Snickerdoodle Cupcakes

And the Birthday Marathon continues!

Our daughter, Hatti, turns 9 this weekend. And I really am beside myself, wondering, “How did those years pass by so quickly?” Of course, for her, that time has travelled a bit more slowly, as she has had her sights set on “double digits” for a few years now.  ;-)

Hatti has never been the typical cake with frosting kind of girl when it comes to celebrating her birthday. After taking one, maybe two, bites out of her first few years’ worth of decorated cakes and cupcakes, I changed my approach. I wanted her to have her cake…and eat it, too!

So for the next few years, I made chocolate chip cookie cakes, decorated brownie cakes, and layered brownie towers. And she happily ate her cake!

This year, however, I daringly ventured back into cupcake world with a recipe I was quite certain Hatti would approve of. After seeing Martha Stewart’s cute as can be Snickerdoodle Cupcakes, and knowing Hatti’s love for that famous cookie, I confidently gave these cupcakes a shot.

The original recipe’s Seven-Minute Frosting, however, received only so-so reviews online. So I exchanged it for a slightly sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting. I just can’t go wrong with cream cheese frosting in this house. I do think it was a brilliant change-up.

And to my delight, so did Hatti! These pretty little cakes were completely embraced by her. Hatti ate cake!!

The cupcakes were moist and beautifully fragrant all on their own. Then, topped with a puffy swirl of cream cheese frosting and a dusting of cinnamon-sugar, they were made snickerdoodle-perfect.

Happy Birthday, sweet Hatti!

Birthday Kisses - Hatti and her grandpas, 2008

Hatti and my dad (on the right) share the same March birthday, and Blake’s dad (on the left) celebrates just two days before them. We have been blessed to share many birthday celebrations together. And this is one of my favorite photos in the whole wide world.

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes

4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla
1-1/4 c. milk

for the cinnamon-sugar dusting:
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 T. sugar

Preheat oven to 350°. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.

Sift together both flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.

With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each.

Divide the batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.

Mix together the 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl for dusting the frosting. Set aside.

Yield: about 28 regular size cupcakes

Source: adapted slightly from “Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes”. Here is the original cupcake recipe with the Seven-Minute Frosting.

for the cream cheese frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 c. powdered sugar, sifted

Using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and cinnamon and beat just to combine.

Slowly add sifted powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition.

Using a pastry bag fitted with a large plain round tip (I used Ateco No. 808), pipe frosting on each cupcake. Immediately finish by dusting the frosting with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Source: a farmgirl’s dabbles

To see the prior Birthday Marathon sweets, please visit these posts:
Toffee Brownie Cake,
to celebrate Blake’s dad’s birthday

Mom’s German Chocolate Cake,
to celebrate my dad’s birthday

I’m linking up with:

Cheryl at TidyMom for “I’m Lovin’ It”
Allison at Alli n Son for “Sweet Tooth Friday”
Kim at Quit Eating Out for “Saturday Swap”

51 Responses to “Snickerdoodle Cupcakes”

Mom — March 17, 2011 at 9:54 pm

OH! These look so yummy. Hope we get to taste them soon. Happy birthday to our dear Hatti!

• farmgirl replied on March 19th, 2011 at 7:10 am

Thanks, Mom. xoxo

Holly — March 18, 2011 at 12:50 am

These look awesome! Love the photos you are taking! Happy Birthday to Hatti and your other precious family members. Don’t you just love birthday marathons? Ours is in November…makes the holiday season a little crazy…but so fun to celebrate!

Blessings to you!
    Holly

• farmgirl replied on March 19th, 2011 at 7:11 am

Lovely to hear from you again, Holly! xoxo

Kim McCallie — March 18, 2011 at 9:01 am

These look great! I love snickerdoodles!

• farmgirl replied on March 19th, 2011 at 7:11 am

Thank you, Kim!

Amanda — March 18, 2011 at 9:50 am

What a sweet girl… happy birthday!!! These cupcakes looks amazing!

