Hot Buttered Rum Coffee
I’ve taken a classic hot toddy to a whole new level with this Hot Buttered Rum Coffee. It’s so good, you may never go back to the traditional recipe!
The traditional hot buttered rum beverage has been around for a long time. With a warmly spiced butter stirred into a hot water and rum mixture, this is a drink that many gravitate to when winter settles in, and especially during the holiday season. It’s pure comfort, sweet and warm.
Last year, I experimented with my friend Sandy’s hot buttered rum recipe and found my own go-to combination in the form of a coffee drink. I like to serve this Hot Buttered Rum Coffee with a platter of our favorite Christmas cookies. It’s a hit every time!
I upped my hot buttered rum game this year with European style butter from Land O’Lakes. It’s incredibly rich and creamy, just the stuff you want to use when swirling butter into your hot toddy.
This spiced butter mixture smells incredible. With brown sugar and generous amounts of cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and cloves, it’s pretty hard to resist running your finger along the beater for a little taste.
Last year, when I asked Blake to pick up a bottle of dark rum for this drink, he came home with a pretty black bottle of Black Strap Rum, a recommendation from a store clerk. And can I just say how much I adore this particular rum in this hot buttered rum coffee?! It offers the perfect flavor profile, with a bit of licorice and molasses.
Many times I simply stir a bit of cream into my hot buttered rum coffee. But when I serve this for a special gathering, I like to also offer some freshly whipped and lightly sweetened cream to dollop onto the top of each cup of coffee. Give the whipped cream a little sprinkle of cinnamon and watch your guests’ eyes light up, grateful for this gift of spiced warmth.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoons cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly ground is awesome here!)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch of kosher salt
- Cruzan® Black Strap Rum, or your own favorite black rum
- your favorite brewed coffee, very hot (I prefer a darker, full-bodied coffee for this recipe)
- cream or half and half
- freshly whipped and sweetened cream, for garnish
- cinnamon, for garnish
- In a stand mixer on medium speed, cream together butter, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, and salt for 3 minutes. Use immediately (while at its soft & fluffy best!) or store in a covered container in the refrigerator. If storing in the refrigerator, know that the spiced butter will harden - simply take it out of the fridge 30 minutes prior to serving.
- To create a cup of hot buttered rum coffee, place 2 tablespoons of spiced butter in a medium cup. Pour in 2 ounces of rum (use more or less, to your liking). Then pour in coffee to fill the cup. Stir to incorporate/melt the spiced butter. Add a splash of cream and/or top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.
Hot buttered rum recipe adapted from The Reluctant Entertainer, where Sandy serves the spiced butter in the more traditional way, with hot water instead of coffee.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 29mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.