Grilled Creamed Corn

I’ve developed a newfound love for creamed corn.  Ever since my cousin’s wife, Billie, fixed up a huge pot of creamy delicious corn at last summer’s Renelt family reunion, I get cravings for it now and then.  And my whole family is all the merrier when I indulge them with my cravings.

I’ll share Billie’s super easy recipe using frozen corn somewhere down the road, but since it’s grilling season and the summer sweet corn is starting to roll in, this delicious Grilled Creamed Corn is what’s on the current docket.  The corn cobs are first cooked directly on the grill grates, to get that beautiful char and a bit of rich smoky flavor.  After cutting the corn from the cobs, it is then mixed to sweet creamy perfection in a hot cast-iron skillet on the grill.  The skillet goes directly from grill to table, making for a fun presentation.  This is a great side for any grilled meat, especially if barbeque sauce is involved.

The last time we made this, I cheated a bit and grilled the cobs the day before our backyard gathering.  I then cut off the kernels, put them in a bowl, and placed them in the fridge until the following day.  I didn’t want to take time away from our guests to cut off the kernels, but still wanted to serve this wonderful dish.  Plan B worked like a charm, and tasted just as great as when we went through the steps according to Plan A.

And here’s Plan C.  When we make this again, we’re going to double the quantity.  I’ve found new and exciting ways to use this grilled creamed corn.  Mixed with salsa, it’s a creamy, heavenly dip.  Layered in quesadillas, it’s a sweet, smoky  filling.  And stirred into some roasted or mashed potatoes, it’s a spud reinvention.

Do you have a simple and tasty way to reinvent creamed corn?
Please let me know, so we can try it, too!

Grilled Creamed Corn
(print recipe)

8 ears corn, husked
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
1-1/4 c. milk
3 T. cream cheese
1 T. sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
a couple pinches cayenne pepper, optional

Preheat a grill to medium-high.  Arrange the corn on the grate and grill, turning occasionally, until the kernels are golden brown and softened, 8 to 10  minutes.  Remove corn from grill.  Once cool enought to handle, remove the corn kernels from the cobs; discard the cobs.  You should have about 5 cups of kernels.

Lower the grill temperature to medium.  It is very important to get the heat lowered, so the butter won’t burn.  Heat a large cast-iron skillet over the grate.  Add the butter to melt, then whisk in the flour until combined and foaming, about 1 minute.  Gradually whisk in the milk and cream cheese and cook, whisking constantly, until smooth and thick, 2 to 3 minutes.  Stir in sugar.  Stir in the corn kernels; season with salt, black pepper and the cayenne, if using, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.

Servings: 6

Source:  slightly adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine, June/July 2010

17 Responses to “Grilled Creamed Corn”

Andrea — July 25, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Looks amazing…as does the rest of your site.

I’ll be coming back often!

Andrea — July 27, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Loved this recipe! I actually did mine on the stove — it was too hot for grilling outside — and it turned out wonderfully.

I featured this recipe on Simple Organized Living!

• farmgirl replied on July 27th, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I will have to keep that in mind, to just use my grill pan on the stove!

A Little Yumminess — July 27, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Grilled creamed corn is kind of genius!

• farmgirl replied on July 27th, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I thought so, too – it’s perfect!

Amanda Sullivan — July 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm

This looks delicious! A must try for sure. I grew up on creamed corn..at nearly every meal time once summer hit and the corn got ripe. My Meema had a special technique that made it EXTRA creamy. She cut the kernels off in stages. First swipe just took the tips of the kernel, second swipe took the majority of the kernel and on the last swipe, she took the back side of the knife and scraped the cob to get all the juicy bits left. Of corse it was then poured into a super hot cast iron skillet (with bacon grease of course :)) and fried up. Oh so delicious with some hearty slices of garden ripe tomatoes!

• Brenda replied on July 7th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Thank you for sharing that technique – I bet it would be creamier that way!

SEO Newcastle — September 22, 2012 at 3:24 am

I honestly feel like “Homer Simpson” when I look through your recipe’s and pictures of food!
    It just looks so delicious!
    Mouth watering good corn!

Regards,
    Karl

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Grilled Creamed Corn -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Grilled Creamed Corn « Simple Organized Living

3. Pingback: Sweet Corn Salad – Fresh from the Farmers’ Market

4. Pingback: Holiday Treats + Free Printable Gift Tags « Simple Organized Living

5. Pingback: 30 Delicious Backyard BBQ Side Dishes | Simple Organized Living

6. Pingback: Mushroom & Cheddar Sliders with Chipotle Ketchup

7. Pingback: BBQ creamed corn « Tom foodlery

8. Pingback: 30 Recipes for the Grill: Sides, Entrees and Desserts - Amanda's Cookin'

9. Pingback: Honey Shortbread Bites with Smoky Cream Cheese, Sweet Corn & Tomatoes