• farmgirl replied on March 19th, 2011 at 7:12 am

Thank you, Amanda. :)

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — March 18, 2011 at 9:55 am

Happy Birthday, Miss Hatti! I love Snickerdoodles and Snickerdoodle cupcakes too. I used this recipe of Martha’s and adapted it too, to make my Schoolbread cupcakes. Schoolbread is a Norwegian sweet bun, almost like a donut, with custard in the middle and cardamom in the dough. I made these cupcakes and filled them with vanilla pudding, and then put frosting on top, and toasted coconut (which is also on the traditional Schoolbread) on top of that. They were SO good!

• farmgirl replied on March 19th, 2011 at 7:13 am

Thanks, Amber. I’ve never heard of Schoolbread cupcakes, so will have to check yours out – thanks!

Lyuba — March 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

Oh Yes, Yes…me likey!!!!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son — March 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Yum! I love cream cheese frosting!

Thanks for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday.

• farmgirl replied on March 19th, 2011 at 7:13 am

Great to hear from you, Allison!

Tracy — March 18, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Happy birthday to Hatti! These cupcakes look super sweet! I’m glad she enjoyed them, although, I would have been happy to take any leftovers off her hands. ;-)

• farmgirl replied on March 19th, 2011 at 7:14 am

Hi Tracy – I’ll pass along the birthday greetings. Thank you!

bridget {bake at 350} — March 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Happy birthday to your little one! :) (Or not so little.)

I’m with you….cream cheese frosting can do no wrong in this house! Those cupcakes sound perfect!

• farmgirl replied on March 19th, 2011 at 7:16 am

Lovely to hear from you, Bridget! I’ll be sure to have Hatti read all these birthday greetings. :)

Harriet — March 18, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Mmm looks great! How do you get the marshmallow topping to go so pretty and curly?

Happy birthday to your relatives too :)

• farmgirl replied on March 19th, 2011 at 7:17 am

Thank you! Just a little practice, Harriet, on the frosting!

Lisa — March 18, 2011 at 6:51 pm

these are adorable and look fantastic! where did you get the little stand?

• farmgirl replied on March 19th, 2011 at 7:21 am

Thank you so much, Lisa – it was fun to see you this week! I got the stand at an awesome shop in Watertown, SD, where my parents live. But I know I’ve seen some online as well – after just a quick search: http://www.farmhousewares.com/cupcakestands.aspx

Shaina — March 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Happy birthday, sweet Hatti!

• farmgirl replied on March 19th, 2011 at 7:21 am

Thanks, Shaina! :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 18, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Oh, how adorable she is, and how adorable those cupcakes are too! I hope you have a wonderful birthday weekend celebrating with your family.

• farmgirl replied on March 19th, 2011 at 7:22 am

Thank you so much, Sylvie. Today’s gonna be a BIG party! :)

Hannah — March 19, 2011 at 12:14 pm

These look amazing! I can’t wait to try them – with the cream cheese frosting of course. :)

Kirstin — March 19, 2011 at 9:38 pm

yum! Those sound amazing and definitely worth trying.

Paula — March 19, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Happy Birthday to your adorable daughter! Your cupcakes are beautifully photographed and one day I just make make a snickerdoodle cupcake or cookie for that matter. Never had one yet.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking — March 20, 2011 at 3:40 pm

These look wonderful! I agree cream cheese frosting is awesome!!Really like your blog.

boogie — March 24, 2011 at 12:00 am

isn’t this recipe great? i also put cream cheese frosting as well instead of seven-minute frosting. i just LOVE the sprinkling of the cinnamon sugar… my friends go crazy for it.

tinytearoom — March 24, 2011 at 2:24 am

I love snickerdoodle cookies. They are not well known in Australia and I made them out of curiousity from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook. I’d love to give these cupcakes a go.

lynne — March 24, 2011 at 11:07 am

Oh! these look great! I can’t wait to make them!

gretchen — March 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm

these look delicious! and super cute styling… love the colors!!

