Rhubarb Cheesecake Pie
This Rhubarb Cheesecake Pie features an easy pressed-in crust that tastes like a buttery shortbread cookie. It’s filled with layers of sweet-tart rhubarb and creamy cheesecake, and a thin topping of sweetened sour cream. Absolutely delightful!
The Best Rhubarb Cheesecake Pie
It’s a pie. It’s a cheesecake. Hello, my friends – it’s Rhubarb Cheesecake Pie!
This incredible rhubarb pie recipe is my own riff on a local restaurant‘s “Rhubarb Delight” pie that our whole family loves. It features an easy pressed-in crust that tastes like a buttery shortbread cookie (so good!!) – and filled with layers of sweet-tart rhubarb and creamy homemade cheesecake, then topped with a thin spread of sweetened sour cream.
I hope you enjoy this delightful pie as much as our family does!
Like rhubarb pie? Be sure to also check out my grandma’s Rhubarb Custard Pie!
Just look at all those beautiful layers, let’s make this!
What You’ll Need
This pie has an easy-to-make pressed-in crust that’s filled with 3 distinct layers of deliciousness. As you can see, even with the four different portions, there are still very few ingredients involved!
- Salt – just a pinch
- Butter – at room temperature
- Rhubarb – chopped
- Cream cheese – at room temperature
- Vanilla extract
Sour Cream Layer:
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
How to Make This Rhubarb Pie
Let’s break it down, layer by layer. It’s easy, I promise!
- Combine dry ingredients and then cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Press mixture onto bottom and up sides of pie pan, then set aside.
- Stir together rhubarb, sugar, and flour.
- Spread mixture evenly over bottom of pie crust.
- Bake at 325° F for 15 minutes, then remove pie plate from the oven and set aside.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla.
- Spread mixture evenly over the hot rhubarb in the pie plate.
- Increase oven to 350° F, then bake for 25 minutes more.
Sour Cream Layer:
- Stir together sour cream, sugar, and vanilla.
- Once cheesecake layer is done baking, immediately spread this sour cream mixture over the top of the pie, leaving a bit of the cheesecake layer exposed around the perimeter.
- Bake 15 minutes more, and then remove pie to a cooling rack.
- Let the pie cool to room temperature.
- Place in the fridge to chill.
Just a few tips, for the best rhubarb pie with a layer of homemade cheesecake!
- Create a uniform crust thickness. When pressing the crust onto the bottom and sides of the pie pan, aim for the same thickness all over. This ensures that the crust will bake evenly, with no overdone/underdone areas.
- Press in the crust firmly, yet gently. If you press in the crust extra hard, the crust will not be as flaky and will be harder to cut. On the other hand, if you press it in too loosely, the crust can be somewhat crumbly. So use a firm, yet gentle hand.
- Let cream cheese come to room temperature. You want the cream cheese to be perfectly softened, so you don’t end up with lumps. If you can easily press your finger into the center, it’s ready to go!
- Chill thoroughly before serving. For the best flavor and firmed-up texture, be sure to let the pie chill for at least 2 hours.
Can I Use Frozen Rhubarb?
I get this question a lot with rhubarb recipes. And while I will often say that frozen rhubarb will work in a pinch, I believe you should use only fresh rhubarb for this pie. When rhubarb thaws, it releases a lot of moisture and the rhubarb itself gets very soggy and limp – which isn’t good for the crust, as the rhubarb bakes directly on the crust.
How to Serve Rhubarb Cheesecake Pie
Serve this cheesecake dessert straight from the fridge or within 20-25 minutes after removing it from the refrigerator. Cheesecake is always best enjoyed chilled!
I like to serve this pie with dollops of fluffy, very-lightly-sweetened whipped cream. If you want to go the extra mile when serving this to guests, press a thin slice of fresh rhubarb into the whipped cream!
How to Store
This pie definitely needs to be stored in the refrigerator. It will keep well in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
More Rhubarb Dessert Recipes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Rhubarb Custard Cake
- Rhubarb Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars
- Lemon Rhubarb Scones with Vanilla Bean Glaze
- Raspberry Rhubarb Skillet Coffee Cake
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
Like this recipe? Save it to Pinterest!
for the crust:
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
for the rhubarb layer:
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
for the cheesecake layer:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
for the sour cream layer:
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- For the crust: Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. With a rigid pastry blender, cut in the butter until crumbly. Press mixture on the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan, aiming for a uniform thickness all over. Do this with a gentle yet firm hand. Set aside.
- For the rhubarb filling: In a medium bowl, stir together the rhubarb, sugar, and flour. Spread evenly over the bottom of the pie crust. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 350° F.
- For the cheesecake layer: In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until creamy, about 1 minute or so. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Then add the vanilla and beat just to combine. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over the hot rhubarb in the pie pan (there will be accumulated liquid from the rhubarb). Bake for 25 minutes.
- For the sour cream layer: While the cheesecake layer is baking, make the sour cream layer. In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, sugar, and vanilla. Immediately after the cheesecake layer has baked for 25 minutes, spread the sour cream layer over the center of the pie, leaving about 1/2'' of the cheesecake layer exposed around the edges.
- Put the pie back in the oven and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack and then chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve with fluffy homemade whipped cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
This post was first published in 2012 and then updated in 2022.