Coconut Cupcakes with Fluffy Coconut Buttercream
Coconut Cupcakes with Fluffy Coconut Buttercream are every bit as wonderful as you can imagine. The coconut cake is moist and flavorful, and just wait until you sink your teeth into that incredible coconut buttercream frosting. The perfect spring and Easter treat!
I think a big ol’ bowl of freshly whipped buttercream frosting is one of the most awesome (and easiest!) creations to come out of the kitchen. Can I get an Amen?!
If the thought of moist coconut cupcakes topped with the creamiest, fluffiest buttercream frosting gets you all excited, you are going to love this recipe.
Coconut Cupcakes with Fluffy Coconut Buttercream. Put this recipe on your baking list. Soon!
Coconut has been on my mind lately. Which really is no surprise. When spring rolls around and Easter is near, I always seem to tune into the wonderful flavor of coconut.
The coconut cupcakes in this recipe are dense and moist, yet perfectly tender. I ground the coconut flakes to a fine consistency and add it to the cake batter. And then I give it two more hits of coconut with coconut extract and coconut milk.
These cupcakes really do taste like coconut!!
If you like coconut, be sure to also check out: These German chocolate macaroons that I first made for my dad’s birthday. Coconut Gumdrop Cookies are so very fun – a recipe I grew up on. And this Homemade Almond Coconut Granola will change your breakfast life!
Coconut Buttercream Frosting
Creating sweet and fluffy buttercream frosting makes me so seriously happy.
I simply add butter and powdered sugar, plus a few other ingredients, to the mixing bowl – and then turn on the KitchenAid and let it do all the work. When I come back, I have a little bit o’ heaven waiting for me.
I love the look of those fancy cupcake shops’ frosting, so perfectly mounded on top of their cupcakes.
For those who aren’t keen on using pastry bags and tips, this scooping method offers the perfect solution. I use a large 3-tablespoon scoop, affording a good amount of buttercream in each and every cupcake bite.
You’re welcome. :)
I adore these little cakes. They are everything a coconut cupcake should be…pretty, fun, and full of coconut flavor. And, have I mentioned the awesome coconut buttercream?!
Like this cupcake recipe? Save it to Pinterest!
for the coconut cupcakes:
- 1/3 c. packed sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. coconut extract
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut milk, very well stirred
for the fluffy coconut buttercream:
- 1 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3-1/2 c. powdered sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 T. half and half
- 2 tsp. coconut extract
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. large flake coconut
- For the coconut cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a standard muffin tin with twelve paper liners. Set aside.
- Add shredded coconut to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Transfer ground coconut to a medium bowl. To the bowl, flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg, egg white, coconut extract, and vanilla extract, and beat until completely combined, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl. Reduce mixer speed to low and then add the coconut/flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of coconut milk, and beating until each addition is just combined. Divide batter evenly between the lined cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out just barely clean, about 18 minutes. Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then remove cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the fluffy coconut buttercream: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip butter on medium-high speed until very fluffy, about 8 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add powdered sugar and salt, and beat on low to incorporate. Add half and half, coconut extract, and vanilla extract, mixing on low until combined. Increase mixer speed to medium-high and beat until very light and fluffy, about 5 to 6 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- To assemble the cupcakes: Use a large cookie scoop (I use this one) to top each cupcake with a round of coconut buttercream. Gently tap the bottom of the cupcake on the counter once or twice to settle the buttercream onto the cupcake. The coconut buttercream recipe makes just enough frosting for twelve cupcakes frosted in this generous manner, so try not to snitch too much out of the bowl! Top the buttercream with some large flake coconut, if desired, to finish off the cupcakes.
Coconut cupcakes recipe adapted from Martha Stewart. Fluffy coconut buttercream from a farmgirl's dabbles.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 536Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
This post was previously published in 2015. I updated some of the photographs and some of the text in 2019.
We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. See our disclosure policy for more info.