Fudgy Brownie Hearts with Fresh Raspberry Buttercream

I cannot even begin to express how much I love these decadent beauties. After my first half dozen bites, with each one followed by an eye roll or a long moan or some other verbal phrase of affirmation, I heard our oldest say…”Yes, Mom, we get it. You like the brownies.”

I then proceeded to eat the rest of my Fudgy Brownie Heart with Fresh Raspberry Buttercream in delicious silence. But it surely wasn’t easy.

Fudgy brownies are truly my biggest craving when it comes to sweets. And when you throw in some berries…well, I’m a goner. Which brings me to the fresh raspberry buttercream. It’s completely insane. I’ve never tasted a frosting so bright and tangy, so full of real raspberry flavor. And the vibrant pink color is compliments of the beautiful red raspberry alone. No artificial color was added.

If you’re looking for a fun and super flavorful dessert for Valentine’s Day, give these a try. They’re visually impressive, yet comforting like only a brownie knows how to be. I’m in love. {eye roll…”mmmmmm”…”ohhhh my”}

Fudgy Brownie Hearts with Fresh Raspberry Buttercream

Yield: about 6 large (3 in. wide) or 20 small (1-1/2 in. wide) brownie heart sandwiches

for the brownies:
  • nonstick vegetable oil spray
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, diced
  • 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1-1/2 c. sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. instant espresso powder
  • 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 c. flour
  • powdered sugar, to sprinkle on the finished brownie hearts
  • for the fresh raspberry buttercream:
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 12 oz. raspberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 3-1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 1 to 2 T. milk, if needed to thin out the frosting

for the brownies:

Preheat oven to 325°.

Fold a long piece of heavy foil into a 13" wide strip and fit it inside a 9" x 13" metal baking pan, leaving foil overhang on the 2 long sides. Spray the foil with nonstick spray.

Stir the butter and chocolate in a large heavy saucepan over very low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar, and then the eggs, 1 at a time. Whisk in espresso powder, vanilla, and salt. Then sift the flour over the chocolate mixture and stir to blend well. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake brownies until slightly puffed and dry-looking and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist batter attached, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on rack.

Now prepare the fresh raspberry buttercream:

Cook the raspberries in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently until the raspberries are broken down into a sauce. Pour the sauce through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds, and then pour the raspberry sauce back in the pot. Simmer until the sauce reduces to a 1/4 cup. It will be a very rich red and concentrated sauce. Set aside to cool. With a mixer, cream the butter with a paddle attachment on medium high speed about 2 minutes, until lightened in color and a bit fluffy. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar, the 1/4 cup of cooled raspberry sauce, lemon juice, and salt. Mix until smooth. Add another 1-1/2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth. If you want the frosting less stiff, add some milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. I did not add any milk to mine, and thought it was perfect for piping. Fit a pastry bag with a medium-large round tip (I used a Wilton #12) and fill with fresh raspberry buttercream.

Run a knife around the inside edge of the brownie pan. Use the overhanging foil as an aid and gently lift the brownies from the pan. The pan I used produces a brownie that is 1/2" thick. Be sure your cookie cutter is taller than 1/2". Press heart-shaped cookie cutters (the cookie cutters used in my photos measure 3" wide and 1-1/2" wide) firmly into the cooled brownie. Use a thin metal spatula to lift the cookie cutter filled with brownie from the foil. Gently press the brownie out of the cookie cutter. Repeat the cutting process until your brownie looks like a big piece of swiss cheese. (And I hope you're eating up some of those brownie scraps!)

With the pastry bag filled with fresh raspberry buttercream, pipe a line of frosting around the inside edge of one of the brownie hearts. Then fill in the inside of the line with frosting, too. Top with another brownie heart, very gently pressing down to make a sandwich. Repeat until all your brownie hearts are completed. To finish off, sprinkle the brownie hearts with powdered sugar. I like to fill a small hand sieve with powdered sugar and gently tap the side of the sieve to let the powdered sugar rain down.

Brownies recipe was heavily adapted from one of my very favorite brownies, a recipe originally from Bon Appetit magazine, July 2009.

Fresh Raspberry Buttercream recipe very slightly adapted from Making Life Delicious.

