Layered Pumpkin Pie in a Jar
This recipe for Layered Pumpkin Pie in a Jar is my favorite way to enjoy the warm spiced flavors of traditional pumpkin pie. The dessert is creamy, and oh-so-fun and pretty in jars. And I love that it can be made the day before serving!
Layered Pumpkin Pie in a Jar – Our Favorite Pumpkin Pie Recipe!
It didn’t take more than a couple dips of their spoons into these jars, for my husband and oldest daughter to declare that I could most definitely make this layered pumpkin dessert again.
And I do agree.
This recipe for Layered Pumpkin Pie in a Jar is a keeper!
You might recall that I’m not the biggest traditional pumpkin pie fan.
It’s not that I don’t like pumpkin pie.
I just think an exceptional one is hard to come by. Which is why I usually make pumpkin cheesecake…perfectly tall, creamy, and fall-spiced.
For many years, early on in my baking, I turned to a layered pumpkin pie recipe from Kraft that utilized vanilla pudding and cream cheese. Everyone always loves its untraditional pumpkin pie texture, especially kids (and my husband!).
So I decided to pipe those creamy layers into jars this year – these are the jars I use, and here is the piping tip. This no-bake pumpkin pie in a jar recipe makes for super fun individual portions. They’re both beautiful to look at and easy to transport to your Thanksgiving feast at Grandma’s house.
Like this layered pumpkin pie? Pin it!
A few more pumpkin desserts that you might like:Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars from She Wears Many Hats, Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Honey Mascarpone Frosting from Beyond Frosting, and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies from Barbara Bakes.
for the graham cracker crust layer:
- 1.5 c. graham cracker crumbs
- 3 T. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 T. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
for the whippy cream cheese layer and finishing dollop of sweetened whipped cream:
- 2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1.5 c. sifted powdered sugar
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
for the pumpkin layer:
- 1 c. milk
- 1 can (15-oz.) pumpkin puree (not pre-spiced pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 pkg. (4-serving size) Jell-O vanilla flavor instant pudding & pie filling
- 1.5 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- semi-sweet chocolate shavings to sprinkle over the top
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place a mixing bowl and beater(s) into the freezer to chill, for beating the cream
- for the graham cracker crust layer: Stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Then add the melted butter and stir until evenly moistened. Spread mixture in a 9'' x 13'' pan and bake for 5 minutes. Stir and bake for another minute or two, or until crumbs are fragrant and nicely browned. Be careful not to burn. Remove from oven and let cool completely while you prepare the other pie layers.
- for the whippy cream cheese layer and finishing dollop of sweetened whipped cream: My favorite part! Using your chilled bowl and beaters, whip the cream until stiff. Add the powdered sugar and beat just to combine. Remove sweetened whipped cream to another bowl and set it in the refrigerator. Add the cream cheese to the same chilled bowl and cream until very smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Blend in the vanilla. Now add half of the sweetened whipped cream back into the chilled bowl with the cream cheese, gently folding to thoroughly combine. This tastes awesome! Place this bowl of whippy cream cheese and the remaining half of the sweetened whipped cream back into the refrigerator to stay chilled.
- for the pumpkin layer: Pour the milk into a large bowl. Add the pumpkin, pudding mixes, and spices. Beat with a wire whisk for 2 minutes, or until very well blended. The mixture should be quite thick.
- to add the layers into the jars: Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large plain round tip (I use an Ateco No. 808 tip) with the whippy cream cheese mixture. Pipe a layer of this mixture onto the bottom of an 8-ounce wide-mouth jar, starting at the perimeter of the jar and working to the center. Lightly tap the jar on a towel (so jar doesn’t break) on the counter, to settle the mixture in. Repeat this step with the rest of the jars.
- Sprinkle the whippy cream cheese layer with 2 tablespoons of baked graham cracker crumbs. Lightly tap the jar again to even out the crumbs. Repeat with the rest of the jars.
- Using the same large plain round tip, fill another pastry bag with the pumpkin pudding mixture. Pipe this mixture onto the graham cracker crust layer, in the same manner as the first whippy cream cheese layer. Lightly tap again and repeat with the rest of the jars.
- Now you can simply add a dollop of the reserved sweetened whipped cream (without the added cream cheese) to the top of each pie with a spoon, or you can pipe a more refined swirl, like I did, using the same large plain round tip. Then finish with a sprinkling of graham cracker crust and chocolate shavings, if desired. If you plan to transport these jars with their lids screwed on, keep in mind the height of your top dollop, if you don’t want it to get smooshed when you add the lid.
These jars of pie can easily be made the day prior to serving. In fact, I think they taste best after being completely chilled overnight.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 287mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
(This post was previously published in 2011. Some of the photographs and some of the text were updated in 2018.)