Rhubarb Cheesecake Pie
My husband is not a pie man.
But this pie? This is one he’s been known to bring home “for me” on occasion from a local family restaurant known for its pies. Named “Rhubarb Delight”, it has a pressed in shortbread crust filled with layers of rhubarb and cheesecake, topped off with a thin spread of sweetened sour cream. I attempted last spring to recreate this beauty, but without success. Our yard’s rhubarb supply was depleted before I could get the recipe completely right.
So when this spring rolled around, and I was armed with a fresh crop of rhubarb, I picked up where I left off. And I now have it! This Rhubarb Cheesecake Pie could run shoulder to shoulder with Little Miss Rhubarb Delight. I personally think it’s even a bit better, with a slightly thicker layer of sweet and tart rhubarb.
My whole family is happy to now have this recipe on file. Especially my husband. Because it’s his favorite pie.
And he’s no pie man.
for the crust:
- 1.25 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
for the rhubarb layer:
- 2 c. chopped rhubarb
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 T. all-purpose flour
for the cream cheese layer:
- 12 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
for the sour cream layer:
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1 T. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. With a rigid pastry blender, cut in the butter until crumbly. Press the dough on the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan, aiming for a uniform thickness all over. Do this with a gentle yet firm hand. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the rhubarb, sugar, and flour. Pour over the pie crust and gently spread evenly across the bottom. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until creamy, about 1 minute or so. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Then add the vanilla and beat just to combine. Pour cream cheese mixture over the hot rhubarb in the pie pan. There will be accumulated liquid from the rhubarb, so gently spread the cream cheese evenly across the rhubarb, out to the outer crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- While the cream cheese layer is baking, make the sour cream layer. In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, sugar, and vanilla. Immediately after the cheesecake layer has baked for 25 minutes, spread the sour cream layer over the center of the pie, leaving about 1/2'' of the cream cheese layer exposed around the edges.
- Put the pie back in the oven and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack and then chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. Store refrigerated.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.