Strawberry Muffins with Lime Glaze
As the days of June were slipping away from me, anxiety was beginning to set in. Strawberry season got an early start here in Minnesota this year, and my schedule was not letting me partake at our local u-pick. We missed out on nabbing our fresh box of sweet berries a couple years ago due to hail damage ruining their crop, and that (selfishly) did not sit well at our house. Picking strawberries is our annual tradition!
And our tradition (thankfully) marched forward this year.
There is nothing – – absolutely nothing – – like a fresh picked strawberry.
And when you take home a whole box of juicy berries? Well, you need to quickly find ways to eat or preserve them before they go bad.
One of the ways we found was to make a batch of Strawberry Muffins with Lime Glaze. The muffins are fragrant and tender, and studded with bits of fresh strawberries. And once the muffins have cooled from the oven, a fresh lime glaze is drizzled over the tops, lending a sweet and zingy twist to the comfort that lies below.
A new recipe that makes for a lovely new strawberry eating tradition.
- for the muffins:
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1.5 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 c. chopped strawberries
- for the lime glaze:
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 3 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp. lime zest
- To avoid having pink muffin batter, it helps to freeze the chopped strawberries in a single layer on a small plate in the freezer. Do this right away, before you prepare the rest of the recipe. It only takes 20 to 30 minutes to firm up the berries when they are chopped small.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- Mix egg, milk, and oil in small bowl. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add frozen chopped strawberries and gently fold, just enough to coat the berries with the flour mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently fold again, taking care to not overmix. Spoon batter into muffin tin.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until muffin tops are puffed and golden. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Stir all ingredients until combined and smooth. Spoon over the cooled muffins and let glaze set.
from a farmgirl’s dabbles
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.