Mom’s Peach Pie
My favoritest pie in all the world, you ask?
Definitely my mom’s peach pie. Made by Mom. Nothing beats it. And, no, I am not biased!
Our girls and I took a little road trip last week to visit my parents. As soon as I walked in the door that first evening, I spied that big box of peaches. Then I saw Mom’s trusty Betty Crocker cookbook sitting open, showing off the pie of my deepest longings. I knew we were in for a treat.
When I woke up the following morning, Mom was already at it. The bottom crust was resting peacefully in the pie pan and the peaches were peeled, cut, and nestled in. She was carefully cutting the lattice strips as I poured myself a cup of coffee and tried to focus my sleepy eyes.
The aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg begged me to sit down and take it all in. Watching Mom make a pie is very soothing for me. She is a well oiled machine. Full of calm confidence, Mom is able to engage in tickles and conversation with her grandkids while still assembling the best pie on the planet.
- 5 c. sliced fresh peaches
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 T. flour
- 3-1/2 T. minute tapioca, divided
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 T. butter
- milk for washing lattice crust
- course sugar for lattice crust
- pastry for 9″ two-crust pie
- Roll out bottom crust and sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon tapioca on bottom of crust.
- Place sliced peaches in large bowl. Stir in lemon juice, sugar, flour, remaining 3 tablespoons tapioca, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour into pie crust. Dot with the butter.
- Roll out top crust and cut into strips. Top peaches with lattice crust. Brush lattice lightly with milk. Sprinkle lattice with course sugar. Bake at 375° for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Source: adapted from Betty Crocker’s Pie and Pastry Cookbook, 1968 edition
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 138mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 40gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
On November 15th, 2010, I linked this pie up at TidyMom for Cheryl’s “Love the Pie Party!” Check it out!
We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. See our disclosure policy for more info.