Prosecco Margarita, a big-batch recipe perfect for entertaining and celebrating. If you’ve ever wondered how to make a pitcher of margaritas, this sparkling drink is super fun and delicious!
A Sparkling Margarita Always Wins!
There’s just nothing like a crisp, cold margarita. That’s my motto, anyway!
And you know me, I love to mix things up. Sometimes I’m craving simplicity, just a straightforward classic margarita. And other times I’m looking for one with a little bling.
This Prosecco Margarita is one of my favorite margarita twists, a fun way to serve sparkly drinks to our friends and family. It’s a big batch margarita recipe, perfect for special occasions and entertaining.
Just combine a few ingredients (except the prosecco) ahead of time. Then when your guests arrive, divide the margarita mixture amongst individual glasses, and top them off with a chilled bottle of Prosecco. I LOVE the celebratory bubbles in these prosecco margaritas! ENJOY!!
Here are a few more margarita recipes you should try! My Rhubarb Margarita is so tasty and pretty, a favorite for spring and summer gatherings. I always get lots of great feedback from this Orange Margarita. And if you like a little spice with your tequila, try this smoky Jalapeno Mezcal Margarita, a super fresh tasting Spicy Cucumber Margarita, or this gorgeous Pineapple Jalapeno Margarita!
Prosecco Margarita Ingredients
Drinks with prosecco are instantly celebratory – popping corks and bubbles are a sure sign of happy times! You’ll also be happy to know that this cocktail is made with just a few ingredients, very similar to a traditional margarita…but with bubbles!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Tequila – I use a blanco tequila in these prosecco margaritas, for its clean tequila flavor. But I also think an aged tequila would be lovely, just depends on what kind of flavor profile you’re after.
- Orange flavored liqueur – I grab Cointreau for this special cocktail; it’s my favorite orange liqueur. But if you like another one better, go ahead.
- Simple syrup – To add a touch of sweetness to the drink, although it’s completely optional. If you like your margaritas tart and dry, just leave it out!
- Lime juice and wedges – Only fresh squeezed lime juice, please! It simply gives the very best flavor. Add fresh lime wedges or pretty lime wheels for garnish, if desired.
- Prosecco – I usually use a bottle that’s on the sweeter side, labeled “Dry” or “Demi-Sec”, and then I adjust the simple syrup accordingly. Be sure to chill the prosecco, so it’s good and cold when you make the drinks!
Note: If you’re a fan of champagne, use that instead of prosecco. A champagne margarita will always be a winner!
How to Make a Pitcher of Margaritas
If you hold back from serving cocktails when entertaining – because of the measuring and mixing – then this pitcher drinks recipe is for you!
In this recipe, you’ll make the base margarita mix and prepare the glasses and garnishes up to a few hours prior to your guests arriving. Then when it’s party time, all you have to do is top the margarita mix with prosecco!
Here’s how to make this big batch margarita recipe ahead of time:
- Prepare margarita mix: In a jar or small pitcher, add the tequila, Cointreau, simple syrup, and fresh lime juice. Do this up to a few hours prior to serving the prosecco margaritas, and place in fridge to chill.
- Do you want salted rims? If salting glass rims, you can also prepare those up to a few hours ahead of time. Run the cut edge of a lime wedge around the rim of each glass and dip the rims into a small plate of coarse salt.
- Do you want lime garnish? If garnishing with fresh limes, you can prep this ahead of time also. Cut limes into wedges or thin wheels, and then place in a covered container in the fridge.
- Serve! Add ice to glasses and divide margarita mix amongst the glasses. Top off with prosecco. Give a little stir to combine, add lime garnish, and hand the glasses off to guests!
When To Serve Prosecco Cocktails
Bubbles are happy and life-celebrating and so much fun! While prosecco margaritas are absolutely perfect for special occasions, please don’t save bottles of bubbly for only special occasions, like I once did. It’s A-ok to pop a cork every now and then, “just because”!
With that being said, here are some ideas for when to serve this sparkling margarita:
- Cinco de Mayo – A margarita is the quintessential drink for celebrating this Mexican holiday.
- Holiday brunch – Think of this as a fun alternative to mimosas.
- Bridal shower – What a fun way to celebrate the bride-to-be!
- Anniversary celebration – Wedding anniversaries absolutely deserve a toast!
