Fudgy Brownie Hearts with Fresh Raspberry Buttercream

I cannot even begin to express how much I love these decadent beauties. After my first half dozen bites, with each one followed by an eye roll or a long moan or some other verbal phrase of affirmation, I heard our oldest say…”Yes, Mom, we get it. You like the brownies.”

I then proceeded to eat the rest of my Fudgy Brownie Heart with Fresh Raspberry Buttercream in delicious silence. But it surely wasn’t easy.

Fudgy brownies are truly my biggest craving when it comes to sweets. And when you throw in some berries…well, I’m a goner. Which brings me to the fresh raspberry buttercream. It’s completely insane. I’ve never tasted a frosting so bright and tangy, so full of real raspberry flavor. And the vibrant pink color is compliments of the beautiful red raspberry alone. No artificial color was added.

If you’re looking for a fun and super flavorful dessert for Valentine’s Day, give these a try. They’re visually impressive, yet comforting like only a brownie knows how to be. I’m in love. {eye roll…”mmmmmm”…”ohhhh my”}

Fudgy Brownie Hearts with Fresh Raspberry Buttercream

Yield: about 6 large (3 in. wide) or 20 small (1-1/2 in. wide) brownie heart sandwiches

for the brownies:
  • nonstick vegetable oil spray
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, diced
  • 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1-1/2 c. sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. instant espresso powder
  • 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 c. flour
  • powdered sugar, to sprinkle on the finished brownie hearts
  • for the fresh raspberry buttercream:
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 12 oz. raspberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 3-1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 1 to 2 T. milk, if needed to thin out the frosting

for the brownies:

Preheat oven to 325°.

Fold a long piece of heavy foil into a 13" wide strip and fit it inside a 9" x 13" metal baking pan, leaving foil overhang on the 2 long sides. Spray the foil with nonstick spray.

Stir the butter and chocolate in a large heavy saucepan over very low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar, and then the eggs, 1 at a time. Whisk in espresso powder, vanilla, and salt. Then sift the flour over the chocolate mixture and stir to blend well. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake brownies until slightly puffed and dry-looking and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist batter attached, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on rack.

Now prepare the fresh raspberry buttercream:

Cook the raspberries in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently until the raspberries are broken down into a sauce. Pour the sauce through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds, and then pour the raspberry sauce back in the pot. Simmer until the sauce reduces to a 1/4 cup. It will be a very rich red and concentrated sauce. Set aside to cool. With a mixer, cream the butter with a paddle attachment on medium high speed about 2 minutes, until lightened in color and a bit fluffy. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar, the 1/4 cup of cooled raspberry sauce, lemon juice, and salt. Mix until smooth. Add another 1-1/2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth. If you want the frosting less stiff, add some milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. I did not add any milk to mine, and thought it was perfect for piping. Fit a pastry bag with a medium-large round tip (I used a Wilton #12) and fill with fresh raspberry buttercream.

Run a knife around the inside edge of the brownie pan. Use the overhanging foil as an aid and gently lift the brownies from the pan. The pan I used produces a brownie that is 1/2" thick. Be sure your cookie cutter is taller than 1/2". Press heart-shaped cookie cutters (the cookie cutters used in my photos measure 3" wide and 1-1/2" wide) firmly into the cooled brownie. Use a thin metal spatula to lift the cookie cutter filled with brownie from the foil. Gently press the brownie out of the cookie cutter. Repeat the cutting process until your brownie looks like a big piece of swiss cheese. (And I hope you're eating up some of those brownie scraps!)

With the pastry bag filled with fresh raspberry buttercream, pipe a line of frosting around the inside edge of one of the brownie hearts. Then fill in the inside of the line with frosting, too. Top with another brownie heart, very gently pressing down to make a sandwich. Repeat until all your brownie hearts are completed. To finish off, sprinkle the brownie hearts with powdered sugar. I like to fill a small hand sieve with powdered sugar and gently tap the side of the sieve to let the powdered sugar rain down.

Brownies recipe was heavily adapted from one of my very favorite brownies, a recipe originally from Bon Appetit magazine, July 2009.

Fresh Raspberry Buttercream recipe very slightly adapted from Making Life Delicious.

I’m linking up with the following:

140 Responses to “Fudgy Brownie Hearts with Fresh Raspberry Buttercream”

Michelle P. — February 10, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I just found your blog tonight after finding you on Google + in the food bloggers group I’m in. I am already pinning away! These look AMAZING! I think I’d be right there with you saying mmm with these. I’m going to make these soon, converting to gluten-free. Thanks for sharing!

