Savory Squash Soup with Cranberry Relish

Wanna know why I like heading to the Mall of America at lunch time?  It’s all about this Savory Squash Soup at Wolfgang Puck Express.  Lusciously creamy and packed with tons of subtle flavors that meld so wonderfully together, this is my little bowl of happy comfort.

At the restaurant, they serve this soup with a red pepper coulis drizzled over the top.  And it’s really, really good.  I convinced Hatti to try my soup the last time we visited, and I didn’t get much of the rest of that coulis.  She loved it.  I couldn’t find the official recipe for that lovely sauce (I’ll be working on perfecting it on my own), but on the Wolfgang Puck website, they feature the squash soup with this cranberry relish.  I like cranberry.  So I gave it a shot.

And I’m so glad I did!  Visually, that beautiful ruby relish was very striking atop the golden soup.  And for the tastebuds?  Wow!  The cranberries cut right through the richness with their tart bright bite.  For as much as I kept adding cranberry relish to my bowl of soup, I’m considering renaming it Cranberry Squash Soup.  Yep, it was that yummy.

Now, if given the choice, I honestly don’t know which one I would choose.  Red pepper coulis or cranberry relish?  They are both scrumptious in their own special way.  Such a delicious dilemma to have.

Savory Squash Soup
(print recipe)

to roast the squash:
3-3/4 lbs. butternut squash
1-3/4 lbs. acorn squash
2 T. unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper (I used black pepper)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

to finish the soup:
4 T. unsalted butter
3/4 c. finely diced white onion
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. cardamom
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 T. brown sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
4 c. chicken stock
1 c. heavy cream
1 sprig fresh rosemary

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Cut each squash in half and discard seeds.  Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and brush the cut sides of the squash with it.  Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.  Arrange squash cut side down on baking pan (line pan with aluminum foil for easy clean-up).  Bake until tender, about 1-1/2 hours.

Cool the squash, then scoop out the insides.  Puree the flesh in a food processor and reserve.  (Yield:  4 to 5 cups of pureed squash)

In a medium stockpot, melt 4 tablespoons of butter.  Over low heat, sweat the onion.  Do not let it brown.  Add the pureed squash and cook over very low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.  Do not allow it to bubble up.  Season with the ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, brown sugar, and lemon juice.  Pour in the stock and bring to a boil, still over low heat, stirring often.  Cook 20 minutes.

In a small saucepan, heat the cream with the rosemary sprig.  Remove the rosemary and pour the cream into the soup.  Transfer to a blender or food processor and process, in batches, for 2 or 3 minutes.  I used an immersion blender.  Be careful – it’s HOT!  Add salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, ladle soup into bowls.  Place a heaping tablespoon of Cranberry Relish in the center.

Source:  adapted slightly from Wolfgang Puck

Cranberry Relish
(print recipe)

2 c. fresh cranberries
1/2 c. sugar
3 T. fresh lemon juice

In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients.  Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.  Continue to cook until the mixture is thick and the berries are glazed.  Allow to cool.  Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate until needed.

Serve with Savory Squash Soup.

Source:  Wolfgang Puck

18 Responses to “Savory Squash Soup with Cranberry Relish”

avril — November 1, 2010 at 10:22 am

What a wonderful wonderful soup! – and so is your blog! I found you from TK….and look forward to exploring your delicious recipes. :-)

farmgirl — November 1, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Hi Avril – thank you so much! And thanks for including me on your sidebar – I appreciate being included amongst all your yummies!

Vonda — November 1, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I love squash–I would love to try this!

• farmgirl replied on November 2nd, 2010 at 7:56 am

Hi Vonda – you should!! :-)

Amanda — November 2, 2010 at 7:33 am

This looks so beautiful… just perfection in a bowl!! Well done!

Blessings-
    Amanda

• farmgirl replied on November 2nd, 2010 at 7:58 am

Thanks much, Amanda!

WenDee Riffe — November 3, 2010 at 11:15 am

sounds delish~~i actually have the ings. to make this–so thats my supper!!!

• farmgirl replied on November 3rd, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Hi WenDee – how was supper?!

Kim @ Quit Eating Out — November 3, 2010 at 7:06 pm

It’s so funny… after I caught up on blog reading, I was going to hunt down a recipe for butternut squash soup bc I’ve been wanting to try my hand at making it….. And here it is! :) Thanks for the great recipe! Have a super night. PS ~ Wish I had that cheesecake in your last post in my fridge right now.

• farmgirl replied on November 3rd, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Hi Kim – thanks for stopping by. This really is a wonderful soup – wish I had some leftovers right now! I would love to hear what you think of it.

Andrea @ Simple Organized Living — November 4, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Wow…it looks delicious. I still can’t get over how lovely ALL your photos are!

The pumpkin cheesecake looks divine too. I can’t wait to make that again this year!

• farmgirl replied on November 4th, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Hi Andrea – it’s always so good to hear from you! I always feel boggled knowing I have so much yet to learn about photography, so thank you very much.

Cristina Sitz — December 14, 2010 at 7:06 am

The best squash soup ever made. I keep this one with my favorites from NYC to now Madrid. Still making it every year!

• farmgirl replied on December 14th, 2010 at 9:29 am

Thanks for stopping by, Cristina!

Mary@FitandFed — September 29, 2012 at 6:36 pm

How nice to add another touch of fall to the butternut and acorn squash soup with the cranberry relish. It looks beautiful. And you have a rich variety of spices in there, rosemary and a number of warm spices including one of my favorites, cardamom. Great version of squash soup!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Savory Squash Soup with Cranberry Relish -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Simple Organized Thanksgiving! « Simple Organized Living