I’m linking up with the following:

140 Responses to “Fudgy Brownie Hearts with Fresh Raspberry Buttercream”

Blog is the New Black — January 20, 2012 at 8:07 am

Looks delicious and amazing!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 11:04 am

Thank you so much – great to hear from you again!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 11:04 am

Thank you so much, great to hear from you again!

Laurie Jesch-Kulseth @ Relishing It — January 20, 2012 at 8:29 am

Those look ridiculously good, Brenda! My daughter would flip if I made them. :)

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 11:03 am

And they are, Laurie! Our girls LOVED them!

Maria — January 20, 2012 at 9:13 am

These are so pretty! Perfect for the day of love:)

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 11:02 am

Thank you, Maria! Have a great week! :)

Debbie — January 20, 2012 at 9:30 am

Chocolate and raspberry?!?!? Count me in!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 11:02 am

Will do! Thanks, Debbie!

Linda @ Lemon Drop — January 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm

these are gorgeous! cannot wait to make a batch myself.

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 11:01 am

Thank you, Linda!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — January 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Pretty and delicious! Winner!!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:59 am

Thank you so much, Katrina! Have a great week!

Paula — January 20, 2012 at 3:57 pm

If these aren’t the prettiest brownies I’ve ever seen I don’t know what is! That raspberry buttercream looks to die for too!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:57 am

Thank you, Paula – wishing an awesome week for you!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — January 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Almost to pretty to eat! Beautiful.

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:57 am

Almost. ;)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 20, 2012 at 5:24 pm

These sound so yummy! And I especially love those cute little hearts!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:56 am

Thank you Katrina. Those litte hearts are my favorite, too. :)

Joan Hayes@chocolate and more — January 20, 2012 at 7:37 pm

These are adorable, I’m in love with them, pinned!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:56 am

Thank you so much, Joan!

Becca-cookie jar treats — January 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Aww these are so cute and perfect for Valentine Day. The brownies look like there’d be good on their own too.

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:55 am

The brownies are EXCELLENT on their own. Definitely. Nice to hear from you, Becca!

Annemarie — January 21, 2012 at 5:04 pm

They look very yummy! AND very pretty!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:51 am

Thank you, Annemarie!

Anna @ hiddenponies — January 21, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Wow, these are gorgeous, and chocolate and raspberry are one of my favorite combos. What a great idea – loving your blog!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:51 am

Lovely to hear from you – thanks!!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:52 am

Thank you so much, Anna!

Aga @ a matter of taste — January 22, 2012 at 3:06 am

mmmmmmmm, I think I’ll try to bake it! Looks delicious!

Agata — January 22, 2012 at 3:56 am

Ah what a lovely smell of the valentines day! Looks perfect :)

jess white @athriftyfoodie — January 22, 2012 at 5:03 am

these looks beautiful, getting ready for valentines!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:55 am

Thank you, Jess!

Joanne — January 22, 2012 at 8:18 am

I’m fairly certain I’d be moaning up a storm also…which could be embarrassing. But I’m fairly certain that anyone who tasted these would do the same. And then they’d understand and forgive me. I really need a good dose of that frosting!

TidyMom — January 22, 2012 at 9:24 am

These are so cute and sound amazing Brenda!!

Thanks for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/16-valentine-ideas/

Have a great weekend!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:50 am

Thank you so much, Cheryl. It’s always a pleasure visiting & being featured on your site. Have a great week! xo

Sarah — January 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm

These look absolutely delicious! Yum yum

Harriet — January 22, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Mmmm they look amazing! I finish my exams on Friday so I’ll make these at the weekend! My housemates love brownies and I love making them so its brilliant!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:46 am

What an excellent way to celebrate finishing up with exams! Hope you like them!!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son — January 22, 2012 at 1:25 pm

These look seriously delicious. I love using cookie cutters on brownies, because I can snack on the leftovers as I go!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:45 am

Oh, you know it! Those brownie scraps are the best!! ;)

Claire @ Claire K Creations — January 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm

My mouth is watering just looking at these. The combination of raspberry and chocolate would be delicious. I just might have to whip up a batch for Valentine’s day myself.

marla — January 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm

OMG…your site looks amazing!! Love the updates and these brownies FABULOUS!!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:44 am

Thank you, thank you! :)

Marillyn@just-making-noise — January 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Looks SO good! I would LOVE to make this for my dad’s birthday which is on Valentine’s Day. I’m thinking strawberries instead of raspberry ;o) Thanks for posting this!

