Stephanie’s Bacon Bow Ties

I’m not quite certain how these Bacon Bow Ties should be classified. Are they an appetizer? A cookie? Or maybe just some kind of delightful sin…which somehow feels appropriate, considering this recipe comes from our pastor’s wife. ;)

Stephanie introduced our family to these incredible 2-bite pieces of bacon amazingness on Labor Day, at a backyard barbecue that she and her husband hosted. Although Tom and Stephanie certainly proved their way around the kitchen and outdoor grills, these little babies are what left me swooning.

They’re crunchy. They’re chewy. They’re an awesome mix of sweet and savory, with brown sugar slowly baked and caramelized on the salty smoky bacon.

And of course, I couldn’t leave well enough alone when making the bacon bow ties at home myself. All I could think about was…“How would these taste with a little dark chocolate?!”

Sinful?

Heavenly?

I think both words are absolutely perfect descriptions.

Stephanie's Bacon Bow Ties

Yield: about 30 bacon bow ties

• about 30 multigrain Club Crackers
  • 1 lb. bacon, at room temperature
  • 2 to 3 c. brown sugar (I used closer to 2 cups)
  • optional, to drizzle with chocolate:
  • 1/2 c. bittersweet chocolate chips (I used 60% cacao Ghirardelli chips)
  • 1/2 T. butter

Preheat oven to 250°. Prepare a large rimmed baking pan by lining it with foil and then placing a wire baking rack on the foil. Or use a broiler pan.

Make sure the bacon is at room temperature, as it helps the brown sugar soak in better. Cut bacon slices in half and stretch each piece around the middle of a cracker. Pack brown sugar all around the bacon so it is heavily coated. Place on wire rack. Bake for 2 to 3 hours (Stephanie bakes for the full 3 hours).

To top with chocolate, melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat until almost completely melted. Do not overheat. Remove from heat and stir until completely smooth. With a spoon, drizzle chocolate over desired amount of (already baked) bacon bow ties. Let set.

From the recipe box of Stephanie Pfotenhauer, originally a popular recipe at her home church in Florida.

13 Responses to “Stephanie’s Bacon Bow Ties”

bridget {bake at 350} — October 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Oh my goodness! I think I MUST give these a try!

Becca - Cookie Jar Treats — October 9, 2012 at 8:22 pm

These look really interesting. It looks like a cookie but the ingredients say snack… Maybe it gives me an excuse to have a cookie for a mid afternoon snack :P

Robyn | Add a Pinch — October 10, 2012 at 6:27 am

These do look sinful and heavenly all in one bite!

cassie — October 10, 2012 at 9:44 am

Oh my goodness what a decadent treat. These are awesome, Brenda!

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — October 10, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I’ve never been a huge fan of bacon with chocolate… but bacon with brown sugar is amazingly delicious! What a fun snack!

Susan — October 10, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I’m just wondering if the bacon goes all the way around the cracker? Thanks.

• Brenda replied on October 16th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Hi, Susan – yes, the bacon does go all the way around.

Paula — October 10, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I’ve never seen anything like this. What a enticing appetizer and right up the alley of irresistible for all of us bacon lovers. Sinfully delicious all right!

Amanda Padgett — October 11, 2012 at 11:18 am

Brenda, these sounds very good and they look fairly easy to make! Thank you for sharing with us.

Traci — October 12, 2012 at 10:15 am

Chocolate with anything is do able. This looks absolutely fantastic. What a great combination!

nest of posies — October 15, 2012 at 10:53 am

never heard of anything like this, but they sounds wonderful! i love brown sugar on anything, so i’m sure this will be a winner for me!

xo
    have a super week!
    kellie

• Brenda replied on October 16th, 2012 at 9:59 pm

These were rather mind blowing to me, upon my first introduction. Too much fun!

Alice Keller — October 17, 2012 at 8:08 am

Girl, you have got quit, lol. I’m going to live in my kitchen! My daughters, who all are adults mind you, will be trying these tonight or tomorrow night. I’m a vegetarian so I don’t eat bacon. I remember it’s taste well, though:) I imagine these are decadent and just too addictive. I’ll let you know what they think!