Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip
This is the BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe. It’s quick and easy to make, with just 5 ingredients. Serve at your next party with your favorite dippers for a hot baked appetizer everyone will devour!
The Best Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
This Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip has been a longtime family favorite appetizer. If you like buffalo wings in traditional buffalo wing style, here’s a super fun recipe for you!
My friend Morgan shared this easy buffalo chicken dip recipe with me many years ago. Besides being irresistible (buffalo wings have that effect on people!), it requires just 5 ingredients and comes together quickly.
We love Frank’s Redhot sauce around here, and that’s what gives this dip its signature spicy buffalo kick. Combined with tangy cream cheese, gooey mozzarella cheese, blue cheese dressing, and some canned chicken breast, this dip is hearty and absolutely packed with flavor.
While we most often enjoy this buffalo dip during the cooler months, especially for New Year’s Eve and football games, we do make it all year long. It even works great to bake this over a campfire in a cast iron skillet – so fun!
The best buffalo chicken dip recipe? It’s right here. Enjoy!
This cheesy, flavorful dip recipe is loaded with flavor – it’s hard to believe there’s only 5 ingredients! Scroll down to the recipe card for the measurements.
- Cream cheese – The base for the dip. Soften to room temperature so it’s easier to combine with the other ingredients.
- Blue cheese salad dressing – Use your favorite chunky blue cheese dressing and mix it with the cream cheese. Buffalo chicken wings are most often served with celery sticks and a side of blue cheese dressing for dipping, so this dressing adds in that expected flavor element.
- Frank’s Redhot – This is my family’s favorite hot sauce for making wings and buffalo dip!
- Mozzarella cheese – I recommend using whole-milk mozzarella if possible, as it’s beautifully creamy and has a richer flavor.
- Chicken breast – This recipe calls for a can of chicken breast, which makes it so super easy. Just drain the water and it’s ready to go!
What Type Of Buffalo Sauce Is Best For Buffalo Chicken Dip?
My family prefers Frank’s RedHot Original Sauce (affiliate link).
This is a bright and flavorful sauce that’s spicy, but “not too spicy”…if you know what I mean. 😊
We like to dash it on hard boiled eggs, frozen and homemade pizza, macaroni & cheese, and even stir it into soups like my creamy chicken & wild rice soup and my mom’s oyster stew. Whenever you’re looking for a little extra flavor, just think about Frank’s!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
This baked party dip is SO easy to make – just 10 minutes of prep time!
- Combine the ingredients. Stir the cream cheese until smooth, then add in the blue cheese dressing, hot sauce, and shredded cheese. Fold in chicken and transfer mixture to a baking dish.
- Bake. Bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through. Place under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the top, if desired.
- Enjoy. Serve with your favorite dippers and enjoy!
Tips & Variations
Here are a few tips for making this buffalo chicken dip, plus variations.
- Use softened cream cheese. To best mix all ingredients together, make sure to use softened cream cheese. It’s very difficult to mix cold/hard cream cheese with other ingredients!
- Use leftover chicken. You can easily dice or shred some leftover chicken breast or even a rotisserie chicken for this dip.
- Swap the blue cheese for ranch dressing. Not a fan of blue cheese? Just use your favorite ranch dressing.
- Use a different hot sauce. If you already have a favorite buffalo wings sauce, go ahead and use that.
- Add other seasoning. I think the flavors in this dip are perfect as-is, but you could add some Old Bay Seasoning, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, etc if desired. Freshly ground black pepper would be good!
- Switch up the cheese. Instead of mozzarella, you can use cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a cheese blend.
- Add some garnishes. To “fancy it up” a bit, I sometimes sprinkle the top of the baked dip with some crumbled blue cheese and sliced green onion. It just depends on the occasion.
What to Serve with Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip
You can serve this easy dip recipe with any dippers you’d like. I usually offer up at least a few different options. Here are some favorites:
- Potato chips – choose sturdy ones, for the best dipping
- Tortilla chips
- Fritos scoops
- Bell peppers
This buffalo chicken dip would also be good spread on wraps, flatbreads, or quesadillas!
Can This Be Prepared in Advance?
If you want to prepare this dip in advance, just combine the ingredients and transfer them to the baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for up to a day.
When ready to bake, let it sit on the counter for 20-30 minutes as the oven heats up. Then bake as directed. You may need to add a few minutes of baking time.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
Leftover buffalo chicken dip can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Either tightly cover the baking dish with plastic wrap or transfer leftovers to an airtight container.
Reheat individual servings in the microwave. Or pop the pan back in the oven (cover pan with a lid or foil to keep the heat in and to keep extra browning at bay) at 300° F until heated through.
More Easy Dip Recipes:
- Shrimp Dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Dill Pickle Dip
- Cheesy Beef Taco Dip
- Reuben Dip
- Million Dollar Dip
- Kicked-Up Cheesy Corn and Sausage Dip
Like this recipe? Save it to Pinterest!
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup chunky blue cheese salad dressing
- ½ cup Frank’s RedHot Original Sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (use whole milk mozzarella, if possible)
- 1 can (12.5 ounces) Premium Chicken Breast in Water, drained well, with any large chunks of chicken broken up
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, stir cream cheese until smooth. Stir in salad dressing, hot sauce, and shredded cheese. Then fold in the chicken. Transfer mixture to a baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes or until mixture is heated throughout. Place under broiler for a bit if you want to brown it slightly.
- Serve with your favorite dippers - we like sturdy potato chips, Fritos scoops, tortilla chips, crackers, carrots, celery, and bell peppers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 243mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
This post was originally published in 2010, then updated in 2023.