An easy Carrot Cake recipe that is wonderfully moist and perfectly spiced. Topped with a tangy cream cheese frosting, you’ll fall in love with this simple take on a classic dessert.
I didn’t grow up on carrot cake.
Oh, it made its appearance every now and then at different gatherings. And the only thing that grabbed my interest, if I’m being truly honest here, was when it was topped with an extra thick layer of cream cheese frosting.
The idea of carrots in my cake was just plain off-putting to me when I was young. Quite the way our own daughters currently feel about this dessert, I’m 100% certain.
But my affection for carrot cake has grown tremendously over time. And a couple years ago I started experimenting with recipes. My goal was to have a warmly spiced cake that was rather low-key, with a smaller size and just one layer. Yet it still needed to have an elegant appearance for holidays such as Easter.
This crosses off all of my most important measures for the best Carrot Cake recipe. Including an irresistible swirly layer of homemade cream cheese frosting!
Carrot cake ingredients
Of course, this cake includes carrots. Had I known as a kid that carrots add terrific moistness and don’t actually make the cake taste like vegetables, I surely would have embraced this dessert at a much earlier age.
I like to use the large holes on a box grater to create the carrot shreds. This recipe calls for 1-1/2 cups (do not pack the shreds tightly into the measuring cups) of grated carrots.
There a few things that I particularly like about this recipe:
- It uses considerably less oil than most recipes I found. This gives the cake better flavor and texture, without compromising moistness (thanks to the carrots!).
- I think the best carrot cakes include an extra dose of warm spices. Because, after all, carrot cake really is a spice cake. I’ve found that so many recipes skimp on the spice. But not this one!
- This recipe incorporates both white granulated sugar AND brown sugar. I love how brown sugar plays with warm spices. Plus, it adds extra moistness to the cake’s crumb.
Topping off this moist carrot cake is a super simple homemade cream cheese frosting. All it takes is four ingredients – cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
Our girls request pieces of this cake for the frosting alone. #truth
We tend to celebrate Easter with a smaller gathering, so this single-layer, easy carrot cake recipe fits our family just perfectly.
I like to place the cake on a pretty platter, swirl on the cream cheese frosting, and then sprinkle it with a bit more cinnamon. So pretty!
Might I suggest a few more recipes to celebrate spring and Easter:
- Citrus-Poppy Seed Cookies are wonderfully moist and tender, bursting with citrus flavor.
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Ripple is beautiful for a special brunch.
- Lime Baby Cakes are bright and spring-y!
- Lemon Heaven Bars are dense and soft and chewy, loaded with fresh lemon flavor.
Pin this carrot cake for later:
adapted from allrecipes.com As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
for the carrot cake:
for the cream cheese frosting:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 60mg Sodium: 288mg Carbohydrates: 56g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 46g Protein: 4g
adapted from allrecipes.com
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. See our disclosure policy for more info.