Chocolate Mint Brownies
Mom’s Chocolate Mint Brownies recipe features layers of fudgy brownie, mint frosting, and chocolate glaze. The perfect decadent after-meal sweet treat!
Chocolate Mint Brownies
Today is my beautiful mom’s birthday.
I have very vivid, and numerous, memories of finding Mom digging in the big chest freezer on the farm.
She might have been looking for something to make for supper. But more often than not, she was searching for her stash of Chocolate Mint Brownies.
Yes, this mint brownie recipe is all Mom.
Save this recipe to Pinterest!
Mint Brownie Recipe
This recipe holds a significant amount of nostalgia for me. It was one of the baked treats that Mom made most often.
And Mom was smart to figure out that these brownies are EXCELLENT when eaten straight from the freezer. I highly recommend you try this for yourself. Even though the brownies are irresistibly soft and chewy at room temp, straight-outta-the-freezer is pretty darn fun. You might not eat them any other way!
The brownies are so pretty in their layers, with two different chocolate layers sandwiching a fluffy mint buttercream from both sides. That mint frosting…I can eat it straight from the bowl!
Rich and fudgy and decadent, this mint brownie recipe is the perfect after-meal sweet treat.
Another recipe you might like is my chocolate cake topped with the fluffiest mint chocolate chip buttercream! And these brownie cookies with mint chocolate chip buttercream are SUPER FUN!
Mom baked up these brownies with mint frosting all year ’round, but they’re especially fun to make during the holidays and for a St. Patrick’s Day treat.
I’d love to hear back from you if you make this special family recipe. Also be sure to let me know if you’ve found yourself hiding a stash of chocolate mint brownies in your freezer. Ha!
Like this brownies recipe? Pin it!
for the brownie base:
- 4 oz. good quality unsweetened chocolate
- 2/3 c. unsalted butter
- 2 c. brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
for the peppermint layer:
- 2-1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2-1/2 T. heavy cream
- 10 T. butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- a few drops of green food coloring, if desired
for the chocolate glaze:
- 5 oz. good quality semi-sweet chocolate
- 5 T. unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray a 9″ x 13″ pan with non-stick spray.
- For the brownie base: In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt the chocolate and butter together. Remove from heat and add brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Blend well. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 22 minutes, or until toothpick just barely comes clean. For a dense, fudgy brownie, take care to not over bake. Let cool completely.
- For the peppermint layer: Prepare the peppermint layer by creaming together the powdered sugar, cream, butter, and peppermint extract. Once incorporated, beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until fluffy. Tint with green food coloring, if desired. Frost brownie base with this mixture and place in freezer for 20 minutes.
- For the chocolate ganache: In a small sauce pan over low heat, melt together chocolate and butter. Remove brownie from freezer and spread warm chocolate ganache gently over the cold buttercream. Cool until glaze hardens (refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes to speed this up), then cut into squares.
from Mom's recipe box
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 27gProtein: 4g
This post was previously published in 2011. Some of the photographs and text was updated in 2018.
We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. See our disclosure policy for more info.