Blueberry Jam with Mint

I bounced back and forth, back and forth, trying to decide if I should share this recipe for Blueberry Jam with Mint. I wondered if people would think that 3 blueberry posts in a row was excessive. Or if they might say, “Hmmmmm…I’m just not so sure of that flavor combination”, because I’ve heard that same uncertainty from some of my family and friends already.

But Blake convinced me to put it out there. He obviously likes it. And our girls come running when I announce that an appetizer of crackers, goat cheese, and blueberry mint jam is waiting for them. Yes, they LOVE it!

It really does deserve to be shared.

I adore freezer jam, as it’s just so darn easy. But when I finished reading The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook, I vowed to properly can some jam this summer. If you haven’t had the chance to check out this cookbook by Rachel Saunders, I highly recommend it. It’s just plain gorgeous. From the lovely photos to the thick papery pages, the book is delightful. And it totally makes me want to move to the west coast to jam, as I was blown away by the variety of gourmet fruit that Saunders has at her jamming disposal. I want to taste each and every one of the fruits that make an appearance in her coffee table worthy book.

The Blueberry Jam with Mint is all I hoped it would be. Intensely dark and fruity. Subtly cool and clean. Intriguing, really. I’ve never had anything quite like it.

After my first spoonful, I knew I wanted to taste it on a salty cracker smothered in tangy goat cheese. And to this day, this is how my family prefers to eat it.

But if I can tempt you further…try it spooned over yogurt or vanilla bean ice cream, or spread it on steaming yeasted waffles or popovers. Trust me, it’s all good.

blueberry picking at Rush River Produce

Did you catch our blueberry picking outing?
If not, check it out right here!

Print Print Recipe

Blueberry Jam with Mint

• 3 (8″) sprigs peppermint
  • 2 pounds 10 ounces fresh blueberries
  • 1 pound 10 ounces white cane sugar
  • 6 ounces strained freshly squeezed lemon juice

* Special equipment needed:  four to five 8-ounce jars, rims, and lids, a large stock pot, and a jar lifter utensil

Prepare for water bath canning. This recipe uses 8-ounce jars, which are not very tall, so I leave my huge enamelware canning pot sit in the cupboard. I pull out a big stock pot instead. You just need a tall pot that allows water to cover the jar tops by 1″. Wash five 8-ounce jars and set them in your pot. Fill pot with enough water to cover the jars with 1″ of water. Bring to a boil over high heat to sterilize the jars. Covering the pot with the lid will speed up the boiling process.

Put your jar lids in a small pan with enough water to just cover them. Bring to a slow simmer and keep hot until you fill the jars with jam.

Place a saucer with 5 metal teaspoons in a flat place in your freezer for testing the jam later. Rinse the mint well under cool water and pat it dry with a kitchen towel. Set aside.

Combine the blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a wide nonreactive pan. Place the pan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the juice begins to run from the berries. When the juice starts flowing freely, increase the heat to high. Continue to cook, stirring very frequently, until the mixture boils. Once it reaches a boil, cook it for 10 to 15 minutes more, stirring frequently, and decreasing the heat slightly if the jam starts to stick. Begin testing for doneness after 10 minutes.

To test the jam for doneness, carefully transfer a scant half-teaspoonful of jam to one of your frozen spoons. Be careful to not add too much, as that will alter your doneness results – just a skimpy half of a teaspoon is all you want! Replace the spoon with the jam in the freezer for 3 minutes. Remove from the freezer once again and carefully feel the underside of the spoon. It should be neither warm nor cold. If it is still warm, return it to the freezer for a moment. Tilt the spoon vertically to see whether the jam runs. If it does not run, it is ready. If it does run, cook the jam for another minute, stirring, and test again as needed. I cooked mine just a bit too long. Next time I make this, I will stop when it runs ever so slightly. I waited for it to not run at all, which resulted in a very thick jam. I would prefer it to be a little more loose.

Turn off the heat under the pan of blueberries. Do not stir. Using a stainless steel spoon, skim any foam off the top off the jam. Place the mint sprigs into the jam and let steep for a minute or two off the heat. Taste carefully and either remove the mint or leave it in for another minute or two. Keep in mind that its flavor will be slightly milder once the jam has cooled. When the flavor is strong enough for you, use tongs to discard the mint.

Pour the jam into your sterilized jars, leaving 1/2″ headspace at the top. Use a damp paper towel to wipe the rims of the jars clean, then put a hot flat lid and a ring on each jar, adjusting the ring so that it’s just finger-tight.

Return the filled jars to the stock pot, making sure the water covers the jars by at least 1″. Bring to a boil. I put the lid on the pot to speed up the boiling. Then boil for 10 minutes to process.

Remove the jars to a folded towel on the counter, setting them about 1″ apart. Do not disturb for 12 hours. As the jam cools, you may hear a few little pops as the lids seal. Before putting your jam away, be sure to feel the top of each lid to verify that it has sealed. It should be curving in very slightly in the middle and not be able to be pushed down any further. If any jars have not sealed, keep them in the refrigerator. Label the sealed jars and store for up to 1 year in a cool dark place. After you open a jar, keep it in the refrigerator.

I’m linking up with the following this week:

Cheryl at TidyMom for I’m Lovin’ It (Strawberry & Chocolate Nachos)
Allison at Alli ‘n Son for Sweet Tooth Friday (Monster Cereal Bark)
Robyn at Add a Pinch for Mingle Monday (Mingle Monday Loves from 08.15.11)
Rachel at A Southern Fairytale for Mouthwatering Monday (Homemade Chicken Pot Pie)

31 Responses to “Blueberry Jam with Mint”

Katie — August 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I for one will absolutely vouch for this flavor combination. I’ve enjoyed my share of blueberry mojitos, and I find the mint and blueberry go together perfectly. What a great jam idea!

