Whole Wheat Banana Muffins with Chocolate and Cherries
These Whole Wheat Banana Muffins with Chocolate and Cherries hold a bright red cherry surprise inside!
I have been meaning to share this recipe for Whole Wheat Banana Muffins with Chocolate and Cherries with you for so long! So long, in fact, that I had to reshoot the photos that I took more than a year ago. I guarantee that my procrastination will be worth your (unknown to you) wait, though. Bake up a pan of these muffins. The banana/chocolate/cherry combo is fabulously delicious!
These muffins are a twist on our favorite banana muffins recipe, using white whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose. White whole wheat has become the preference for so much of our baking, adding deeper flavor and whole wheat goodness, while still retaining a light and fluffy texture that doesn’t easily dry out. We especially like what it does to banana muffins.
My favorite loaf of banana bread in all the world is a recipe from my aunt Mary Jane. When I was growing up, my mom would add chopped maraschino cherries to the batter, a little flair she borrowed from her own mom. And I just can’t help myself. I grew to love cherries in my banana bread and muffins, and continue the tradition to this day with my own family.
It’s such fun to slice through the muffin, to find that bright red cherry surprise hiding inside. Our girls get such a kick out of it!
And the mini chocolate chips sprinkled over the top? They’re just a natural way to finish off these muffins, if you ask me. And, confess I will: there’s rarely a banana muffin baked in this house that doesn’t sport a sprinkling of chocolate chips.
I’m planning to bake these whole wheat banana muffins, sprinkled with chocolate and hiding sweet cherries, for breakfast this Saturday. Pretty much the perfect Valentine’s Day breakfast, don’t you agree?
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter
- 1.5 c. mashed banana (about 3 large bananas)
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1.5 c. white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 c. mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a regular size muffin tin with twelve paper liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl in the microwave, gently melt the butter. Let it sit to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas thoroughly. Add sugar and egg. Stir to combine, and then stir in the melted butter.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add these dry ingredients to the banana mixture and fold lightly. Add half of the batter to the prepared muffin cups, dividing the batter evenly amongst the twelve cups. Gently press one cherry into the center of each cup of batter, taking care to not press the cherry to the bottom of the muffin tin. Add the remaining batter to the cups, dividing the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups, covering the cherries. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until nicely golden at the edges, and just set in the center. Let muffins rest in pan for a minute, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
from a farmgirl’s dabbles
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 251mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
Other banana recipes you might enjoy: