Chocolate Chip Scones with Peanut Butter Glaze

This recipe, baked last Wednesday, is responsible for my all-salad diet last Thursday. I found them so irresistibly good, that I couldn’t help but break off a piece of scone every time I walked past the cooling rack. Pretty soon, I had quite a few down the hatch. And see that glaze pooled up under the rack of scones? Yep, I slurped that up, too. Seriously. That good.

The scones are part cookie, I suppose you could say. I’ve combined the goodness of my mom’s chocolate chip cookies, in all their brown sugar and chocolate chip goodness, with just the most perfect partner. Peanut butter. In the form of a luscious glaze that I borrowed from one of my favorite recipes of Maria’s from Two Peas & Their Pod. Her Peanut Butter Apple Bars are one of my family’s favorite treats, and we’ve gotten quite a few of our friends and family hooked on them as well. They always disappear in record time.

These Chocolate Chip Scones with Peanut Butter Glaze are light and tender on the inside, with the most beautiful thin outer crust. Sweetened just a bit with brown sugar and then drizzled with a sweeter peanut butter yum, they are a little wedge of heaven. When you make them, you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about. And I dare you to walk past that pooled up peanut butter glaze without swiping some into your own mouth. Resistance is utterly futile.

Chocolate Chip Scones with Peanut Butter Glaze

Yield: 12 scones

for the chocolate chip scones:
  • 2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 c. packed brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 c. cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
  • 3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I like Guittard brand.)
  • 1/2 c. buttermilk (Use buttermilk only, do not substitute.)
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 T. milk
  • for the peanut butter glaze:
  • 3/4 c. sifted powdered sugar
  • 2 T. milk
  • 2 T. creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

for the chocolate chip scones:

Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in chocolate chips. Make a well in the center and add buttermilk, egg, and vanilla. Stir just until combined, taking care to not overmix.

Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead 5 or 6 times. Pat into an 8'' circle and cut into 8 wedges. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, about 1-1/2'' apart. Brush each wedge of dough lightly with milk. Then bake until scones are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

for the peanut butter glaze:

After removing the scones from the oven, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together all glaze ingredients until smooth. When the scones are mostly cooled (they can be slightly warm yet), drizzle the peanut butter glaze over the scones.

I believe scones are always best the day they are baked. But this recipe does allow for some advance prep. The unbaked dough freezes really well, enabling you to store the unbaked scones in your freezer and bake them up fresh when desired. Just cut the dough into wedges, place them on a tray in the freezer for an hour and then transfer the frozen wedges to a plastic freezer bag. On the day you want to bake them, take them directly from freezer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper (do not thaw first) and brush with milk. You will need to bake the frozen dough a bit longer, adding about 4 or 5 minutes onto the regular baking time.

Scones heavily adapted from Everyday Food by Martha Stewart, originally from Letty Hampton of Oxford, MI.

Peanut butter glaze adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod's recipe for Peanut Butter Apple Bars (one of my family's favorite treats!).

I’m linking up with the following:

45 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Scones with Peanut Butter Glaze”

Maria — February 24, 2012 at 7:17 am

I am dying over here! You know I love that glaze and I love scones and cookies. These are PERFECT! And I posted scones today too:) I knew we were destined to be bff’s:)

• Brenda replied on February 24th, 2012 at 9:00 am

Thanks, Maria. Your cinnamon ones will grace our table when my mom visits next. She’s all about the cinnamon! :)

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — February 24, 2012 at 8:29 am

Definitely on my soon-to-bake list!

• Brenda replied on February 24th, 2012 at 9:00 am

Soooooooo good! Hope you like them, too!

Cassie — February 24, 2012 at 8:32 am

These sound like the perfect scones, I’m a huge fan of the flavor combo!

• Brenda replied on February 24th, 2012 at 9:01 am

I love the texture, and also that they’re not overly sweet, just perfectly so. Have a great weekend, Cassie!

Mom — February 24, 2012 at 9:17 am

These scones looks so yummy, Brenda! I can just see you sneaking a taste as you walk through the kitchen.

• Brenda replied on February 25th, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I just couldn’t help myself. A few too many times. Yum!

The Summer Kitchen Girls — February 24, 2012 at 10:28 am

Brenda,
    You are the devil…..these look pure evil….we are starting our salad diet now, so that we will be able to eat the whole batch….yes, they look THAT good!
    What a fantastic scone for a little girls’ tea party…hmmmmm….got us thinking ~ only problem is deciding on a flavor of tea to go with these ~ lol!

• Brenda replied on February 25th, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I’ve already thought about making them in smaller sizes – it would be great for a brunch selection. Super sweet for a little girls’ tea party…love it!

Sheila — February 24, 2012 at 10:33 am

Brenda, Thanks for linking up at Meals 4 Sharing Fridays and linking me in your post…it’s much appreciated Sweetheart! These scones look fabulous!

• Brenda replied on February 25th, 2012 at 2:36 pm

You’re welcome, Sheila. And, thank YOU! Have a great weekend!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — February 24, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I love any excuse to pretty much have dessert for breakfast-and any pb/chocolate combination. These look like HEAVEN.

• Brenda replied on February 25th, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Thank you, Kayle!