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:44 am

I went back and forth between strawberry and raspberry – I know the strawberry will be excellent, too!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 22, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Those are beautiful, and I love the little mini heart ones too. I want these for Valentine’s Day!!

Diane {Created by Diane} — January 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm

beautiful!!!

Kristen — January 22, 2012 at 5:29 pm

So not fair – I just got back in from a run and am STARVING. These would taste so good right now!

Rebecca Lopez — January 23, 2012 at 9:41 am

Just wanted to stop by and tell you I featured these today over at The Crafted Sparrow. :) They look yummy.

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:40 am

Thank you so much! :)

cheryl — January 23, 2012 at 9:47 am

Yum! LOVE the photo with the little heart shaped raspberry.

• Brenda replied on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:39 am

Thank you! We devoured these, so good!

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — January 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm

these look SO good! I wonder if I can successful adapt to be gluten-free… always in for a good challenge!

• Brenda replied on January 26th, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I’d love for you to give it a shot, Lisa! ;)

Christina H. — January 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I tried these brownies and the frosting today. They were SOO good. I couldn’t stop eating them! I think they are one of the best brownies I have ever had!

• Brenda replied on January 26th, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Wonderful, wonderful!! Thank you so much for letting me know. :)

Lorraine — January 24, 2012 at 9:59 am

Theses looks so sweet and sound delicious, especially the Raspberry Buttercream! Yum!

• Brenda replied on January 26th, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Thank you, Lorraine! :)

jo-lyn's cup cakes n' candies — January 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm

These are really cool! I love the filling! So beautiful! =)

• Brenda replied on January 26th, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Thank you!! :)

Avril — January 24, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Aaaaaamazingly yummy and so so PERFECT for Heart Day! Hooray!! :-)

• Brenda replied on January 26th, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Thank you so much, Avril!

Sweetsugarbelle — January 25, 2012 at 5:36 am

These are beautiful, Brenda!

• Brenda replied on January 26th, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Thank you so much!

Laura Nicholson — January 25, 2012 at 11:42 am

Yum! Im making these tomorrow for a friends birthday! Thanks!

• Brenda replied on January 26th, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Yay! I hope you like them! :)

Osvald — January 25, 2012 at 11:58 am

Looks delicious. Thinking about baking them for my birthday tomorrow…
    Question; If I make them tonight and fill them with Raspberry buttercream, will they be to wet or moist tomorrow ?

regards
    Osvald (Denmark)

• Brenda replied on January 26th, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Hello Osvald! They will be just fine to make the day before. But I wouldn’t make them any sooner than that. Hope you like them!

Mansi — January 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm

These look fabulous! they look great and I’m sure they taste awesome too:)

• Brenda replied on January 29th, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Thank you so much. We’ll definitely be making these again!

Amber — January 29, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Does this buttercream require refridgeration after it is made or will it stay good if it sits out? I guess my worry is whether or not the fruit will spoil?

• Brenda replied on January 29th, 2012 at 7:03 pm

My batch didn’t last more than a day around here. If you think you’ll have yours around for longer than that, I would definitely refrigerate them. Thanks, Amber!

Brenda — January 29, 2012 at 9:56 pm

These look awesome! Your photos are great also.

• Brenda replied on January 30th, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Thank you! :)

Sarah Beth — January 29, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Wow!! I just found my heart cookie cutter today in the back of my cooking tools drawer. I am so going to use it to make these yummy looking treats.

• Brenda replied on January 30th, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Yay! Please let me know what you think!

Ro Little — January 30, 2012 at 2:10 pm

This is absolutely ADORABLE!! I’m putting together a section of recipes for LOVE month on my site … http://www.wikimommy.com … and I would love to feature this!! Please email me ro (at) wikimommy (dot) com and let me know if I may re-post this on my site. Thanks for sharing!!

• Brenda replied on January 30th, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Thanks, Ro!

Nicole — February 4, 2012 at 10:53 am

I tried making this about a week ago but the buttercream ended up so runny! I followed the recipe correctly, I don’t understand why this happened! I would love to try again though, such a yummy idea!!

