My Favorite Banana Muffins {with Cream Cheese Kisses}

I think banana muffins are about the most perfect way to get my day started off on the right foot. Extra moist and sweetly scented with cinnamon, they know deep down how to get me going. I like to bake extra muffins to store in the freezer, just the lovliest pick-me-up on a morning when I’m needing some sweet and tender motivation.

These are My Favorite Banana Muffins. We usually eat them simple and unadorned, or with a variety of mix-ins from the pantry. But for a special Valentine’s Day breakfast this year, I’ve added Cream Cheese Kisses. Yes, I know the cream cheese frosting takes away from the healthier goal of the most important meal of the day, but this is Valentine’s Day we’re talking about. And I never pass up a reason to celebrate!

Print Print Recipe

My Favorite Banana Muffins {with Cream Cheese Kisses}

Yield: 12 regular size muffins

for the banana muffins:

• 1/3 c. butter
  • 1-1/2 c. mashed banana (about 3 large bananas)
  • 3/4 c. sugar

• 1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 c. powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 T. sugar

for the muffins:

Preheat oven to 375°. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.

Melt the butter and let it sit to cool while you measure the rest of the ingredients.

In a large bowl, mash bananas thoroughly. Add sugar and egg. Stir to combine.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add these dry ingredients and the melted butter to the banana mixture and mix lightly. Divide batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until nicely golden at the edges and just set in the center. Let muffins rest in pan for a minute, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

for the cream cheese kisses:

Using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat just to combine. Add sifted powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Place mixture in a piping bag fitted with a large plain round tip (I used Ateco #808). Pipe cream cheese "kisses" onto the top of each muffin. In a small bowl, stir together the cinnamon and sugar, then sprinkle onto the top of each kiss.

a farmgirl's dabbles

I’m linking up with the following:

• Robyn at Add a Pinch for Mingle Monday (comparing yourself to others)

33 Responses to “My Favorite Banana Muffins {with Cream Cheese Kisses}”

Blog is the New Black — February 1, 2012 at 7:40 am

Looks great- I just made banana bread this past weekend… a favorite!

• Brenda replied on February 1st, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Thanks, Liz! (but now I just really want tangerine pie!!)

Stephanie Meyer — February 1, 2012 at 7:43 am

Gorgeous! What a pretty way to start my day, love seeing this. xoxo

• Brenda replied on February 1st, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Thank you! :) xo

Kate — February 1, 2012 at 8:37 am

Banana anything is perfect. What beautiful muffins!

• Brenda replied on February 1st, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Thank you, my dear Kate. xoxo

sweetsugarbelle — February 1, 2012 at 9:21 am

HA!!! Love this…you birthday-fied BREAKFAST!!! beautiful!!!

• Brenda replied on February 1st, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Yeh, they’re a teensy bit on the naughty side for breakfast. But I believe that needs to happen once in awhile. ;)

Jenni — February 1, 2012 at 9:40 am

I love a good banana muffin in the morning, too, and what an extra special touch of adding cream cheese kisses to the top! It’s almost like having a cupcake for breakfast! :)

Sara — February 1, 2012 at 11:26 am

These look adorably delicious! I really want one right now! Thanks for the inspiration.

• Brenda replied on February 1st, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Hi Sara – great to hear from you!! :)

Harriet — February 1, 2012 at 11:35 am

Mmm looks great! I learnt how to make bananna muffins this summer and I love them now! They’re so perfect for breakfast on the go!

Lynda M. — February 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Those are the sweetest looking muffins I have ever seen!
    So cute & I bet they are tasty too. I’m always up for trying a new recipe :)

• Brenda replied on February 1st, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Thank you, Lynda! (very tasty, indeed!)

Paula — February 1, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I bake banana bread and banana muffins all the time and I have never thought to frost them! I love this idea and I also love that you add a bit of cinnamon to your banana muffin batter. I’m going to try that next time.

• Brenda replied on February 1st, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I got my add-cinnamon-to-most-anything ways from Mom. It’s a natural with banana bread & muffins. (Ooooo…Vintage Valentines?…I’m on my way!!)

Maria — February 2, 2012 at 8:46 am

I love the cream cheese kisses!

Sheila — February 2, 2012 at 8:57 am

These look heavenly!

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Thank you, Sheila! :)

Ashley — February 2, 2012 at 8:59 am

Gorgeous photo!!! The simple styling makes the muffin shine. :)

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Thank you, Ashley!

Melissa034 — February 2, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Its so delicious, When my first time i taste that. I really amazed with it.

Jessica — February 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm

These are amazing! I just made them. I am new to baking and the recipe was easy to follow and I had all of the ingredients in my pantry already. I added walnuts to the batter, they taste delicious. I have never made muffins from scratch before and I love how you can taste the butter and sugar – I don’t think I could ever make banana muffins from a box again! How could you turn this into a loaf? Would you have to change any of the proportions or just the cooking time? Thanks so much! :)

• Brenda replied on February 6th, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Hi Jessica! A comment like yours makes me smile like no other. I’m so happy you’ve found the joy of baking! I honestly have not tried this recipe in a loaf pan, and would need to experiment with it, but the cooking time would definitely need to be increased for a loaf.

Joanne — February 6, 2012 at 8:23 am

Last week, Grand ma prepare these banana muffins and i never expect that it so PERFECT!

Ynna — February 20, 2012 at 1:19 am

What a delicious banana muffins you have here. I will surely try your recipe someday. Thanks for the post.

Melinda — March 4, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I just made these and they are wonderful! I added 2 Tbs. of ground flaxseeds for some extra nutrition.

Crosby — April 2, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Banana Muffins with Cream Cheese Kisses yummy. I would prepare this for my kid, he’ll gong to like it.

Chloe Jade — July 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I tried this recipe last night, and it is DIVINE. I’m not the most experienced cook either, and I found it incredibly easy. Couldn’t get the icing quite thick enough, but it soon hardened up in the fridge.

• Brenda replied on July 22nd, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I’m so glad you liked these, Chloe. My very favorite banana muffins. Thanks so much for letting me know!

Gina Lepore — March 3, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I made these, minus the frosting. They are so moist and delicious. The cinnamon adds so much to the flavor. I now have a new banana muffin recipe!

1. Pingback: Strawberry Muffins — Two Girls Cooking