Coconut Scones with Dark Chocolate Chunks
With Mother’s Day just around the corner, Mom was definitely on my mind with this recipe. She was the flavor inspiration for these Coconut Scones with Dark Chocolate Chunks. Give her anything with that coconut and chocolate combo, and she’s a happy girl!
I also know how much she just plain loves any scones that I make…a little sweet, puffed up high, with a light texture and a moist crumb. This time around, I swapped out half of the all-purpose flour for white whole wheat, and tried coconut milk in lieu of buttermilk. Add in some dark chocolate chunks, with coconut inside and out (just look at that beautifully toasted coconut on top!), and these scones are really something special. Just like my mom.
Flashback to 1976, when our family visited Minnesota’s gorgeous Itasca State Park, where the mighty Mississippi River starts its southerly journey to the Gulf of Mexico. We walked across the headwaters multiple times as a family over the years, but I especially love this photo with Mom when us girls were so young.
Happy Mother’s Day to the most awesome mom ever!
- 1 c. white whole wheat flour
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/3 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 c. sweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c. coconut milk, well stirred
- 2 tsp. coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2'' pieces
- 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4'' pieces (I used Ghirardelli 60% cacao)
for the coconut topping:
- 1 T. milk
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 c. sweetened shredded coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, and coconut.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, coconut milk, and extracts.
- With a rigid pastry blender or two large forks, cut butter pieces into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles course meal, with small chunks of butter still visible. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a fork just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chunks. Do not overmix.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead 5 or 6 times. Pat into an 8'' disk and cut into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet.
for the coconut topping:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and egg white. Brush lightly over each dough wedge and then press coconut flakes lightly onto the tops of each wedge.
- Bake until scones are golden brown and set, about 13 minutes. Let cool on pan 5 minutes before removing to wire rack. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Scones are best eaten the day they are made. But a great trick for eating them the next day? Simply preheat a baking stone in a 300° F oven and then set already baked scones onto the stone for 3 to 5 minutes. The scones will be almost like fresh baked!
from a farmgirl’s dabbles
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 370mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
I’m linking up with:
Cheryl at TidyMom for I’m Lovin’ It (DIY Lime Mint Foot Soak)
Mother’s Day is the perfect time to send Mom or Grandma or another special lady in your life this beautiful tower of deliciousness. This giveaway comes straight from Harry and David, a company that prides itself in exquisite food gifts. I had the pleasure and extreme honor of spending some time with Harry and David last fall in their southern Oregon home, and can attest to the awesomeness of this company and its products.
This Mother’s Day giveaway is for a deluxe tower of treats, a gift packaging that Harry and David is famous for. It’s so much fun opening up the individual boxes, all beautifully wrapped.
Here’s what’s included (a $59.95 value):
- Royal Riviera Pears
- Milk Chocolate Moose Munch Popcorn
- Lemon Lavender Cookies
- Raspberry Galettes
- Original Baklava
- Dark Chocolate Cherries
- Chocolate Toffee Almonds
- Assorted Truffles
My mom received this same exact tower. After opening it, she immediately texted me a photo and a thank you with a bunch of little emoticon hearts. My parents love, love, love all the products from Harry and David! Longtime favorites of theirs, included in this tower, are the Royal Riviera Pears, Moose Munch Popcorn, and Dark Chocolate Cherries. Mom loved the Raspberry Galettes and said the Lemon Lavender Cookies were very unique and tasty, too. She also told me they set aside the truffles and Moose Munch, saving them for an extra special treat. :)