Caramel Apple Dip

Growing up on the farm, apple picking day meant that our own amusement park ride was open for business.  My sisters and I would clamber into the bucket of Dad’s old loader tractor and he would give us a slow and bumpy ride from the barn to the first of many apple trees.  Then he would hoist up the bucket, leveling it off every few feet of the ascension, until the loader’s long red arms were maxed out at the top of the tree.  While Dad and Mom took full advantage of their cheap child labor, we filled the tractor bucket with beautiful farm apples.  No seat belts.  No harnesses of any sort.  I can only imagine trying to get away with that in my back yard these days.

Picking apples on the farm, 1985:

For as long as I can remember, I have faithfully eaten this Caramel Apple Dip every single fall of every single year.  I don’t know how to live without it.  My body just kicks into automatic caramel making mode once that first apple is picked from the tree.  I just can’t help it.  (And I’m not looking for a way to stop!)

When making Caramel Apple Dip now in my own kitchen, I always involve the rest of the family .  Everyone here loves caramel.  And they love to eat the Kraft caramels that are used in the recipe.  So our deal is, whoever helps unwrap the caramels gets to eat one at the end.  It’s a win-win for everyone.  With the caramels unwrapped, this dip takes next to no time to make.  And it beats the pants off of that off-tasting caramel dip you find in the stores.  Some of it is downright nasty stuff and shouldn’t even be privileged enough for the word caramel to grace its label.  I beg you to try this recipe here just once, I know you will agree that this Caramel Apple Dip is worth making each and every fall.  You’ll never look at that store dip with the undeserving label again.

Caramel Apple Dip
(print recipe)

1 14-oz. bag Kraft caramels
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 stick butter

Unwrap caramels and combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Stir occasionally until completely melted.  Or, just place in microwave-safe bowl and heat in intervals, stirring often to avoid scorching.

Serve warm with apple slices for dipping.

Yield: 3 cups caramel

Source:  Mom’s recipe box

Today, I’m hooking up with TidyMom‘s “I’m Lovin’ It Fridays”, ‘cuz I’m really lovin’ this caramel apple dip right now!  Check out all the great stuff at TidyMom – her newly redesigned site is fresh and beautiful!

Tidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays

18 Responses to “Caramel Apple Dip”

Mom — September 17, 2010 at 9:43 am

As you know, I have eaten my share of this dip too. Loved seeing the pics!

Paula — September 17, 2010 at 11:53 am

What a yummy treat!

Morgan M — September 17, 2010 at 1:08 pm

After getting to taste this on Tuesday I can’t wait to make some more. Thank you for sharing this great treat and the recipe!!!

Lisa — September 17, 2010 at 2:37 pm

This is such a great autumn staple! YUMMY!!

Nancy Hustel — September 17, 2010 at 7:53 pm

This is making me hungry. Can’t wait to make some.

Cheryl Pickert — September 20, 2010 at 9:51 am

This makes me hungry!!!

• farmgirl replied on September 20th, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Cheryl – And whaddya think about the pics? :-)

Sue — September 20, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I’m going to try this soon:) It sounds delicious and it looks a lot easier than eating a whole caramel apple on a stick:)

• farmgirl replied on September 20th, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Hi Sue! I’m with you about the whole caramel apples. I always like the look of them, but I find them hard to eat. This dip is so much fun and the caramel is a great consistency.

Sarah — September 28, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I love that we have the exact same apple-picking memories. You captured it exactly! And I agree, I can’t imagine putting Griffin in that bucket any time soon! This caramel recipe sounds just like the caramel I use at Christmas time. Dip a large marshmallow in the caramel and then roll it in Rice Krispies. So yummy. I’ll definitely be trying this on apples though.

• farmgirl replied on September 29th, 2010 at 7:51 am

Oooooo, I love those dipped marshmallows!!

Linda — July 14, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Thank you for sharing this. I’m visiting my grandkids right now, and one of them wanted caramel apples (in the middle of summer – LOL!) I found your recipe, and we had it with sliced apples, and they even liked it with fresh strawberries. Great recipe–I couldn’t stop eating it!!

• farmgirl replied on July 15th, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’m so glad you found a simple way to satisfy your grandkids. It’s one of our favorite treats! Nice to hear from you, Linda – thanks!!

Julia Buller — November 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Brenda,
    How do you store this dip and how long will it last?

• Brenda replied on December 1st, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Hello Julia, sorry for my slow reply. I just store this in the refrigerator, covered. It will harden. Eat it cold (harder and very chewy) or warm it up. It stays good for quite awhile…a week for sure.

1. Pingback: Apple This, Apple That — My Wooden Spoon™

2. Pingback: Apple Recipes

3. Pingback: Apple Oatmeal Bars with Cinnamon Caramel Sauce {& an awesome caramel apple dip!}