Paula — February 24, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I think I would have pulled up a chair right beside the cooling rack! These look so good and the flavour combinations are hard to beat.

Harriet — February 24, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Oh wow! I love peanut butter, would you recommend these without the chocolate? I’ve given up chocolate for lent in an attempt to lose a few pounds so I guess eating something with peanut butter in it wouldn’t be too good either!

• Brenda replied on February 25th, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Hi, Harriet! These scones would still be good without chocolate, just because I think they have wonderful texture and a slightly sweetened base. But…as soon as Lent is over, try it with the chocolate!! ;)

Geni — February 24, 2012 at 2:47 pm

What’s not to love about these scones with the peanut butter just dripping all over? Congrats on being on Food Gawker1 :) Have a very happy weekend.

• Brenda replied on February 25th, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Thank you, Geni! Happy weekend to you, too!

Blog is the New Black — February 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Something abuot this flavor combo drives me WILD! ;)

• Brenda replied on February 25th, 2012 at 2:41 pm

It’s not a combo I usually eat for breakfast. But why not?!?! So good!

Becca- cookie jar treats — February 24, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Ok I am so into scones right now it’s rediculous. I have been looking at so many scone recipes and just drooling at all the pictures. I tried this one recipe last weekend. I altered the recipe and didn’t like the alterations so I was going to make the original recipe today, but after seeing these, I think I’ve changed my mind. I will definitely be making these this weekend instead! Can’t wait to try them.

• Brenda replied on February 25th, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I hope you like these, Becca. You might also want to check out another one of my favorite scones on my site – Wild Blueberry Scones. If you don’t want to use the dried wild blueberries, you could easily use another fruit.

Realtor by day, Chef by night — February 25, 2012 at 9:48 am

I have these in the oven right now and i’ll be back to tell you what my family thinks of them. I never make scones for them so this will be totally new for them. I just wanted to let you know that part of the recipe seems to be missing. The scone part only covers the dry ingredients and adding the buttermilk and egg. Nothing is there about the vanilla or the chocolate chips. I think you left out a step or something. I just wanted to let you know so you can fix it.

• Brenda replied on February 25th, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Looks like I missed the vanilla in the preparation instructions. Thank you so much for letting me know…I’ve updated the recipe. :)

Realtor by day, Chef by night — February 25, 2012 at 10:41 am

Well…. these are fantastic! My family is in the kitchen devouring them right now. I like that they’re quick and simple but taste like you did something really complicated. Thanks for sharing this one. It’s a real winner.

• Brenda replied on February 25th, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Yay! Thanks so much for coming back to let me know!!

Mercedes — February 25, 2012 at 2:46 pm

You had me at “chocolate chip cookie-like scone”! And topped with pb glaze what could be better?

TidyMom — February 25, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I seriously need to make these!!

Thanks for linking up Brenda! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/st-patricks-day-ideas/

Have a great weekend!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 26, 2012 at 7:19 pm

These are so pretty! And that glaze! Lovely.

• Brenda replied on February 28th, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Thank you, Katrina! :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 27, 2012 at 5:24 am

Oh you better believe that I’d be wiping up all that glaze too! Can’t let that go to waste. ;-)

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — February 27, 2012 at 7:29 am

I know that it probably seems like I am stalking your blog…because I am. Your food and photos are all absolutely brilliant. Seriously. And, these scones just made my morning. Just looking at them made me happy. I cannot wait to try them.

• Brenda replied on February 28th, 2012 at 9:22 pm

It seems that you’re a really, really nice person, Natalie…so I’m kinda glad you’re hanging around. ;) Thank you for all your kind words and encouragement – I appreciate it all!

Rachel M — March 7, 2012 at 9:08 pm

This is such a great idea! I never thought about adding peanut butter flavor to scones. But believe me, my whole family…and me…would love it!

• Brenda replied on March 8th, 2012 at 10:04 pm

This is one of those recipes that flickers in and out of my mind. It’s going to make a regular appearance at our house! Nice to hear from you, Rachel – thanks!

Kayleigh — April 14, 2012 at 6:28 pm

If I make these, I too will have to go on an all day salad diet. I’m so bad for picking of pieces of really yummy things (until I have 2 or 3 completely eaten. They look super good.

• Brenda replied on April 15th, 2012 at 1:04 pm

:) Such a silly way to eat. I’d be better off just sitting down, relaxing, and enjoying a whole one in one sitting!! Oh well… Nice to hear from you, Kayleigh – hope you’re having a great weekend.

Rachel P — May 30, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I loved this recipe! My scones turned out really great.

I’d love to make them again with a different filling. I was thinking strawberry and peaches together. Would fruit work for this recipe? What quantities would you recommend of each?

Thanks!
    Rachel

Diane — December 18, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I love this recipe. I make these about once a month and take them to work as a morning snack (breakfast actually)

Thank you for a wonderful recipe.

1. Pingback: St. Patricks Day Ideas | TidyMom

2. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Scones with a Peanut Butter Glaze | cookingonthebrightside

3. Pingback: Orange and Dark Chocolate Scones with Orange Glaze

4. Pingback: Simple Ideas for Dinner — Eat Well 101

5. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Cherry Scones - Garnish with Lemon | Garnish with Lemon