• Brenda replied on February 26th, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Thanks, Michelle! So nice to meet you! :)

Ashley — February 12, 2013 at 6:22 pm

These look amazing! I have heard that espresso powder really enhances the chocolate flavor, but I wasn’t able to find it locally. Will they still be chocolatey if I leave it out? Thanks!

• Brenda replied on February 13th, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Hi Ashley! Yes, they will still be chocolatey. The espresso just deepens the flavor. I am adding it to more and more of my chocolate baked goods all the time!

Sara — February 14, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Hi, these look wonderful! Do the raspberries need to be thawed prior to using?

• Brenda replied on February 26th, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Thank you, Sara! No need to thaw the raspberries.

Krupa — September 12, 2013 at 8:34 am

What if i dont have fresh or frozenstrawberry or raspberry.?can i use strawberry syrup or crush.?

Shizza — February 11, 2014 at 5:55 pm

I made these yesterday and they came out amazing! I have been eating them non-stop ever since. I was especially nervous about the raspberry buttercream, but it came out surprisingly well too! Your recipe is amazing. Thank you so much for posting it! I’ll definitely be making these again. :)

• Brenda replied on February 12th, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Wonderful!! Thank you so much for coming back to let me know!

irem gungor — February 13, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hello;
    I’m from Turkey and I have a website about food recipes. A few days ago I was searching for a valentines day recipe and found your web site from google search. I saw the Fudgy Brownie Hearts with Raspberry Butter Cream recipe. I baked it and put both on my website and instagram. Thanks for the recipe. They taste as great as they look.
    With love from Turkey,
    Irem Gungor

1. Pingback: 16 Handmade Valentines Ideas | TidyMom

2. Pingback: Sweet Tooth Favorites Valentine’s Day Edition

3. Pingback: Valentine's Treats

4. Pingback: 6 Dangerously Delicious Valentine’s Desserts « StudioX3

5. Pingback: Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Buttercream | culinaryadventuresinthekitchen

6. Pingback: Wednesday Round-up: Love Feast | la vie Urbane

7. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Inspiration: Pinterest Finds « Meg's Everyday Indulgence

8. Pingback: 10 Cutest Baked Treats for Valentine’s Day | Yummly

9. Pingback: Valentine’s Day: Sweets | she cooks, he eats

10. Pingback: Fudgy Brownie Hearts w/Fresh Raspberry Buttercream — Two Girls Cooking

11. Pingback: Valentine's Heart Desserts | The TomKat Studio

12. Pingback: Day 12: Heart-shaped Brownies with Raspberry Buttercream « The Picky Nibbler

13. Pingback: Raspberry Shortbread Hearts & Raspberry Cream Cheese Marshmallow Dip

14. Pingback: Be My Valentine | Save the Date for Cupcakes

15. Pingback: Let’s put our hearts together « EmmaEats

16. Pingback: Fudgy Brownie Hearts « Crazy Blessed

17. Pingback: Junior High Themed Valentine Dance: The Food | You Frill Me

18. Pingback: Fudgy Mini Brownie Fruit Pies with Almond Cream Cheese

19. Pingback: Mouth Watering Monday: 25 Valentine Treat and Gift Ideas | My Blog

20. Pingback: Food List Fridays! | marijke welch

21. Pingback: Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Buttercream | Culinary Adventures in the Kitchen

22. Pingback: Eggless and Gluten-free Brownies with Strawberry Cream « Make Your Cake and Eat it Too

23. Pingback: Brownie Hearts Recipe - SheSaved®

24. Pingback: Hello Kitty Pictures Blog

25. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Week: Inspiration Board and Giveaway | Party on Purpose

26. Pingback: 25 Valentine Treats with Hearts | Recipes and Tutorials

27. Pingback: 40 Valentine’s Day Treats Top Pinterest Recipes | The Daily Dish Recipes

28. Pingback: Chocolate Hazelnut Brownie Hearts | SugarBitz n Milkybar

29. Pingback: Fudgy Spring Brownie Bites with Fresh Raspberry Buttercream

30. Pingback: 10 Delicious Valentine's Day Recipes

31. Pingback: 18 Sweet Valentine’s Day Recipes | Style Motivation

32. Pingback: 17 Quick & Easy Valentine's Day Treats That Look Great | G is for GiftG is for Gift

33. Pingback: Recipe Of The Month - Valentines Special