- Graduation – Pop a cork and make these margaritas to recognize a graduation. There’s a lot of time and effort that goes into getting a degree.
- Job promotion – Reward your spouse, a friend, or YOURSELF for all that hard work!
- L.I.F.E. – Sometimes we just gotta celebrate LIFE! Whatever your reason, this sparkly drink is a beautiful way to raise a glass.
What To Serve With Margaritas
Prosecco margaritas are crisp and refreshing, and go down smooth and easy. They just beg to be served with delicious food!
Here are some food ideas for you:
- Easy Fish Tacos with Roasted Pineapple – So much YUM!!
- Grilled Chipotle Orange Salmon – I love to entertain with this beautiful meal!
- Grilled Margarita Shrimp – One of my top favorite recipes EVER!
- Carnitas – This is a special favorite with our family and friends.
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail – A flavorful appetizer or light meal.
- Grilled Margarita Turkey Kebabs – I’m always up for kebabs!
- Mole Pork Tacos – With tender pork tenderloin and an easy shortcut mole.
- Grilled Honey Chipotle Chicken Kebabs – So much fun flavor!
- Mexican Corn Salad – You just gotta make this during sweet corn season!!
- Dorito Taco Salad – Super fun for a casual meal.
Like this recipe? Save it to Pinterest!
More delicious cocktail recipes for you!
- Pineapple Mint Julep Sangria – Another big-batch cocktail!
- Whiskey Sour – A classic cocktail that’s sweet & tart, made with just 3 ingredients.
- Paloma – Like grapefruit and tequila? Then this drink’s for you!
- Strawberry Gin & Tonic – A summery twist on the classic gin and tonic recipe, made with a beautiful fresh strawberry syrup.
- Rhubarb Mojito – An excellent cocktail for spring and summer, and it’s so pretty!
Prosecco Margarita, a big-batch recipe perfect for entertaining and celebrating! If you've ever wondered how to make a pitcher of margaritas, this sparkling drink is super fun and delicious!
- 3 ounces blanco tequila, or to taste
- 3 ounces orange flavored liqueur - I prefer Cointreau
- 4 ounces simple syrup*, or to taste
- 8 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice, or to taste
- 1 bottle (750-mL) chilled Prosecco - preferrably on the sweeter side, such as Dry or Demi-Sec
- Optional garnishes: coarse salt for rimming glasses, fresh lime wedges or wheels
- Make the margarita mix: To a jar or other container with a lid, add the tequila, Cointreau, simple syrup, and fresh lime juice. Place lid on jar. Prepare this mixture at least a couple hours prior to serving the margaritas, and place in refrigerator to chill.
- If salting the glass rims: You can also prepare glass rims up to a few hours ahead of time. Run the cut edge of a lime wedge around the rim of each glass and dip the rims into a small plate of coarse salt.
- If garnishing with lime: Uou can prep this ahead of time also. Cut limes into wedges or thin wheels, and then place in a covered container in the fridge.
- To serve: Add ice to prepared glasses. Give margarita mix a couple stirs to combine, then divide amongst the glasses. Top with Prosecco. Give a little stir to combine, and then taste test. Adjust for individual tastes by adding more simple syrup for sweetness or lime for tartness. Add lime garnish. Enjoy!
Instructions are written to prepare this big-batch drink up to a few hours prior to serving.
This recipe will make 4 medium-sized margaritas or 6 smaller ones.
* Simple syrup is super easy to make, and takes only about 5 minutes! In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature, and then store chilled in the refrigerator for up to a month. Use to sweeten any of your favorite beverages.
from a farmgirl's dabbles
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 101mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
The girls and I planted these bulbs together, and I always look forward to seeing them each year. They’re a sure sign of spring and Easter – wonderful reasons to celebrate!
This post was previously published April 2015, and then updated in 2018 and 2022.
THIS made Christmas Dinner 2020! We served these to our small family as soon as people walked in the door, along with some tamales and deviled eggs. I did ratchet up the simple syrup and tequila on a 1:1 basis, and provided extra tequila to folks who wanted a little more “kick!” They were so good that I didn’t go through the three bottles of wine that I planned to serve at dinner as folks had enough buzz and everyone was in a “good place” for the evening. This one is a keeper!