Cream Wafer Sandwich Cookies with Strawberry Buttercream

Cream Wafer Sandwich Cookies with Strawberry Buttercream - afarmgirlsdabbles.comI adapted these Cream Wafer Sandwich Cookies with Strawberry Buttercream from a recipe that is a long-time Christmas tradition in our family. Between my mom and my aunt June, who both kept the sweets platters piled with little cream wafer sandwich cookies during the holidays, there was never a threat of running out of sweet buttery deliciousness.

Cream Wafer Sandwich Cookies with Strawberry Buttercream - afarmgirlsdabbles.comAt Christmastime, the sandwich cookies are always in circular form, with a variety of colored icings. But with Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I knew I had to try out hearts. With pink frosting. They turned out so sweet!

I’m ok with admitting that I ate a bit too much of this strawberry buttercream. Fresh and fluffy, still on the beater, its pretty pink strawberry looks and flavor proved absolutely irresistible.

With cold glasses of milk, our daughters happily devoured a couple of these strawberry buttercream filled cookies, while telling me about their day at school. Then Blake, their non-fruity sweets lovin’ dad, came home and popped a couple into his mouth, too. He thought these cookies were extra good and said, “They just melt in your mouth”. Well, honey, that would be due to all the butter that’s packed into this recipe!

I’ve always loved Valentine’s Day, for both the sentiment of love and for the treats. These little heart shaped cookies would make the sweetest gift, with two or three placed in a small bag, tied shut with a pale pink slippery satin ribbon. I know I’d love to receive them!

Print Print Save Save

Cream Wafer Sandwich Cookies with Strawberry Buttercream

Yield: 36 small sandwich cookies

for the cream wafer cookies:

• 2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 c. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/3 c. heavy whipping cream
  • sugar

for the strawberry buttercream:

• 3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 2-1/4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 T. strawberry extract
  • a few drops of pink or red food coloring (I used Americolor "Electric Pink")

for the cream wafer cookies:

In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix flour, butter, and whipping cream until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375°. Place about a 1/3 cup of sugar into a 9" square pan and set aside.

Take about one-third of the cookie dough out of the refrigerator, keeping remaining dough refrigerated. Roll dough to 3/16" thickness on a floured surface. Use a small heart-shaped cookie cutter (mine is 2" wide x 1-1/2" high) to cut out heart shapes. You could also just use a small round cookie cutter, about 1-1/2" to 2" in diameter. You will want to work swiftly, as the dough softens quickly as it warms. With a thin metal spatula, transfer hearts to your prepared 9" pan with sugar. Turn hearts over so that sugar adheres to each side. Place hearts on ungreased cookie sheet, about 1" apart. Prick each heart several times with tines of a fork about 4 or 5 times. Sprinkle on a little additional sugar, if desired. Repeat with the rest of the dough, rerolling scraps as needed. After rerolling the dough more than once, the dough will start to lose its shape faster when rolled out and baked, so try to get as many cut-outs as possible out of each initial rolling. Bake 7 to 9 minutes, or just until set, but not browned. Let cool on wire rack or countertop.

for the strawberry buttercream:

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter until very smooth. Add powdered sugar and strawberry extract, and beat until smooth and fluffy, another minute or two. Tint with food coloring, if desired.

to assemble cream wafer sandwich cookies with strawberry buttercream:

Add strawberry buttercream to piping bag fitted with a medium plain tip. Pipe a single layer of buttercream onto the back side of one heart cookie (see photo in post). Top with another heart cookie and very gently press together. You could also use a small spoon to place the buttercream on the cookie, instead of using a piping bag, which will yield a much more casual looking sandwich cookie.

Cookies store very well frozen in an airtight container, with layers of cookies separated by wax paper.

Recipe adapted from Mom's recipe box, originally from Betty Crocker.

Looking for more homemade Valentine’s Day treats?!

29 Responses to “Cream Wafer Sandwich Cookies with Strawberry Buttercream”

steph@stephsbitebybite — February 7, 2014 at 8:15 am

So stinkin’ cute!!

