Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

Welcome to one of my favorite childhood Christmas memories! Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies.

These cookies have it all going on at once. Chocolate, creamy peanut butter, and crunchy buttery salty crackers. Very simply put, they’re an awesome homemade candy bar!

And you won’t believe how easy they are to make. With just 3 ingredients and no time in the oven, our youngest daughter helped me crank out a batch in about half an hour. Tessa was an awesome helper who took charge of laying out the bottom cracker layer and then sandwiching the PB with another cracker on top. She was also pretty darn good in the final testing department.  :smile:

I know there are many variations to this recipe. My friend Robyn at Add a Pinch stirs a little honey into the peanut butter layer, something I will definitely try next time. Others add Christmasy sprinkles or drizzles of colored candy coating. And some use expensive top-notch chocolate, shunning the chocolate bark used in the recipe of my childhood. While I’m known to tweak almost every recipe that crosses my counter top, I just couldn’t make these cookies with anything but chocolate bark. It’s about nostalgia.

Howeverrrrrrr…I did experiment with adding a sprinkling of sea salt this time around, an ingredient unfamiliar to the cookies I made as a kid. It’s just a little something to up the salt quantity and please my grown-up taste buds. So that addition would make this a 4 ingredient recipe. I only salted half the batch, as I wasn’t sure what the rest of my family would prefer. Turns out, both versions disappeared at about the same rate. FAST!!!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

Yield: 50 sandwich cookies

• 100 round buttery salted crackers, such as Ritz
  • 1-1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
  • 24 oz. chocolate bark
  • flaky sea salt or Christmas sprinkles, optional

If you are in a hurry, lay some wax paper on two baking sheets. This will allow you to place the chocolate dipped cookies in the refrigerator for a quick set. If you have a little more time, simply lay some wax paper on the counter and allow the cookies to set up there, which really only takes about 20 minutes.

Place a 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter into the center of half the crackers. No need to spread the peanut butter. Place the cracker with peanut butter on the counter and center another cracker on top. With one finger at the center of the top cracker, gently press the cracker down a bit. This will spread the peanut butter out in between the two crackers. Repeat until you have 50 sandwich cookies made.

In a medium sized bowl, melt the chocolate bark in the microwave (or use a double boiler on the stove top) on a low setting, stirring regularly. Take care to not let it scorch. When it is mostly melted, with just a few small lumps, stir the chocolate bark until it is completely smooth. Let it sit for a minute or so to cool just slightly. Then drop a sandwich cookie into the chocolate. Using a fork, quickly dunk the cookie to completely cover it with chocolate. Lift the cookie out with the fork and tap the fork handle lightly on the side of the bowl to force excess chocolate down through the fork’s tines. Bring the fork outward, dragging the bottom of the tines along the rim of the bowl, letting any other excess chocolate drip down the inside of the bowl. Place chocolate dipped cookie on the wax paper. Repeat until all cookies are dipped. If the chocolate becomes thick and difficult to work with, simply warm it up a bit in the microwave.

If you wish to top the cookies with sea salt or sprinkles, be sure to sprinkle the cookies before the chocolate bark sets up.

These freeze really well. Keep layers separated with wax paper.

From Mom's recipe box.

I’m linking up with the following this week:

60 Responses to “Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies”

Annemarie — December 9, 2011 at 8:54 am

Making today!

• farmgirl replied on December 10th, 2011 at 7:30 am

Yay!! :)

Laura @ The Art of Cooking Real Food — December 9, 2011 at 9:29 am

What a fun, easy recipe! I love it! I am co-hosting the #cookielove blog hop on my site all month long and I think these would be a perfect addition if you’d like to link them. They are great!

• farmgirl replied on December 10th, 2011 at 7:44 am

Thank you, Laura – Great to hear from you!

Maria — December 9, 2011 at 9:32 am

Always a hit during the holidays! Love these little cookies!

• farmgirl replied on December 10th, 2011 at 7:44 am

Thanks, Maria! :)

Mom — December 9, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Love the idea of the sea salt. Want to give that a try this year.

