Pork Chops with Andouille & Pecan Stuffing

More than 10 years have passed since the last time we made these Pork Chops with Andouille & Pecan Stuffing. And it’s not because we didn’t like them. No, Blake and I have talked about them many times over the years. They are memorable, and I especially think about them when Easter rolls around, since that’s when we made them for our parents so long ago. The thing is…I lost part of the recipe over the years and just kept hoping it would show up at some point.

But come this lovely spring like none other on record here in the Midwest, I was done waiting. I knew it was time to recreate the recipe.

I wanted to start off on the right foot with the pork chops and andouille. So I stopped at our local Hagberg’s Country Market, known for its exceptional meats. It has the feel of a small hometown store, with jingle bells that announce your entrance and friendly folks behind the counter who’ll ask you about your day. They sent me on my way with some thick beautiful chops, a ring of spicy andouille, and a “have a nice day”. Yes, Sir, I do believe I will!

This recipe is kinda fun to put together. I like cutting the slits in the chops and filling them with stuffing. And there’s just nothing like a pork chop seared in a hot cast iron skillet. I love the textures of the stuffing’s sausage and pecans, tucked inside the perfectly crusted pork chops. It’s an incredibly tasty dish and, paired with some simple green veggies, makes for an impressive meal in a rather small amount of time. You can bet it won’t take another 10 years for us to make these again!

Pork Chops with Andouille & Pecan Stuffing

Yield: 4 stuffed pork chops

• 3 T. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 3 oz. andouille or other spicy sausage, finely chopped
  • 1/2 c. finely chopped onion
  • 1/4 c. finely chopped celery
  • 1/4 c. finely chopped carrot
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/3 c. finely chopped pecans
  • 2 T. dry bread crumbs
  • 1 T. chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 T. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste, plus additional for sprinkling the stuffed chops
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus additional for sprinkling the stuffed chops
  • 4 pork rib chops that are 1'' thick

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large cast iron skillet (or other heavy oven-safe skillet) over medium heat. Add the andouille and brown for 2 minutes. Stir well and add the onion, celery, and carrots, and cook for 2 more minutes. Add garlic. Stir and cook until onion is translucent and softened. Scrape into a medium bowl and then add the pecans, bread crumbs, thyme, parsley, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Mix well.

Preheat oven to 350°.

With a sharp knife, cut a deep wide pocket in each chop. Divide the stuffing evenly between the 4 chops and pack into each pocket. Sprinkle both sides of chops with a little kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Heat the same cast iron skillet again over medium high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the chops. Sauté until browned, 4 minutes per side. Then immediately transfer the whole skillet with the chops to the oven. Bake for 7 minutes. This should yield an internal pork chop temperature of about 140°. Pull the skillet out of the oven and let rest on the stove top for a bit, until the temperature rises to 145°.

I wish I knew where this recipe came from! I adapted what I had of a partial copy of a recipe, with no source info on it. And I can't find anything online that resembles it.

16 Responses to “Pork Chops with Andouille & Pecan Stuffing”

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf — March 31, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Oh, these look scrumptious! Also pretty, if that makes sense. I love stuffed pork and usually just do tenderloins with various stuffings. Definitely making these as soon as I find the best place for some great chops. Thanks!

Harriet — April 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm

We often have pork at easter really, not sure why cos lamb is usually the traditional meat at this time of year. These look amazing, unfortunatley my housemate has a slight intolerance to nuts so I’d have to think of a different stuffing!

Mom — April 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I still remember how tasty these chops were! What a memorable Easter that was, with good food and baby Hatti too!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 2, 2012 at 2:04 am

I’m seriously in love with any recipe that involves the word “stuffed.” It brings me to my happy place :)

And these pork chops look great. I’m particularly excited about that stuffing. Andouille is one of my favorite sausages!

Liz — April 2, 2012 at 2:36 am

Pork Chops with Andouille & Pecan Stuffing sounds good. But I’ve never been tasted yet. Thanks for the ingredients. I’ll try to cook this after Holy Week.

Denisse Mock — April 2, 2012 at 5:45 am

I’ve been looking for a new recipe and landed on your blog! This will be perfect for today’s lunch looks soo delicious, can’t wait to try it!

the wicked noodle — April 2, 2012 at 8:48 am

These look great! Love stuffed pork chops of any kind.

Maria — April 2, 2012 at 9:57 am

Love the stuffing!

naomi — April 2, 2012 at 10:13 am

LOVE that stuffing. Pork is actually one of my fav meat, so I’m making this for sure!

Paula — April 2, 2012 at 9:17 pm

The photograph alone has me wanted to heat up my cast iron skillet! I had to look up what andouille was and when I did I could only imagine how bursting with flavour these pork chops must be.

Sheila — April 2, 2012 at 11:11 pm

These made my mouth water. We love a good pork chop around our house! Thanks for recreating and sharing :)

Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen — April 3, 2012 at 1:10 am

Aww, you just stuffed a pork chop! What magic is this!!! -drools

Rose — April 3, 2012 at 1:41 am

I love fried or grilled pork chop alone. This additional stuffing will make it better.

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — April 4, 2012 at 9:01 am

Oh these sound just divine! Maybe I can pull this off for our little Easter dinner :)

N — May 11, 2012 at 11:29 pm

How did you keep the pork chops from drying out? Did you add any liquid into the pan during the baking process to keep the meat moist? You covered the pan while in the oven, correct?

• Brenda replied on May 18th, 2012 at 9:14 pm

No liquid was added to the pan, and the pan was not covered. Just don’t overcook on the stovetop or in the oven – hope you like this recipe!