Joyti — April 19, 2011 at 11:36 pm

How sweet! These look magical, with that bit of sparkle…perfect for a birthday indeed.

Amber — April 22, 2011 at 11:02 am

Just found your website after searching for snickerdoodle cupcakes! I also heard mixed reviews about the 7 minute frosting which I have never made so I was glad to find your cream cheese frosting recipe! Great job and I love your site!

Ashley — May 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Hey!

I was wondering if the cream cheese frosting was enough to frost all 28 cupcakes, I’ve read a lot of recipes that usually call for double the cream cheese for 24 cupcakes!

Lovely recipe, and belated happy birthday to your little girl!

Thanks!! =)

• farmgirl replied on May 6th, 2011 at 2:27 pm

That frosting recipe is all I used for my cupcakes, but you can see I didn’t pile on an excessive amount of frosting onto each cupcake. It was more like a little cap sitting in the middle of the cupcake top. If you want to frost out to the edges and pile it high, yes, I would increase the quantity. Thanks for stopping by, Ashley!

Evelyn — May 31, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Oooh! I can’t wait to try these! Snickerdoodles have always been one of my favorites, as are just about any cupcake. Put them together and I am expecting Happy Mouth! Perhaps I’ll make these up for my birthday in August instead of a regular cake..hmm. Got my wheels turning now! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Darci Hawkins — August 10, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Just made these — so light & fluffy and of course delicious :) I have a prior recipe that is basically the same, except with buttercream & I now think I prefer the cream cheese frosting instead!

• farmgirl replied on August 13th, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Hi Darci – great to hear from you, thanks for letting me know – have a great weekend!

Stacey — August 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I just made these and I need to figure out why they turned out dry. I have a thermometer in my oven so I was spot on for the temp, I reduced the time because I make mini’s. The frosting is also a little less stiff than I wanted but overall these are a hit in flavor!

• farmgirl replied on August 14th, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Hello Stacey – I’ve made these several times and haven’t had any issues. I haven’t made minis, however, and do know that they usually require less baking time than I always guess. I would try baking for even less time – and check with a toothpick fairly early on, and then continue to check after every minute or so until they are just done. The frosting is not stiff. I would say it has a softly medium consistency. I would just make sure your cream cheese is just barely at room temperature when you start making it. And if it’s too soft for your liking/piping, chill the finished frosting for 20 or 30 minutes before piping. I hope this helps – best wishes!

Stacey — August 16, 2011 at 9:22 am

I agree on all your suggestions, once I had them in the refrigerator for a bit the frosting set up well, but it does soften back up fairly quickly once they are set out for guests. It didn’t fall though (which was my concern) so overall an A rating for this one, thanks!

debbie — October 31, 2011 at 9:40 am

i made snickerdoodles in school like a 100yrs ago just kidding but ilove them so much i am going to try your cupcake recipe. thank you very much. debbie

geraldine — December 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Hello, this sounds lovely, and I am going to try it, I am a fairly reasonable baker but I just have a few precisions, we don’t have cake flour, would you mind having a look at the package and letting me know whats added to the flour to make it cake flour and I would also like to know if when you say 24 cupcakes are they quite small. I guess I am trying to find out how to make around 12 what I would call queen or fairy cakes. The cupcakes I have seen in france made by american bakers seem almost half the size of ‘regular for me’ cupcakes or buns, about a big inch in diameter? thank you in advance for your help. The caramel ones look spectacular also. will have to give those a whirl -thanks
    g

Tara — December 22, 2013 at 1:22 pm

These were wonderful! Loved them with the cream cheese frosting and cinnamon sugar topping :)

• Brenda replied on December 22nd, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Wonderful! Thanks for coming back to let me know, Tara. :)

1. Pingback: Must make these « This Could Be Interesting…

2. Pingback: Thanksgiving Menu Ideas: 30 Thanksgiving Desserts

3. Pingback: Whoopie Pies with Fluffy Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cream

4. Pingback: Snickerdoodles | Jen's Favorite Cookies | Recipes & Photos - Part 1