Strawberries – All Dressed Up In Red, White, and Blue

As the July 4th holiday was quickly approaching, I was all set to make Ina Garten’s yummy flag cake again this year.  But when I checked Twitter a couple days ago and saw these adorable strawberries dressed up in their patriotic finery, I abruptly changed my plan.  Thanks to Natalie and Lauren at PaperFlora, I have a new eye catching treat to take to the July 4th party this weekend.

And what I’m most excited about?  I’m not going to spend a few hours in the kitchen making that flag cake!  As beautiful and scrumptious as it is, I’m really just not in the mood this year.  After being gone on a family vaca the past 10 days, I have a garden that needs some major weeding, for Pete’s sake!

I promise you, these are incredibly easy to make.  My daughters and I whipped out a platter in less than half an hour.  Excuses will not be accepted for the absence of some edible red, white, and blue on your party table!

Here’s what you need for supplies:
strawberries
white candy melts or your favorite white chocolate  (I got my “super white” melts online at Cake Art.)
blue tinted sugar
(Candy melts and tinted sugars can be found at craft or cake decorating stores.)

And this is how the assembly line goes:
1. Melt your white chocolate or candy melts in the microwave, taking care to not scorch. Just take it slowly, stirring frequently.
2. Dip the bottom 2/3 of the strawberry into the melted candy melts/white chocolate, leaving a nice stripe of red strawberry showing at the top.
3. Dip just the tip of the berry into the blue sugar.
4. Lay them on sheets of wax or parchment paper to set. To speed up the hardening process, you could place your wax paper on a pan and slip the berries into the fridge for a quicker set.  Store refrigerated.

Note: Due to the moisture in the berries, I would not make these more than a few hours before serving.  I checked on them before going to bed the evening the berries were assembled, and they were just fine.  But by morning, the berry moisture was making the blue sugar a bit weepy.

And that’s it!

Really!

I’m still in awe of such a striking treat being so darn simple.

Happy Birthday, America!

22 Responses to “Strawberries – All Dressed Up In Red, White, and Blue”

Angela Johnson — June 30, 2010 at 7:46 am

SUPER CUTE! Love it! And EASY is for ME!

Nancy Hustel — June 30, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I’m trying these. Everything you post looks delicious.

farmgirl — June 30, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Yes, easy-peasy for you, dear Angela.

farmgirl — June 30, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Thank you, Nancy. Feels odd to call you Nancy, Mrs. Hustel! Have fun dipping those berries!!

melissa — July 30, 2010 at 7:35 am

Hi Nancy this is Melissa. I SEARCHED WHITE CANDY MELTS AND YOUR BLOG CAME UP!! I LOVE IT!!! YOU ARE SUCH A GREAT COOK!!! I had a question?? Where did you find those white candy melts, they are soooooo ultra WHITE and all I can find is and off white, cream colored candy melts. Im so desperate can you PLEASE help me.

thank you Nancy!! I’m also going to try your fab red, white an blue strawberries. You did a great job!! :)

• farmgirl replied on July 30th, 2010 at 8:44 am

Hi Melissa – I’m glad you found me, too! To find the melts you want, you need to search for “super white candy melts”. I have not found them in any store and got mine online at Cake Art, but I know other places sell them, too.
      I had some melts left over from a peppermint bark I do for Christmas, so it worked great for these 4th of July berries, too. I need to place another order!
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Brenda

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — June 27, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Too cute, the sprinkle addicts in my house will love these!

• farmgirl replied on June 28th, 2011 at 9:31 am

Our girls had so much fun making these, and they’re a nice quick project. Have fun with your sprinkle addicts! So nice to hear from you – have a great week!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — June 27, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Such a cute presentation! I love how easy they are too.

• farmgirl replied on June 28th, 2011 at 9:33 am

Hi Sylvie – great to hear from you! These are loads of fun (with a small amount of work!) to bring to a 4th of July party.

Tasha @ ToLexiWithLove — June 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Very cute! I love them! Different than what I’ve seen before.

Laura — June 29, 2011 at 10:15 am

I’ve never seen strawberries look so fancy. What a cute recipe for Fourth of July. I rounded up a couple of recipes for a Fourth of July Foodie Roundup and your recipe is on there. If you would like to see it: http://asnailslife.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/july-4th-foodie-round-up/
    Thanks again for the adorable fancy strawberry recipe.

invitation consultants — July 1, 2011 at 8:34 am

i LOVE this idea. i’m going to a BBQ 2 hours away and debating making these. i think they can survive the trip – and it’ll be easy to make while i’m getting ready in the AM. much easier than cake or brownies or cupcakes!

cassanda — June 21, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I made these for our Fathers Day Dinner, everyone enjoyed them <3

• Brenda replied on June 25th, 2012 at 11:09 pm

They are so eye catching and delicious – so glad you like them, too!

• Kathyw replied on July 4th, 2012 at 11:05 am

I’m trying to make them & and they are NOT looking like these! my melted white chocolate is running(so I have it in freezer for a couple to cool it off) I don’t find them to be as easy as I thought-& definately not such perfect looking lines.guess I’m not too co ordinated?

• Kathyw replied on July 4th, 2012 at 11:44 am

also when I tried to “dip” the end in the sugar it just smushed the choc-I used a spoon to pour it over the end. would not call this experience easy at all. But it is cute.

• Brenda replied on July 7th, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t have such a great experience with this. All I can say is that I’ve made quite a few batches of these with our kids and we don’t have any problems. Did you use white chocolate or candy melts? Because white chocolate will be more runny and not set as well. And when you dip into the blue sugar, just gently roll the strawberry tip in the sugar. Don’t smush the tip in.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Strawberries – All Dressed Up In Red, White, and Blue -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: The Fourth Of July, Woodbury Style | Woodbury Local News

3. Pingback: July 4th Foodie Round-Up « A Snail's Life

4. Pingback: Signature Guide to Celebrating 4th of July » Signature New Home Blog