This Cranberry Margarita is tart and refreshing with cranberry and lime. It’s perfect any time of the year, but makes an especially festive Thanksgiving or Christmas margarita during the holidays!
Easy Christmas Margarita Recipe
Because I like to have a margarita for every occasion and season… Hello, Cranberry Margarita!
A classic margarita is my year-round go-to, but it’s nice to have some seasonal, more festive options. And this one with cranberry is a great choice during the holidays – a perfect Thanksgiving and/or Christmas margarita recipe!
This gorgeous cocktail is extra tart and refreshing, thanks to both the cranberry and limes. It offers great contrast to the comfort foods and creamier drinks (like eggnog and eggnog cocktails and white Russians) of the season.
Serve this as a pre-dinner cocktail, to kick off an evening with friends and family. Or shake some up for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year’s. You can even make a whole pitcher (measurements included below). Fa, la, la, la, la!
What You’ll Need
This easy cranberry margarita is made with just 4 ingredients plus garnishes. Scroll down to the recipe box for measurements.
- Tequila – See notes below.
- Cranberry juice – When it comes to cranberry cocktails, I’m a stickler for “100% pure cranberry juice”, and prefer to use one that’s not from concentrate. I can always find this fresh-pressed cranberry juice at local grocery stores. Many labels include a few other kinds of juice, and are not pure cranberry (their labels read “100% juice”, but only some of it is actually cranberry) – so be aware of that.
- Lime juice – Lime juice adds bright, fresh acidity to the margarita. Make sure it’s freshly squeezed!
- Orange liqueur – Orange liqueur is a classic addition to margaritas. I use Cointreau but a quality triple sec would also work.
- Garnishes – I like to add fresh cranberries and lime wheels as festive red & green garnish for this holiday margarita.
Note: This margarita is a super tart one, when using 100% pure cranberry juice and fresh lime juice. If you’d like some sweetness, feel free to add a bit of simple syrup, agave syrup, or honey.
What Type of Tequila Is Best For This Margarita?
The most important thing is to use a tequila that you enjoy drinking. There’s no need for top-shelf liquor here but I do recommend a good quality tequila. Stay away from the cheap stuff. You will taste the difference!
Do I Need To Add a Sweetener?
I usually add a touch of sweetness to most margaritas – whether that be simple syrup, agave, or honey. It just depends on my mood.
I would recommend tasting the margarita before adding any (shake it with ice first, to get it chilled and diluted), and then adjust if needed. It’s super easy to add sweetness if you find it too tart for your liking.
This recipe makes 2 drinks, so I’d recommend starting with 1/4 to 1/2 ounce of simple syrup – taste test and go from there!
How To Make a Cranberry Margarita
You can whip this Christmas margarita up in no time! 10 minutes and your cocktail is ready to be served.
- Salt the rim. If you like your margaritas with a salt rim, simply run a wedge of lime around the edges of the glasses then dip straight down into a small dish of coarse salt.
- Shake the ingredients. Add the ingredients to a cocktail shaker (or mason jar) full of ice. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Do not skip this step, as it perfectly chills and dilutes the drink.
- Serve. Strain into ice-filled glasses. Garnish with fresh cranberries and lime wheels.
Can I Turn This Into a Big Batch Margarita?
Want to serve this Christmas margarita at your next party? Here’s how to turn this into a big batch margarita cocktail.
- Add the ingredients to a pitcher. Fill a pitcher halfway with ice. Add 1½ cups tequila, 1 cup cranberry juice, ½ cup orange liqueur, and ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Stir. Stir vigorously for 30 seconds to thoroughly chill and dilute.
- Serve. Strain and divide amongst prepared ice-filled glasses, adding more ice if desired. Garnish with fresh cranberries and lime wheels, and enjoy.
Can This Be Made in Advance?
If you want to make this cranberry margarita in advance, follow the directions above for a big batch margarita but don’t add the ice. Instead, place the pitcher in the fridge until serving.
Then, when ready to serve, add a big bunch of ice to the pitcher and stir everything vigorously for 30 seconds. Strain into prepared ice-filled glasses, and garnish.
More Easy Margarita Recipes:
- Orange Margarita
- Bourbon Margarita
- Prosecco Margarita
- Pineapple Jalapeno Margarita
- Watermelon Margarita
- Strawberry Margarita
- Blueberry Margarita
- Pink Lemonade Margarita
Like this recipe? Save it to Pinterest!
- 3 ounces blanco tequila
- 3 ounces pure 100% cranberry juice preferably not from concentrate
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce orange liqueur
- Fresh cranberries and lime wheels for garnish
- (Optional) For a salt rim, run a wedge of lime around the edges of two glasses and then dip the rims into coarse salt. Set aside.
- Fill a cocktail shaker (or mason jar) with ice. Add the tequila, cranberry juice, lime juice, and orange liqueur. Shake vigorously for a full 30 seconds, to perfectly chill and dilute.
- Strain into prepared glasses and garnish with fresh cranberries and lime wheels. Add additional ice if desired.