesota and Midwest Home magazine. Check out her work at Kell Architects!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 589Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 2303mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 20gSugar: 15gProtein: 39g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
I think everyone should have a “go-to” Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe, don’t you?! So I’m also linking up on “Mingle Monday” at Add A Pinch. Please, head on over and check out the latest on Robyn’s site – right here!
And…at Rachel’s “Mouthwatering Monday” at A Southern Fairytale, right here!
Come join Soup-a-Palooza at TidyMom and Dine and Dish, sponsored by Bush’s Beans, Hip Hostess, Pillsbury and Westminster Crackers! ….. I’m linking up this Chicken Tortilla Soup and my Spicy Egyptian Lentil Soup!!