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I’m sorry to hear that, Nicole. I thought it was just the perfect consistency – nice and light and whippy. Did you reduce the raspberry to just 1/4 cup, so it was rather thickened and super concentrated? I don’t know what else to tell you, other than to just make sure the correct quantities are used next time. Best wishes!!

• Nicole replied on February 6th, 2012 at 1:41 pm

OH MY GOSH I completely forgot a whole paragraph of instructions! I missed the entire section on making the raspberry sauce. That’s a great excuse for me to try again! :)

• Brenda replied on February 6th, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Whew, I’m glad to hear there’s a good explanation for it!! Best wishes! :)

Marinica — February 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Hello!! These look amazing and I have 2 questions.. :)

Can I use cherry instead of raspberry and is the buttercream very sweet considering the amount of shugar?

Thank you!!

• Brenda replied on February 11th, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Hello! Although I have not made this with cherries, I would surely not be afraid to try it…sounds delicious! Just be sure to cook it down until it’s syrupy and just 1/4 cup. The buttercream is quite sweet, with a very bright fruity tanginess. Best wishes!

Amanda — February 10, 2012 at 12:40 am

Came across these on Pinterest, and thought they looked amazing! So I picked up the things I needed at the store today and gave it a shot. Ohmydang they are to die for! They disappeared in minutes! Thank you for this amazing recipe!

• Brenda replied on February 11th, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Yaaaaaayyyyy! Thank you so much for letting me know. So happy you liked them!! :)

The Culinary Chase — February 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Wow! These look delicious! I will definitely make these. Cheers!

• Brenda replied on February 13th, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Thanks, Heather! I know a couple friends who were making this today, to surprise their family with tomorrow on Valentine’s Day. What a treat!

Laura — February 14, 2012 at 7:59 am

Hi I tried this recipe today because it looked so good and I loved it for Valentine but it didnt work with me :-( I left the brownies about 20 Min. in the oven even little bit more but when I tried to cut them they were sticking on the foil and the batter was not baked still raw. What happend? also when I tried cutting them with the cookie cutter the crust broke and it looked ugly. ‘Please help me !!!

• Brenda replied on February 14th, 2012 at 11:23 am

I’m sorry to hear you had troubles, Laura. I’ve made these a couple times, plus I’ve heard from friends who have made them, and I’ve seen other bloggers make and feature this recipe on their own sites – you’re the first I’ve heard that the brownies didn’t work. I would double-check your ingredients and quantities. Did you spray your foil? Did you use unsweetened chocolate, per the recipe? I did try making these with sweetened chocolate in my trial baking and they did not cut as cleanly. But even with the unsweetened chocolate, they are not going to cut 100% perfectly. There will be a little bit of breakage, but it’s pretty minimal. That’s what the powdered sugar sprinkle is for, to make them look all pretty AND to hide any of that cutting imperfection! Best wishes with your next batch, please let me know how it goes.

Caitlin — February 14, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Love this! I’m the process of making a batch myself for my sweetheart :) a few tweaks…and peanutbutter buttercream in place of the raspberry – he’s going to love it ! Thanks for posting !

• Brenda replied on February 15th, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Wonderful to hear that, Caitlin! Hope you liked them!

Megan — March 31, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Just a question: you called for 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, but in the instructions you only say to mix in 2 1/2 cups. Typo?

• Brenda replied on March 31st, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Hi Megan – this is what the recipe says: “Add 2 cups of powdered sugar, the 1/4 cup of cooled raspberry sauce, lemon juice, and salt. Mix until smooth. Add another 1-1/2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.” It’s all there! :)

Barb — February 10, 2013 at 10:55 am

I just made a double batch of these treats and they are absolutely fabulous! I used a high quality chocolate and found the perfect cookie cutter (thanks for mentioning the height–that saved me). These will be a Valentine tradition in my family.

Michelle P. — February 10, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I just found your blog tonight after finding you on Google + in the food bloggers group I’m in. I am already pinning away! These look AMAZING! I think I’d be right there with you saying mmm with these. I’m going to make these soon, converting to gluten-free. Thanks for sharing!

