Ooey Gooey Pizza Dip
The wonderful thing about pizza?
Well, it’s hard for me to choose just one thing, really. But to answer that question in a very general sort of way, I love it for its versatility.
As much as I preach about traditions, I’m also not one to be tied down to the same ol’ thing time after time. Some days I’m in the mood for this…some days I’m in the mood for that. And pizza’s offerings are never ending.
This Ooey Gooey Pizza Dip is just that. A spectacular tasty spread of whatever you have a hankering for. I’ve been playing around with this dip for years, but this is the recipe in its most common form around here. Feel free to substitute your own favorite pizza toppings and make it a Special Order!
Ooey Gooey Pizza Dip
Yield: about 6 cups of dip
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 c. shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 c. mayonnaise (I don't recommend substituting for reduced-fat or fat-free mayo...it's just not the right consistency.)
- 1 c. roughly chopped turkey pepperoni (I think regular pepperoni makes this too greasy!)
- 1/2 c. small diced onion
- 1/2 c. small diced green pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small can (6.5 oz.) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3/4 c. roughly chopped black olives
- 1/4 c. roughly chopped green olives
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus a bit more cracked across the finished dip
Note: This recipe is highly versatile, so feel free to mix it up with your favorite pizza ingredients. I would suggest leaving the first 4 ingredients as the base to the dip. Then just have fun with the rest!
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, mixing well to incorporate. Spread into a baking dish - either a large rectangle up to a 9" x 13" size, or a large pie plate. Crack a bit more black pepper over the surface and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and the top is golden brown. Sometimes I also place it under the broiler for a minute or two to get the top extra golden pretty. Serve with sturdy crackers or sliced & toasted baguettes.
a farmgirl's dabbles