• farmgirl replied on August 19th, 2011 at 10:33 am

A blueberry mojito sounds so perfect! I was treated to a sangria this summer with blueberries and bourbon. It was exquisite. So nice to hear from you again, Katie – thanks!

Shaina — August 18, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Gorgeous! Love the mint addition. We made jam tonight from the last of our raspberries and a few peaches. I was so sad to have missed blueberry picking this year. We got too busy right during that window.

• farmgirl replied on August 19th, 2011 at 10:40 am

Thanks, Shaina. Raspberry peach sounds so warm and summery. Hopefully the blueberry picking next year will be more abundant and you can fit it in your schedule. Now that I’ve finally picked my own, it’s going to be hard to let our MN blueberry season pass me by!

KB and Whitesnake — August 19, 2011 at 2:05 am

Looks delish.

We’d love you to share your recipes with us at
    Simply Delish Saturday

• farmgirl replied on August 19th, 2011 at 10:42 am

Thanks! I’ll check it out.

Linda — August 19, 2011 at 5:56 am

That does seem an unusual combination, but if your whole family likes it, that is a good indicator of how good it is! :)

I have really enjoyed your blueberry posts, especially blueberry picking day! It reminded me of the one time I went blueberry picking in Texas. I couldn’t get over how juicy a fresh blueberry was, straight from the bush. I had previously only had store-bought ones and wasn’t impressed at all with those. I’ve been a fan ever since!

• farmgirl replied on August 19th, 2011 at 10:46 am

Hi, LInda! There’s nothing like a blueberry, fresh from the bush. Now we know and can appreciate!

JamieAnne — August 19, 2011 at 8:17 pm

That looks wonderful!

• farmgirl replied on August 19th, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Thank you!!

Paula — August 20, 2011 at 8:37 am

Looks and sounds wonderful. I really should attempt making jams at some point. There’s a home based business in the city that makes delicious jams combining some of the most unique ingredients. Strawberry Balsamic, Blueberry Lavender etc. I love his jams and often top my baked brie with them. Your blueberry mint may just be wonderful on the brie with some roasted walnuts.

• farmgirl replied on August 22nd, 2011 at 5:24 am

Thanks, Paula. It really is interesting, all the different flavors of jams. Your brie suggestion sounds wonderful, too – will keep that one in mind!

Angela @ angelaskitchen.com — August 20, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Love it! I am going to have to try this one. I need more ideas for the berries I am being overcome by… So many this year!

AND am so loving that you put correct processing procedure on there! As a Master Food Preserver (yes, I am a geek!), I see WAY too many scary canning posts on the net. Yours is yummy and safe! Yay! Again, proving you rock!

• farmgirl replied on August 22nd, 2011 at 5:29 am

Thanks, Angela – great to hear from you!! Do you have your own blueberry bushes?! Regarding the processing…I was surprised to find alot of other procedures out there, too. I just felt more comfortable doing it how I was taught by Mom. :)

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — August 22, 2011 at 10:53 am

I found you on Mingle Monday! I have been getting some lovely blueberries at our local farmers market and I haven’t made any jam with them yet. I love this recipe and I must try it with the few pints of blueberries I picked up over the weekend.

• farmgirl replied on August 22nd, 2011 at 11:19 am

So nice to meet you, Jennifer – enjoy your jam making!

Gina — August 22, 2011 at 3:59 pm

WOW- that sounds & looks so good. I’m loving that last image- really makes me want to head to the kitchen.

• farmgirl replied on August 27th, 2011 at 10:33 am

Thank you, Gina – so nice to hear from you!

Phoo-d — August 27, 2011 at 8:28 pm

This looks marvelous! We ordered in some Blue Chair jam for ourselves and for Christmas gifts this last year. The Black and Blue jam was one of my favorites. I have been eying the cookbook but wondered if it had a lot of fruits that were impossible to find in the Midwest. What do you think?

• farmgirl replied on August 29th, 2011 at 11:53 am

Hi Annie! I haven’t actually had any of the jam they sell, but you’re making me think I need to order some, too. The cookbook does have alot of fruits I’ve never before heard of, but that made it part of why I loved it so much. And the book is just plain beautiful. There are still plenty of recipes for us here in the midwest. I have several others marked to try.

Kasey — September 6, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I just made (and posted) about this jam, too, and am completely smitten. Not only with the jam, but with the entire cookbook! Gorgeous photos.

Xanax — January 27, 2013 at 9:33 am

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back
    to your blog? My blog site is in the very same niche as yours
    and my users would certainly benefit from some of the information you provide here.

Please let me know if this ok with you. Many thanks!

Debra — May 31, 2013 at 6:59 pm

No, you cannot have too many blueberry posts in a row. And, I hope you CAN have a comment posted two years late!

I love Rachel’s book and have made many of her jams but I just tried the blueberry ones today. (This one an adaptation on her “East Coast Blueberry Jam.”)

And if you haven’t tried this with chocolate mint, you are missing something, indeed!

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2013 at 7:53 am

Of course, I love new comments on my old posts, thank you! And chocolate mint? Oh my!!

jyothi — January 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm

made this today. followed the. instructions for Canning. simpler and easy to follow. Thank you. I had had Strawberry. n mint preserve back in India. got the confirmation from your blog that I cud do that with blueberries too.

• Brenda replied on January 28th, 2014 at 7:25 am

So glad you liked it!!

JanZ — October 24, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe. I am planning to make blueberry and mint jam tonight.

1. Pingback: Overnight Oats Recipe | Overnight Blueberry Oats | Two Peas & Their Pod

2. Pingback: Home Canned Cherries. | grey & brianna's