This Grilled Asparagus is an easy side dish that’s ready in just 20 minutes – and you only need asparagus, olive oil, salt & pepper! Paired with any protein, it’s a grill night favorite!
The Best Grilled Asparagus
I love asparagus. So every spring and summer, when asparagus is in its seasonal glory, I indulge to my heart’s content. We eat it every single week; it’s a regular on our dinner table.
Asparagus season also coincides with our Minnesota grilling season. So, naturally, Grilled Asparagus is one of our go-to summertime side dishes.
It’s quick, it’s easy, and with just olive oil, salt & pepper, it’s something I can always whip up, and it can be served with pretty much everything. I’m always amazed – for such little time, effort, and ingredients – how delicious this grilled side dish is!
Not to mention asparagus has a ton of health benefits. Quick, easy, and healthy is the name of my summertime cooking game!
What You’ll Need
Besides fresh asparagus, you only need 3 other ingredients – all pantry staples – to make this asparagus recipe. It just doesn’t get any easier or simpler than that!
- Asparagus – Thick spears are best for grilling. Skinny spears tend to overcook quickly and are more difficult to turn.
- Olive oil – For coating the asparagus.
- Salt & pepper – The simplest of ingredients yields the very best results for grilled asparagus!
The Best Way to Trim Asparagus
The easiest way to trim asparagus is to simply bend each spear sharply at the base. It will snap off at just the right place.
If you want a more uniform look, you can trim the ends with a knife after you snap them, or you can leave them as-is. I most often leave the ends as-is!
How to Make Grilled Asparagus
Grilling asparagus is easily my favorite way to cook asparagus because it’s so quick and easy – and I love the flavor from that grilled char!
- Preheat the grill. Heat the grill to high heat and make sure the grates are scrubbed clean.
- Season the asparagus. Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Grill. Place the asparagus on the preheated grill, perpendicular to the grates. Cook until they have a nice char and are tender-crisp. Roll halfway for even grill marks.
- Serve. Serve straight from the rimmed sheet pan or transfer to a serving platter.
How Long to Grill Asparagus?
The exact time it takes to grill your asparagus will depend on the thickness of the spears and the grill temperature. In general, for thick spears, over high heat, it takes 5 to 10 minutes.
I aim for a quick char that leaves the asparagus tender, yet still crisp. If you prefer softer asparagus, keep it on the grill for a few more minutes. Move the asparagus between direct and indirect heat/flames, depending on how much char you like.
Once you pull the asparagus from the grill, there are many ways to serve it. Keep it super simple and serve it as-is (what we most often do). Or squeeze some fresh lemon over the top. And/or sprinkle with a fresh grating of Parmesan cheese.
If you’d like to get more creative, here are some delicious ways to switch it up:
- Minced garlic, lightly sautéed in a little butter and olive oil
- Cooked bacon, crumbled
- Balsamic vinegar
- Crushed nuts
- Goat or feta cheese
- Sundried tomatoes
- Hot pepper flakes
- Buttermilk ranch, for drizzling or dipping – my family LOVES this homemade ranch!
- Herby Lemon Vinaigrette – a beautiful dressing to drizzle over the top.
Asparagus makes a great side dish to pretty much any protein, but I especially love it with grilled steak, whole grilled chicken, pork chops, and salmon. Add a baked potato and turn it into a complete, relatively healthy, and easy dinner!
Presentation-wise, I typically serve grilled asparagus super casually, straight from the rimmed sheet pan. When I want a little nicer/fancier feel, I just transfer the grilled spears to a serving platter.
Serve grilled asparagus hot (straight from the grill), warm, or at room temperature. It’s ALL good!!
More Grilled Side Dishes:
- Grilled Vegetable Salad
- Grilled Mini Sweet Peppers with Goat Cheese
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Grilled Romaine Salad
Like this recipe? Save it to Pinterest!
This Grilled Asparagus is an easy side dish that's ready in just 20 minutes - and you only need asparagus, olive oil, salt & pepper! Paired with any protein, it's a grill night favorite!
- 1 pound asparagus, thick spears are best (thicker spears are easier to turn on the grill, plus asparagus shrinks a bit when cooked)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to high heat, between 400° and 450°. Scrub grill grates clean.
- Snap off tough ends of the asparagus (bend the asparagus sharply at the base and it will snap at just the right place) and discard the ends. Trim the ends with a knife for a more refined look, or just use as-is.
- Place asparagus on a rimmed sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Toss with your hands or a tongs to coat evenly. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss again.
- Place asparagus on hot grill grates, perpendicular to the grates. Close grill lid and cook for 5 to 10 minutes total, rolling the spears halfway in between for even grill marks. Total cook time will depend on the size of your asparagus, grill temperature, and desired doneness. I aim for a quick char that leaves the asparagus tender, yet still crisp.
- Serve grilled asparagus super casually, straight from the rimmed sheet pan. Or transfer to a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature, with fresh lemon wedges and a sprinkling of lemon zest if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 45Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 331mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.