Sparkly Red Velvet Brownie Bites

Today’s my mom’s birthday.

With this special day falling at the beginning of the Christmas season, it always feels appropriate to bake something holiday-ish. I’ve turned to red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting in the past, as it always makes for a beautiful presentation. And we’re definitely a chocolate cake and cream cheese frosting kind of family!

So this year I made a riff on that famous cake, coming up with some rich brownies that capture all those delicious flavors. Then, because I wanted to offer smaller portions for holiday party platters, I cut these super dense and delicious red velvet brownies into bite-size pieces. Well, bite-size to my husband. More like two bites for me!

The finishing touch is a sprinkling of edible sparkle glitter, adding a little something special for this wonderful time of the year. Kinda like after a fresh snow fall, when the world is blanketed in white, shimmering in diamond dust.

I think these Sparkly Red Velvet Brownie Bites will make the perfect addition to my sweets platter for upcoming holiday parties. And I know Mom is gonna love them when we celebrate her birthday this upcoming weekend!

………………………………………………………………..

Want to know what Mom & I have been up to lately?
We’ve been playing Wordfeud

If you don’t know about this free app, it’s a word game very similar to Scrabble. It allows us to compete against eachother on our iPhones, connecting us on a daily basis with over two hundred miles between us!

Mom is directly responsible for my love of word games. Scrabble, Wheel of Fortune, Bananagrams, crossword puzzles – you name it, we’re there. When visiting eachother’s homes, our nights are usually closed down with a crossword puzzle from the day’s paper. So when she suggested we start up Wordfeud, a game she had already been playing with my word wiz of a brother-in-law Scott, I didn’t hesitate.

It’s been so much fun. Even though we aren’t having a conversation every day, it still feels like there’s a daily connectedness.

Do you have a favorite game app that you play with someone special?
I’d love to hear about it!

Print Print Save Save

• 1/2 tsp. baking powder

for the sparkly cream cheese frosting:

• 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 4 T. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1-1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar
  • white sparkles edible glitter, optional

for the red velvet brownies:

Preheat oven to 325°. Fold a 16'' long piece of foil to a 9'' x 16'' strip and place in 9'' x 9'' metal baking pan, leaving overhang on 2 sides. Repeat with another sheet of foil the same size in the opposite direction, lining pan completely. Spray foil with nonstick spray.

Stir butter and chocolate in heavy large saucepan over very low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Whisk in sugar, then eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in vanilla, salt, and food coloring. Sift flour and baking powder over mixture and stir to blend well. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake brownies until puffed and dry-looking and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist batter attached, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack.

for the sparkly cream cheese frosting:

Prepare the frosting by first beating together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix a bit to incorporate. Then add the sifted powdered sugar and beat to combine.

Using the foil as an aid, lift brownies from pan and place on cutting board. Peel foil down away from the sides of brownies. Spread cream cheese frosting evenly over brownies. Sprinkle with edible glitter, if desired. Cut into bites 1-1/4'' x 1-1/4''. To achieve clean cuts, wipe the knife after each slice.

Inspired by a red velvet brownie I had while visiting my parents. Brownie base heavily adapted from these spectacular Cappuccino Brownies from Bon Appetit.

Happy Birthday, Mom!

I’m linking up with:

61 Responses to “Sparkly Red Velvet Brownie Bites”

Mom — November 30, 2011 at 7:30 am

Can’t wait to try your version of these brownies. Your blog was delightful, dear daughter.

• farmgirl replied on November 30th, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Happy Birthday, Mom! xoxo

Amanda — November 30, 2011 at 8:16 am

Gorgeous!!! And what a neat way to stay connected to your mom… I dont have a phone that has aps (it literally dials phone numbers and thats it) but will have to try that ap out one day! :)

• farmgirl replied on November 30th, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Thanks, Amanda! {miss you!}

Angie @ Bigbearswife — November 30, 2011 at 9:15 am

So pretty! Great Job on them!

• farmgirl replied on November 30th, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Thank you, Angie. :)

Paula — November 30, 2011 at 12:27 pm

These brownies are so very pretty. Your Mom is going to enjoy these when you see her this weekend. Happy Birthday to her and all the best for a wonderful year.

• farmgirl replied on November 30th, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Thanks, Paula. I know she’s going to love them!

Becca — November 30, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Aww, the little brownies look so cute, not to mention delicious! I love the last picture with the single candle. It just makes me want to squeeze the brownie because of it’s cuteness… but then I could get red brownie and cream cheese all over me, which might not be a bad thing ;)

farmgirl — November 30, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Thank you, Becca. That one with the candle – that will be exactly how Mom gets hers this weekend. :)

Maria — December 1, 2011 at 8:25 am

Happy Birthday to your mom! These brownies are the perfect way to celebrate!

• farmgirl replied on December 1st, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I’ll tell my mom to come read her birthday greetings. :) Thanks, Maria!

Julia — December 1, 2011 at 11:14 am

Happy Birthday to your mom, and that’s so cute that she even comments ;) Gorgeous brownies too!

• farmgirl replied on December 1st, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Mom’s one of my biggest fans/supporters. :) I’ll pass along the birthday greetings. Thanks, Julia!

Run DMT — December 2, 2011 at 8:37 am

I love this! It’s two of my favorite treats: Red Velvet and brownies! How could you go wrong?! I love how you finish it with sugar crystals on top. The red and the snowy look of the sugar crystals are perfect for the holidays! I pinned your recipe for safe keeping. ;-)

I co-host a foodie meme called Friday Food Fight. I would love for you to link up and share your brownie recipe. Hope to see you in the ring! :-)

• farmgirl replied on December 4th, 2011 at 9:57 pm

So nice to meet you – thank you!!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — December 2, 2011 at 6:05 pm

These are beautiful! Happy Birthday to your Mom! I’d love for you to join my linky sometime, Crazy Sweet Tuesday, the link runs through Friday.