• Brenda replied on February 26th, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Thanks, Michelle! So nice to meet you! :)

Ashley — February 12, 2013 at 6:22 pm

These look amazing! I have heard that espresso powder really enhances the chocolate flavor, but I wasn’t able to find it locally. Will they still be chocolatey if I leave it out? Thanks!

• Brenda replied on February 13th, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Hi Ashley! Yes, they will still be chocolatey. The espresso just deepens the flavor. I am adding it to more and more of my chocolate baked goods all the time!

Sara — February 14, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Hi, these look wonderful! Do the raspberries need to be thawed prior to using?

• Brenda replied on February 26th, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Thank you, Sara! No need to thaw the raspberries.

Krupa — September 12, 2013 at 8:34 am

What if i dont have fresh or frozenstrawberry or raspberry.?can i use strawberry syrup or crush.?

Shizza — February 11, 2014 at 5:55 pm

I made these yesterday and they came out amazing! I have been eating them non-stop ever since. I was especially nervous about the raspberry buttercream, but it came out surprisingly well too! Your recipe is amazing. Thank you so much for posting it! I’ll definitely be making these again. :)

• Brenda replied on February 12th, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Wonderful!! Thank you so much for coming back to let me know!

irem gungor — February 13, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hello;
    I’m from Turkey and I have a website about food recipes. A few days ago I was searching for a valentines day recipe and found your web site from google search. I saw the Fudgy Brownie Hearts with Raspberry Butter Cream recipe. I baked it and put both on my website and instagram. Thanks for the recipe. They taste as great as they look.
    With love from Turkey,
    Irem Gungor

1. Pingback: 16 Handmade Valentines Ideas | TidyMom

2. Pingback: Sweet Tooth Favorites Valentine’s Day Edition

3. Pingback: Valentine's Treats

4. Pingback: 6 Dangerously Delicious Valentine’s Desserts « StudioX3

5. Pingback: Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Buttercream | culinaryadventuresinthekitchen

6. Pingback: Wednesday Round-up: Love Feast | la vie Urbane

7. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Inspiration: Pinterest Finds « Meg's Everyday Indulgence

8. Pingback: 10 Cutest Baked Treats for Valentine’s Day | Yummly

9. Pingback: Valentine’s Day: Sweets | she cooks, he eats

10. Pingback: Fudgy Brownie Hearts w/Fresh Raspberry Buttercream — Two Girls Cooking

11. Pingback: Valentine's Heart Desserts | The TomKat Studio

12. Pingback: Day 12: Heart-shaped Brownies with Raspberry Buttercream « The Picky Nibbler

13. Pingback: Raspberry Shortbread Hearts & Raspberry Cream Cheese Marshmallow Dip

14. Pingback: Be My Valentine | Save the Date for Cupcakes

15. Pingback: Let’s put our hearts together « EmmaEats

16. Pingback: Fudgy Brownie Hearts « Crazy Blessed

17. Pingback: Junior High Themed Valentine Dance: The Food | You Frill Me

18. Pingback: Fudgy Mini Brownie Fruit Pies with Almond Cream Cheese

19. Pingback: Mouth Watering Monday: 25 Valentine Treat and Gift Ideas | My Blog

20. Pingback: Food List Fridays! | marijke welch

21. Pingback: Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Buttercream | Culinary Adventures in the Kitchen

22. Pingback: Eggless and Gluten-free Brownies with Strawberry Cream « Make Your Cake and Eat it Too

23. Pingback: Brownie Hearts Recipe - SheSaved®

24. Pingback: Hello Kitty Pictures Blog

25. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Week: Inspiration Board and Giveaway | Party on Purpose

26. Pingback: 25 Valentine Treats with Hearts | Recipes and Tutorials

27. Pingback: 40 Valentine’s Day Treats Top Pinterest Recipes | The Daily Dish Recipes

28. Pingback: Chocolate Hazelnut Brownie Hearts | SugarBitz n Milkybar

29. Pingback: Fudgy Spring Brownie Bites with Fresh Raspberry Buttercream

30. Pingback: 10 Delicious Valentine's Day Recipes

31. Pingback: 18 Sweet Valentine’s Day Recipes | Style Motivation

32. Pingback: 17 Quick & Easy Valentine's Day Treats That Look Great | G is for GiftG is for Gift

33. Pingback: Recipe Of The Month - Valentines Special