Chocolate Malt Banana Ice Cream

Yowzers! It’s been one hot sticky mess around here this past week. It’s the kind of weather that usually leads to storms and power outages. Every night when I close my eyes, I pray that a storm doesn’t brew up and take away my electricity (air conditioning!).

When excessive heat is lined up for days on end, a person really must do all they can to keep cool and make the best of it. Our girls have hit the pool a few times over the past week. And I’ve made several batches of sweet cold tea and homemade ice cream. We churned a couple quarts of creamy (and super easy, no-cook) Peanut Butter Ice Cream last night, to take along to a 4th of July party tomorrow. And I’m still dreaming of the awesome Chocolate Malt Banana Ice Cream we made and devoured last week.

The Grand Ole Creamery in St. Paul is our family’s favorite destination ice cream shop, where the sweet aroma of freshly made malted waffle cones greets you before you ever even swing open their door. While they boast over 200 flavors of ice cream, their everyday offering is a smaller (but still huge!) rotation of frozen yum.

But after a couple visits a number of years ago where they didn’t offer my favorite chocolate malt banana…well, I was in a serious crisis. Something had to be done!

And that is how this chocolate malt banana ice cream came to grace our own freezer. It’s incredibly flavorful, with a delightful texture that is thick and almost chewy. I hope you like it, too!

Chocolate Malt Banana Ice Cream

Yield: about 1 quart

• 1 c. whole milk
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 2 c. heavy cream, divided
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 c. chocolate malt powder
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1 c. mashed very ripe banana
  • 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Prepare an ice bath by adding a good amount of ice cubes to a large bowl and then adding some cold water. Set aside.

Warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup of the cream, and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir until sugar dissolves. Remove pan from heat.

In a large bowl, combine remaining 1 cup of cream and chocolate malt powder. Set a mesh strainer over the top of the bowl and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warmed mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir the mixture constantly with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. It's now a custard. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream and malt powder. Add the vanilla and then set the bowl in the prepared ice bath. Stir the custard until it is no longer warm. Then place the custard in the refrigerator to chill thoroughly, about an hour.

Just before you are ready to churn the custard, combine the mashed banana with lemon juice. Place mixture in refrigerator.

When ready to churn the custard, pour it into your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. When the ice cream is thickened and mostly finished, stir in the cold banana mixture and churn for a few more minutes to completely combine.

Inspired by my favorite ice cream flavor at Grand Ol' Creamery in St. Paul, MN. I adapted quite heavily the Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz.

25 Responses to “Chocolate Malt Banana Ice Cream”

Julia {The Roasted Root} — July 3, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Luckily it hasn’t been too hot over here but I definitely sympathize with everyone who’s dealing with scorching weather right now! Chocolate banana malty ice cream sounds like a delicious dessert on a blazing hot day! I’d want to keep an endless bowl of it by the pool ;) Malt balls were one of my faves as a kid – great to see them in your dessert!

Krysten @ Mrs. Schwartz's Kitchen — July 3, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Yum I Love the Grand Ol’ Creamery! This ice cream looks to die for. However, I don’t like bananas. I know, so strange. Do you think I could omit and it would still be fab?

• Brenda replied on July 7th, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Hi Krysten! The ice cream is still great without the bananas (because I’ve tested it!). It does have a lesser texture, though.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — July 3, 2012 at 6:58 pm

This looks so unbelievably tasty! Love it!

Amy @ fragrantvanillacake — July 3, 2012 at 7:24 pm

This ice cream sounds fantabulous! I loved malted milk balls as a kid, but they would be awesome texturewise in this banana ice cream! Love it, hope you have a wonderful 4th :)!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — July 3, 2012 at 7:39 pm

This looks delicious and I love your polka dot bowls!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 3, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Awesome ice cream flavor! I love that you topped it with some whoppers!

Mike — July 4, 2012 at 6:42 am

Nice place to visit. Is it possible to add your blog to Feedreader? Thanks!

Lisa | With Style and Grace — July 4, 2012 at 11:15 am

Oh my goodness, this looks INCREDIBLE! I’m on a total ice cream kick – will eat it any time of day.

• Brenda replied on July 7th, 2012 at 9:50 pm

And, right now, you deserve ice cream any time of day. ;) Hope you and baby are doing well!

Paula — July 4, 2012 at 11:44 am

The Grand Ole Creamery sounds like an ice cream lovers paradise! Your own version of the chocolate malt banana flavour looks irresistible! Have a wonderful Independence Day celebration!

Cassie — July 4, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I adore malt flavor, great idea to add to ice cream!!

Tara — July 5, 2012 at 7:09 am

Now that’s what I’m talking about! I’m totally in love with any recipe with malt powder so adding ice cream to the mix is the next natural progression to greatness. Thanks for sharing!

Maria — July 5, 2012 at 8:41 am

I can’t wait to try this ice cream flavor!

Shaina — July 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Yum, yum, yum. I’m coming to your house. I need to make more ice cream, and it’s just not happening. Therefore, I am now your new house guest. Wanted or not. ;)

• Brenda replied on July 7th, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Wanted, any time. :)

Kristen — July 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm

That looks like the most amazing ice cream. I love your “if you can’t find it make it yourself” attitude!

Mercedes — July 7, 2012 at 11:21 am

What an amazing flavor combination! There is nothing like ice cream in the summer. I really need to make some homemade ice cream, but I have no room in my freezer to cool my attachment at the moment!!

• Brenda replied on July 7th, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I cleaned out the freezer so I could fit both of my ice cream maker bowls in. We’ve been using it steadily the past month. :)

Terri @ that's some good cookin' — July 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Ohhhhhhhh, my oh my. Somebody’s husband (MINE) is gonna be a happy, happy man. This looks excellent!

• Brenda replied on July 22nd, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I hope you (your husband!) like it. So yum!

1. Pingback: 25 Ice Cream Recipes from Around the Web | Noble Pig