Roasted Asparagus with Orange Vinaigrette
Each spring I look forward to the arrival of beautiful fresh asparagus. I can remember going hunting for it with Mom when I was young, scouring through the tall grass on property adjacent to the farmland. I wasn’t overly fond of asparagus back then, but as an adult, I have come to adore these lovely green spears.
Most often, I like to roast the asparagus, which brings out a slightly nutty flavor and gives their tapered tops a little crunch. I prefer a medium to large thickness for the spears, as the thin ones tend to go limp more readily. With just 3 additional ingredients – extra virgin olive oil, plus a sprinkling of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper – come a very flavorful dish. Simply combine the asparagus with these ingredients on a jelly-roll pan and pop them in a 425° oven for about 15 minutes, stirring half-way through.
And when I’m looking for something with a bit of fancy, I turn to this recipe with an orange vinaigrette. It’s still super simple and makes a beautiful presentation. The nuttiness of the roasted asparagus and the citrusy yum of the vinaigrette is a perfect combination. This recipe has been a favorite in our home for many years. It’s great served alongside a grilled steak or chicken breast.
- 1 T. grated orange rind
- 2 T. fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 T. finely chopped shallots
- .5 tsp. sugar
- .5 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 pound asparagus spears, with tough ends snapped off
- cooking spray
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients and stir in half of the salt and half of the black pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare a jelly-roll pan by covering with aluminum foil and then lightly coating with cooking spray (for easy clean-up!). Arrange asparagus in an even layer on the pan. Drizzle with oil and then roll the asparagus a bit to evenly coat with the oil. Sprinkle with remaining salt and black pepper. Roast for 10 minutes, stirring well after 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle asparagus with the orange juice mixture. Return pan to the oven and roast for another 5 minutes. Thin spears may require less total roasting time.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle asparagus with the orange juice mixture. Return pan to the oven and roast for another 5 minutes. Thin spears may require less total roasting time.
Adapted from Cooking Light magazine (My copy of this recipe is an original undated page I tore from a Cooking Light magazine many years ago. I couldn’t find the recipe on their site during a recent search.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 64Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.