Grasshopper Cake: This creme de menthe cake has layers of moist mint cake, chocolate fudge, and minty whipped cream. A longtime family favorite recipe, it’s perfect for Christmas or St. Patrick’s Day!
CLICK HERE to save recipe to Pinterest!
This creme de menthe cake has happy childhood memories written all over it.
When Mom made Grasshopper Cake, it didn’t matter the season, it always felt like a holiday. Its layers of minty green and chocolate fudge have always mesmerized me. This dessert remains a favorite of mine to this day, and has captured the hearts of my husband and daughters as well.
Mom was always known for having some Chocolate Mint Brownies stashed away in the freezer. (For emergencies, ya know!)
That mint + chocolate flavor combo is still one of her favorites, and I can’t help but think of her every time I see it.
Mom still makes this mint chocolate cake from the handwritten recipe card given to her from our farm neighbor and friend, Judi Fritz. I have memories of Judi cutting this cake in her kitchen, portioning it out for a houseful of neighbor friends.
How to make grasshopper cake
I have less than a handful of recipes on hand that start with a cake mix. And this is one of them. With just a few added ingredients, this cake is ready to bake.
The next step is the chocolate fudge layer, which also could not be easier. If you can open a jar of your favorite fudge topping (here’s my favorite), you can make this cake’s fudge layer!
And finally, a layer of mint-enhanced Cool Whip finishes off this pretty cake. While I’m a diehard for homemade whipped cream, this is one recipe that I’m ok with not getting out the mixer and beaters.
Layer one, layer two, layer three. And you’re done!!
Like this creme de menthe cake? Pin it!
Check out more of my mint chocolate deliciousness:
- Mint Chocolate Chip Buttercream Brownie Cookies
- Chocolate Cake with Fluffy Mint Chocolate Chip Buttercream
- Homemade Chocolate Pudding Cups with Mint Grasshopper Cream
And here are a few recipes I found that I’d like to try!
- Mint Chocolate Swirl Bark from Love & Olive Oil
- Mint Hot Cocoa from Lil’ Luna
- Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies from Two Peas & Their Pod
for the cake:
- 1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake Mix with pudding in the mix
- 1-1/4 c. water
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites from three large eggs
- 4 oz. Creme de Menthe liqueur or syrup...I prefer liqueur
for the topping:
- Preheat oven to 350° F for shiny metal or glass pan, or to 325° F for dark or nonstick pan. Lightly spray the bottom only of a 9'' x 13'' pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the cake mix, water, oil, and egg whites on low speed for 30 seconds. Turn mixer up to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes more, scraping the bowl occasionally. Batter will be a bit lumpy. Stir in the Creme de Menthe. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 27 to 32 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Be careful to not over bake, as it will end up dry. Cool completely.
- Gently spread fudge topping evenly over the cake. In a medium bowl, stir together Cool Whip and 2 ounces Creme de Menthe. Spread mixture evenly over the fudge. If desired, garnish with chopped Andes Mints. Store covered in the refrigerator.
NOTE: The cake photos in this post show this cake made with two jars of hot fudge topping. Only use two jars if you REALLY like fudge a whole lot. Otherwise stick to the recipe as written, using a single jar of fudge topping.
from the recipe box of neighbor and friend Judi Fritz
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 50mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 24g Protein: 2g
This post was previously published in 2012. I updated some of the photographs and some of the text in 2019.
We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. See our disclosure policy for more info.