Candied Ginger Shortbread Cookies
Shortbread that is perfectly buttery rich and crumbly is one of the simplest forms of cookie enjoyment. It’s not a baked good I grew up making, but I always liked when someone else would offer me some of their own. I’ve found myself experimenting with shortbread more and more the past few years. And my appreciation for it has only grown stronger.
These Candied Ginger Shortbread Cookies are a special sweet bite for those trying to maneuver their way around the chocolate-dipped and sprinkles-overloaded cookies on the holiday treat platter. They are delicate and crumbly and lightly sweet. And those little chewy morsels of zingy candied ginger are heavenly. And so pretty. Absolutely lovely with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 1/2 lb. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1.5 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. finely chopped candied ginger (also called crystallized ginger)
- With an electric mixer on low speed, combine butter and sugar for about 30 seconds. Beat in egg yolk, then flour, cornstarch, and salt, until the mixture barely holds together. Do not overbeat. Gently fold in the candied ginger.
- Lay out 2 pieces of plastic wrap that are about 12” long. Divide dough in half. Place each half on the center of separate pieces of plastic wrap. Using the plastic wrap, gently shape each piece of dough into a 6” long log, about 2” in diameter. Wrap tightly with the plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 275° F.
- With a sharp knife, slice cookies 1/4” thick and place on baking sheet, spacing 1” apart. Bake cookies until just firm but still quite tender and not at all brown, about 30 minutes. Cool for a minute on the baking sheet before removing to a rack to finish cooling.
Adapted from The New York Times recipe by Mark Bittman.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 69Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 13mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
I’m linking up with:
- Cheryl at TidyMom for I’m Lovin’ It (K-Cup Countertop Storage – Giveaway!)