Homemade Chocolate Magic Shell over Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Do you believe in MAGIC?!

Back in the late 80′s, when I worked behind the counter of our local small town summer drive-in, I had the privilege of adding an extra spoon or two of hard shell topping to my ice cream as I walked out the door each day. Some days chocolate, other days cherry. And if I was having an especially fabulous day…I’d compose a frozen concoction using both chocolate AND cherry! To this day, it’s very hard for me to pass up a dipped cone at Dairy Queen. It’s just too much fun!

I know that creating Magic Shell at home is not exactly a new concept. But I had been a skeptic, never truly believing that I could actually create that fascinating stuff in my own kitchen.

Until Jeni recently convinced me to give it a whirl…

And I’m here to tell all of you Homemade Magic Shell Naysayers, this is the real deal, folks!!

It’s SO EASY!

Just melt some chocolate with coconut oil. That’s it! Because coconut oil is liquid when warm, and hard and crunchy when cold, it will transform into a brittle shell when poured over frozen ice cream. It really is MAGIC attainable at home!

We wowed more children of the 80′s this summer when we brought this Homemade Chocolate Magic Shell over Peanut Butter Ice Cream to a backyard party. It made my heart smile to see our friends’ faces light up over the simple joy this combination of flavors brings. We were just a bunch of big kids spooning up tasty visions of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

The chocolate magic shell couldn’t be easier to assemble. And as far as homemade ice cream goes, this peanut butter ice cream is one of the simplest. It’s a family favorite, the most popular flavor we make at home. I do hope you’ll give this combo a try. And then come back and let me know you believe in MAGIC, too!

Homemade Chocolate Magic Shell over Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Yield: Makes enough magic shell for 10 to 12 servings.

for the chocolate magic shell:
  • 6 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 1/3 c. coconut oil
  • for the peanut butter ice cream:
  • Peanut Butter Ice Cream

for the chocolate magic shell:

Combine chocolate chips and coconut oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir frequently until chocolate is almost melted. Remove from heat and stir until completely melted and smooth. Let cool a bit and use right away. Or store in a covered container in the refrigerator, where the cold will change it from liquid to solid. To use after it has been refrigerated, warm the magic shell gently in the microwave, stirring frequently, and taking care to not overheat. Then spoon over scoops of ice cream. Let sit for a minute or two before eating, to let the magic shell completely harden.

Chocolate Magic Shell adapted from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home.

I’m linking up with:

26 Responses to “Homemade Chocolate Magic Shell over Peanut Butter Ice Cream”

Emily @ She Makes and Bakes — August 31, 2012 at 8:49 am

I love a chocolate dipped cone at DQ, and this recipe looks great. The only thing is…does it taste like coconut? I’m not a fan, but I’d love to make this at home!

• Brenda replied on August 31st, 2012 at 9:17 am

Hi Emily! Jeni talks about this in her book. She says that unrefined coconut oil, which I haven’t found in the store yet, has a pronounced coconut flavor. I use refined and can’t detect any coconut flavor.

Donna — August 31, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Wow Brenda! This is a real winner recipe and I can’t wait to try it with my ice cream loving family this Labor Day Holiday weekend! Thank you for the recipe!

I hope you and your family have a fun and safe Labor Day Holiday weekend! :-)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — August 31, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I’m going to have to try this with my family this weekend!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 31, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Chocolate plus peanut butter is always a winner!

Becca - Cookie Jar Treats — August 31, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Oh man I used to adore chocolate shell. I loves how it mediately turned solid as it hit the ice cream but it poured out so quickly, like it’s the most liquidy liquid you can get. And this is so much simpler than the magic shell stuff at the store. The other day I was looking at the stuff and I saw waaaaay too many ingredients for just a simple chocolate shell ice cream topping :/

Your photos are beautiful by the way. How do you get your ice cream to look so dang perfect!? :P

Paula — August 31, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Oh my! I’m so happy that you shared this with us. There’s still a few days of summer left and at least one of them will have me making and serving chocolate magic shells :)

Mom — August 31, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thanks for this special treat last weekend. Loved it!!

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — September 1, 2012 at 10:21 am

I’ve been wanting to try this magic shell! I have a little coconut oil left in a jar, just begging to be mixed with chocolate and poured over ice cream. Can’t wait to try it!

• Brenda replied on September 4th, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I seriously can’t stop eating the stuff. Sooooo good!!!

Ayshela — September 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

If you don’t want to risk scorching your chocolate, you can put the container from the fridge into a bowl of hot water and stir as it melts. It takes a bit longer, but is safer for the chocolate. =)

• Brenda replied on September 4th, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Thank you! :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — September 1, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Well I always have chocolate and coconut oil on hand so I know what I’ll be doing with my next bowl of ice cream!

Amanda — September 2, 2012 at 4:04 pm

My kids are going to LOVE this!

nest of posies — September 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm

this looks awesome! my kids will love it!

• Brenda replied on September 4th, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Help! I canNOT stop eating it!!!! ;)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — September 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Yes. please!!!!

marla — September 9, 2012 at 6:30 am

Love this!! No need to ever buy the packaged stuff!

inessa — September 11, 2012 at 12:31 am

look delicious!

Danae — January 31, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Fabulous! Quinn was at the grocery store with me last week and saw the “shell chemical” on the shelf. That stuff scares me! I told her no, but didn’t tell her why (it frightens your mother.) They will be so excited. We eat ice cream year round!

• Brenda replied on February 6th, 2013 at 7:55 am

Hi Danae! This homemade magic shell is completely dangerous for me to have around. I usually have a batch in the fridge at all times. Makes me feel like a kid again!! :)

• Danae replied on June 2nd, 2013 at 6:44 pm

OK. Finally made it yesterday. All the vanilla ice cream in the house is officially gone now. Will start adding it to the flavored ice cream. WOW!!! I bought the coconut oil at Trader Joe’s and it does leave a bit of coconut flavor. As a coconut lover – I have no problem with it. Kinda like a Mound’s Candy Bar Ice Cream Dream!! LOVE IT!

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2013 at 7:50 am

I agree – I love the coconut oil that tastes like coconut (less refined) for this recipe, total Mounds love! This is such a fun treat to keep on hand – I find that it keeps really well in the fridge for a number of weeks. Here’s to summer!!

1. Pingback: peanut butter ice cream with homemade magic shell. | Cooking Pics

2. Pingback: This is your Brain on Coconut Oil | BodyQuirks Massage Therapy Studio

3. Pingback: Homemade Marshmallow Cream