• farmgirl replied on December 10th, 2011 at 7:44 am

You’ll love the sea salt, Mom! xo

Terry Watson — December 9, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I just stopped by your blog and thought I would say hello. I like your site design. Looking forward to reading more down the road.

Paula — December 9, 2011 at 9:18 pm

My husband does not have a large sweet tooth but he does love peanut butter. I’m betting he would love these with your updated version that contains a little bit of the sea salt. Great looking cookie…your Mom’s recipe box certainly does contain some delightful treasures.

• farmgirl replied on December 10th, 2011 at 7:46 am

Yes, so many delightful treasures. I hope you and your husband likes these, Paula! xo

Katie — December 10, 2011 at 9:38 am

I love these cookies and the chocolate/peanut butter combination. Thanks for simplifying the process for us!

• farmgirl replied on December 11th, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Couldn’t be much simpler!! :) Nice to hear from you again, Katie.

Cee — December 10, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I forgot all about these! These are so yummy and I made a batch right away after reading your post. I always sweeten up the peanut butter by adding confectioners sugar. It also firms it up a bit.

• farmgirl replied on December 11th, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Another interesting variation – I’ll be sure to try that one out, thanks!

Lisa — December 10, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Thank you! I’ve always wanted to make these cookies, but never took the time to figure out how they’re made. these look delicious and I’m definitely going to make this this Christmas season!

• farmgirl replied on December 11th, 2011 at 9:38 pm

You’re welcome, Lisa – enjoy!!

becca — December 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Wow, so simple and they look fantastic. Now I’m really craving some Ritz crackers :D

• farmgirl replied on December 11th, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Thanks, Becca!

Julia — December 11, 2011 at 7:49 am

I stir in a little powdered sugar to the peanut butter, just to help ‘set it.’ But I’m guessing that’s because of the type of pb I use… honey, or nothing at all, I freaking love these little things!

• farmgirl replied on December 11th, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Guess I need to try the powdered sugar bit, too – you’re the second person who’s said that! Nice to hear from you again, Julia!

Amanda — December 11, 2011 at 10:55 am

These sound SO delicious. What a PERFECT Christmas treat!

• farmgirl replied on December 11th, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Delicious, indeed. I dare you to eat just one! ;)

Harriet — December 11, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Wow these look immense! I’m a big big fan of peanut butter although I have to ration it as if I could I’d eat it every day and get really fat!

Shaina — December 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Yum! We make these with Wheat Thins sometimes, too. They’re so easy and so good.

• farmgirl replied on December 12th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Now that’s a version I haven’t heard of – we love Wheat Thins, too – will have to try that out! Thanks, Shaina!

Heather {WhipperBerry} — December 11, 2011 at 11:37 pm

love love LOVE these… one of my favorites!!
    kisses
    heather

• farmgirl replied on December 12th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Thank you, Heather! :)

Diane {Created by Diane} — December 12, 2011 at 3:08 pm

these look wonderful!!!

• farmgirl replied on December 13th, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Thanks, Diane!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — December 12, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Oh my goodness, these are just the best things ever!! I could not stop eating them.

• farmgirl replied on December 13th, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Yaaaayyy!! So glad you liked them, Sylvie! :)

Jen {The Wholehearted Life} — December 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Hubby and I are making these right this very minute :). Yummmmm….peanut buttery chocolately salty crunchy delight :)

• farmgirl replied on December 15th, 2011 at 8:35 am

Hi Jen!! Love it!! xoxo

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — December 15, 2011 at 1:06 pm

These look so delicious and way too easy! Saw this posted on Tasty Kitchen. Very nice blog!

• farmgirl replied on December 18th, 2011 at 1:05 pm

So nice to hear from you, Tricia – thanks!!

Julie — December 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm

These are the best! My mom always made them too. Must be a Minnesotan thing! :)

• farmgirl replied on December 18th, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Or at least a “Midwest” sort of recipe, as I grew up in SD. But I’ll eat them in any state, for sure!! Nice to hear from you, Julie!