• farmgirl replied on December 4th, 2011 at 10:01 pm

So nice to meet you, Dorothy! And thank you very much – I will pass your birthday greetings along to Mom! :)

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — December 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Oh goodness, these looks amazing! Love bite size desserts.

• farmgirl replied on December 4th, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Thank you, Lisa! :)

Chris — December 3, 2011 at 10:14 pm

These look lovely! What a nice birthday treat!
    I love reading through RV recipes to see how everyone’s personal spin on an old fav. Love the bittersweet chocolate! :)

• farmgirl replied on December 4th, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Hello, dear Chris! I imagine you’ve seen it all down there, huh?! ;) Wonderful to hear from you – thank you!!!

Harriet — December 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm

These look amazing! Red Velvet cupcakes are my favourite naughty treat, I’ll be baking some for my christmas party this weekend!

• farmgirl replied on December 4th, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Thanks, Harriet! Hope your Christmas party is fabulous – enjoy that red velvet!!

Heather @ House of Woyaks — December 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Saw this on Tidy Mom’s post today! These look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Can’t wait to make them :)

• farmgirl replied on December 4th, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Hello Heather – so nice to meet you! Hope you like these!

Kathy — December 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I just happened upon your blog and had to leave you a comment. Love the red velvet brownies…your mom will love them. I’m glad I found your blog while I was browsing. Looking forward to visiting again.

• farmgirl replied on December 10th, 2011 at 7:19 am

So nice to hear from you, Kathy – thanks!

Geni — December 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm

These brownies look ridiculously delicious and sooooooooo dangerous. Beautiful photos too!

• farmgirl replied on December 10th, 2011 at 7:26 am

Thank you, Geni! :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — December 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Happy Belated Birthday to your mom! My husband has been playing words with friends lately on his phone but he beats me every time!

• farmgirl replied on December 10th, 2011 at 7:27 am

It’s not whether you win or lose…(right?!) :) Great to hear from you, Sylivie!

Deana — December 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm

That look sooooo goooood….Found you at tidy mom

• farmgirl replied on December 10th, 2011 at 7:28 am

Thank you, Deana – and thanks for visiting!!

Dixie — December 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I am planning to make these for an ornament I am hosting tomorrow night. Do you think I can make and frost them today and they will keep well for tomorrow in the fridge? By the way, I am new to your blog and I always look forward to reading about what you’re creating.

• farmgirl replied on December 12th, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Most definitely, Dixie. Just keep them in an airtight container in the fridge until tomorrow. So nice to meet you – thanks for reading!! :)

• Dixie replied on December 13th, 2011 at 10:04 am

They turned out perfectly. So pretty and festive for Christmas. The glitter adds the perfect touch, too!! Thanks for a great recipe.

• farmgirl replied on December 13th, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Yay! Thanks for taking the time to let me know!! :)

Joan — December 15, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Just made the brownies for my husbands coworkers. Had to take a nibble. Don’t know what it is about red velvet but the brownies are fabulous!

Run DMT — December 16, 2011 at 4:10 am

I made your brownies and they were PERFECT. I shared it on my blog today.

Tammy — January 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I made these for New Year’s! I heard that red velvet cake was good luck… Not sure where I heard it, but hey… It can’t hurt!

They were super easy to make and turned out beautifully!

• farmgirl replied on January 7th, 2012 at 10:17 am

Thanks for letting me know, Tammy. I’ve never heard that before, but it sounds great to me!! So glad you liked them.

sarah — January 12, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Those look even better than red velvet cupcakes! Way more original to serve in little squares. You can actually see the red part that is usually covered by a cupcake wrapper.

Deborah Pena — February 20, 2012 at 3:56 am

Yay! Don’t know what it is about red velvet but the brownies are fabulous!

jennie — May 27, 2012 at 6:26 am

i made these last night for friends, and they were such a big hit. the sparkles are too fun! thanks.

• Brenda replied on May 28th, 2012 at 7:57 pm

That’s wonderful to hear. Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to come back and let me know. :)

Amanda — January 24, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Included these in a Valentine’s Day roundup tonight! Beautiful photos!
    Amanda

• Brenda replied on January 24th, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Thank you, Amanda.

Chantel — February 2, 2013 at 8:51 am

Your recipe is amazing and the brownies are to die for! :)
    Was wondering if you could also make mini cupcakes using this recipe, in a mini muffin pan? How long would the bake time be, and would you need to modify the ratio of the ingredients?

1. Pingback: Christmas Ideas | TidyMom

2. Pingback: Frostbitten Red Velvet Brownie Bites | Run DMT

3. Pingback: Links to Love: A Holiday Edition (Week 3) | MomOf6

4. Pingback: Getting a Little Christmas Going On - Slacker Foodie

5. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownie Bites - ThatsSoYummy.com

6. Pingback: Ebony Peoples Events & Design » Blog Archive » Valentine’s Day: The Red Velvet Edition

7. Pingback: Sweetapolita – Red Velvet & Cinnamon Layer Cake {and Red Velvet Love!}

8. Pingback: Wow. Red Velvet Brownie Bites with Cream Cheese Frosting. Wow. « sweatlikemambo

9. Pingback: Valentine's Decorations and Food Ideas | Amanda Jane Brown

10. Pingback: Dallas Wedding and Event Planner — Valentine’s Day: The Red Velvet Edition

11. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies | Sea Rewynd Make