This cold Shrimp Dip is an easy appetizer recipe with just a few ingredients. It’s thick and creamy, and full of clean shrimp flavor!
CLICK HERE to save recipe to Pinterest!
My parents hosted Christmas Eve for my mom’s side of the family for many, many years. And my mom’s Shrimp Dip quickly became an annual tradition, right alongside the homemade oyster stew and hand-cranked vanilla ice cream.
Some of the best memories I own are Christmas Eve memories. As a kid, our house was filled with energetic cousins, all of whom could also be called friends. Along with our parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, we played games for hours: Spoons, Farkle, and a variety of marbles, dominoes, and card games. We filled the house with so. much. awesome. laughter.
This recipe is one of the easiest and best appetizers you’ll ever make. And you can prepare it ahead of time, leaving it to rest its merry little self in the refrigerator until your guests arrive. It’s thick and creamy, and full of clean shrimp flavor. We enjoy this dip on Christmas Eve and all year ’round!
Shrimp Dip with Canned Shrimp
I keep cans of tiny shrimp in our pantry at all times, just for this shrimp dip recipe.
Besides that, the only things I need are: cream cheese, mayo (absolutely do not use Miracle Whip!), fresh green onion (I love the brightness this adds!), garlic salt, and black pepper.
You just can’t go wrong with shrimp dip with cream cheese. Right?!
A couple more of our favorite dip recipes: Baked Reuben Dip has all the flavors of the famous Reuben sandwich that we love, deconstructed into a dip. Dill Pickle Dip is super fun with cream cheese and dill pickles. And my aunt’s Layered Creamy Chili Shrimp Dip is festive and fantastically delicious!
The simple list of ingredients for this cold shrimp dip lets the shrimp flavor come through beautifully.
I’ve often thought, “What can I add to this recipe to improve it?” Because it feels just “too simple”. But it really needs nothing more.
Make this for game day.
Or girls night.
Or just because.
And if you enjoy this on Christmas Eve, it’ll be just like we’re celebrating together. You. Me. And my mom’s shrimp dip. Cheers!
Like this Shrimp Dip? Pin it!
A few more dip recipes from my friends!
- Skillet Buffalo Cauliflower Dip from Heartbeet Kitchen
- Warm Brie, Crab, and Artichoke Dip from Noble Pig
- Easy Jalapeno Popper Dip from Saving Room for Dessert
- 1 can (4 oz.) tiny shrimp, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise (do not use Miracle Whip!)
- 1/3 c. finely chopped green onion, plus a bit more for sprinkling over the top
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Set aside a few of the nicer looking shrimp, then chop up the rest.
- In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and mayonnaise until well blended. A blender works best, to get the mixture nice and smooth. Then stir in the chopped shrimp, green onion, and garlic salt.
- Transfer dip to a small serving bowl and top with reserved whole shrimp and additional green onion. Sprinkle a bit of freshly ground black pepper over the top. Serve with crackers and/or veggies. This can be prepared several hours ahead of time and refrigerated.
from Mom's recipe box
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 184mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
This post was previously published in 2012. Photographs and some of the text were updated in 2018.
We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. See our disclosure policy for more info.