• April replied on December 19th, 2011 at 7:19 am

My grandma used to make these too…lol….from Iowa!

• farmgirl replied on December 19th, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Thanks, April! :)

Beth Michelle — December 17, 2011 at 8:55 am

Wow these look good!! I love that they are no bake too! Perfect!

• farmgirl replied on December 18th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Hello! They really couldn’t be much easier! Or addictive! ;)

Erika - The Teenage Taste — December 19, 2011 at 6:17 am

For something so simple I have to admit that these look pretty fancy! I bet they’d make a great holiday gift!

• farmgirl replied on December 19th, 2011 at 4:50 pm

That’s exactly what’s so spectacular about them, Erika – their simplicity! And I remember them being gifted as a kid, and they always made people happy. :)

Dan g — December 19, 2011 at 10:54 am

Thank you is all I can say! This blog post saved me from throwing everything away. I don’t do desserts well, and I figured this would be easy..until…the chocolate. I hate dipping and melting chocolate, hate hate hate, and I was using spoons. Then I was getting all crazy and came to foodgawer and saw your post and your detailed instructions on using the fork and tapping it on the bowl is what saved me. Simple things like this is what makes or breaks someone like me LOL. THank you again!!

• farmgirl replied on December 20th, 2011 at 9:55 pm

So glad I could help, Dan. Enjoy!!

sab — December 19, 2011 at 12:31 pm

ouch…it’s not human to show that

Alexis — December 26, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I made these cookies when I was little too but we use the vanilla bark but I love the chocolate ones too!

• farmgirl replied on December 27th, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I haven’t made them that way, but I’m sure my family would love those, too – they love anything dipped in vanilla bark!

chelsea — January 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm

love these! we make them every year at christmas time. my great grandfather found the recipe on a box of ritz years ago and he’s been making them ever since. until this past year…in which he passed down the coveted “cookie dipping fork” to me and my sister. now (97 years old) he just enjoys eating the ones we make for him and our great grandmother!

• Brenda replied on January 29th, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Thanks, Chelsea. I’ve never heard of this originating from the Ritz box – awesome to know! And I love that you have a coveted cookie dipping fork – AND a great grandpa who is 97 & is still enjoying them. WOW!!

Kristin — April 13, 2012 at 12:23 pm

My family makes a couple hundred of these for our annual cookie bake every Christmas. These are by far the most popular cookie though my sister-in-law always says, “But these aren’t a cookie!” Ours are a little different in that we spread one cracker with the pb and the other cracker with marshmallow fluff before sandwiching them together.

• Brenda replied on April 14th, 2012 at 8:52 am

Wow, that’s alotta sandwich cookies! I LOVE the idea of marshmallow fluff…will def be giving that a try, thank you!!

cheryl — December 13, 2012 at 7:42 pm

These are ridiculously good! Did you know that peanut butter and chocolate are my favorite??? Can you say Merry Christmas?

• Brenda replied on December 13th, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Why, yes, I do remember that. I think of you every time we make these. I’ll bring some home for Christmas. ;) xo

Teri — January 2, 2013 at 11:04 am

Can not thank you enough for this recipe!! Ritz crackers should be giving you a kick back from all the crackers I bought over the holiday. My family loved these. I wrapped mine in festive green foil and my kids/grandkids/sisters/brothers/mother/husband all thought I bought them. I decided to kick it up tad Christmas Eve ( nothing like cooking right up to the time you are walking out the door). I used Club crackers, made them triple layered and dipped them in white candy coating and added Christmas sprinkles on top. WONDERFUL!!! Thank you again!!

• Brenda replied on January 2nd, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Ahhhhh…triple decker sandwich cookies…love it!!!! :)

1. Pingback: Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

2. Pingback: » whoop whoop! cogs and cupcakes

3. Pingback: Peanut Butter Bonbons the Size of Texas {with toffee bits & potato chips}