Tieghan Gerard — February 7, 2014 at 8:24 am

So cute and so for Valentines Day, Brenda! I would love them!

Wendy — February 7, 2014 at 8:45 am

If these aren’t the cutest cookies I’ve ever seen! I would Love these for Valentines Day, but seeing as I’m the only one that bakes here I guess I’ll have to make them myself!

Maria — February 7, 2014 at 9:24 am

Too cute!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — February 7, 2014 at 11:25 am

These are so pretty and perfect for Valentine’s Day!

Mercedes — February 7, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I drooled over these when you shared them at Christmastime and now I wish I had my own bag of them to snack on right now! My grandma made a similar cookie, so I am anxious to try these and see if it brings back those memories…

• Brenda replied on February 12th, 2014 at 8:17 pm

They are one of my favorite cookies ever. And I know it’s not just the nostalgia talking. They are yummy! :)

Jennifer | Bake or Break — February 7, 2014 at 2:14 pm

These are so cute! So tiny! <3

Gaby — February 7, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Love these for Valentine’s Day! So adorable.

Charlotte Moore — February 7, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Just wanted to let you know I have been getting your blog twice. The strange thing is it comes in a little different. It is the same recipes, but just different.

I thought you might like to know in case others are getting it twice.

• Brenda replied on February 12th, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Maybe you are signed up for both the Weekly Newsletter (usually sent out on Fridays each week), which includes snippets of the posts that I published for the week, AND the emails for each individual post? Or is what you are getting exact duplicates of eachother?

Kira - HealthAble Old Soul — February 7, 2014 at 9:18 pm

This is a cute little V-Day treat!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — February 8, 2014 at 8:21 am

These little cookies sound so delicious! So perfect for Valentine’s Day and I know I would love that strawberry buttercream!

Kelly — February 8, 2014 at 8:33 am

You have taken these awesome cookies to a new level here. So, so cute! I’m going to be one of those nosey commenters and tell you that when I make cream wafer cookies, I’ve found that if I roll the dough out in a sugar/flour mixture, that I can skip the sugaring step. The only drawback is that when you gather up the scraps and re-roll, you end up with a sweeter wafer cookie for the second round. Not a bad drawback, in my opinion. :)

• Brenda replied on February 12th, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Hmmmm…I’ll have to experiment with your method. Thanks for sharing!

Dina — February 8, 2014 at 8:55 am

these look so yummy and pretty!

Crystal S. | Apples & Sparkle — February 8, 2014 at 12:25 pm

These are so adorable. I love Valentine’s day too, I think mainly because I live in a house full of boys (hubby, 2 sons) and it’s one of the only times I have an excuse to elevate all things pink and heart shaped. : )

Paula – bell’alimento — February 8, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I would happily devoured these too! These are such little cuties!

CakePants — February 9, 2014 at 12:33 am

Oh these are absolutely adorable!! If I have time, I definitely want to make these and bring them into the office – my office is having a Girl Scout cookie-tasting party this week, but these homemade cookies would blow all of those out of the water, I bet!

Becca-cookie jar treats — February 9, 2014 at 10:58 am

Oh these are just way too cute! :3 I would happily have more than my share if I saw these laying around.

Mom — February 9, 2014 at 7:41 pm

These little heart cookies are so cute! And I agree with Blake about them melting in your mouth. :)

Donna — February 10, 2014 at 8:21 am

Ummm! Pretty and tasty looking! Happy Valentines Day! :-)

Rebecca — February 11, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Funny! My mom used to make these too and I dug out my heart cookie cutters last night. I’m planing on making them for gifts to give friends this week. I’m just going to use the filling that the recipe calls for and color it red though.

Great minds think alike!

Cassie — February 12, 2014 at 7:47 am

These are wonderful, Brenda. So cute!

• Brenda replied on February 15th, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Thank you so much, Cassie! :)

Rachel — February 16, 2014 at 4:07 am

These look divine – I can’t wait to try them!

Shaina — February 20, 2014 at 2:51 pm

These are just so sweet and cute. I want a bowl on the table for every party.

1. Pingback: Fun with Food | Raising Chaos