Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake for Two
These Gooey Chocolate Mug Cakes are ready in less than 15 minutes! Unlike most mug cake recipes, this one makes enough for two people. Get ready to dig into two crazy delicious servings of warm chocolate cake.
Easy Chocolate Mug Cakes for Two
We’ve all had those late night cravings for warm chocolate cake. Haven’t we?!
Please tell me I’m not alone…
This gooey chocolate mug cake recipe is so easy, you won’t believe it works until you try it. From start to finish, you’ll have two servings of warm chocolate cake >>> in less than 15 minutes!
What is a Mug Cake?
For the most part, when someone talks about a mug cake recipe, it’s going to mean that it’s made in the microwave. This type of recipe is meant to be a quick, easy, and smaller version of a more typical (larger) chocolate cake.
These Can Be Made With or Without Eggs
I shared this mug cake recipe here many years ago on the blog. And while it’s always been a very popular recipe, it has had mixed reviews. I would say, a 50/50 split with people either really liking it or people really not enthused about it. And the #1 complaint I heard? People didn’t like the spongy texture, a result of baking this dessert for two using eggs.
So the girls and I experimented with many different versions of this recipe, eliminating the eggs. We wanted a cake that was dense and moist and richly chocolatey.
And we made it happen!
In this updated mug cake recipe, you will find no egg.
But! If you have already fallen in love with the previous recipe I shared (with eggs), just look below the recipe card in this post – you’ll find the original recipe there!
How to Make Chocolate Mug Cakes in the Microwave
For these cake cups, simply stir a few common baking ingredients together in a small bowl. Then divide the batter between two cups or small-ish sized mugs and microwave for two minutes.
Be sure to read the recipe card below for ingredient amounts!
- Combine dry ingredients: In a small bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add wet ingredients: Mix in the milk, butter and vanilla. Stir well to make sure everything is well combined.
- Add chocolate chips. Stir them into the batter.
- Divide batter between two mugs. Make sure the mugs are microwave safe!
- Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Let cool, then dig in! Give the cakes 10 minutes to cool before eating. The chocolate will still be gooey but it won’t be so hot that it burns your mouth.
That’s it. Two minutes, and they’re done. The best darn microwave cake you ever did taste!
I like to serve this cake in a cup with fresh raspberries or strawberries. This is especially pretty for a little Valentine’s Day celebration.
A dollop of freshly whipped cream or a small scoop of ice cream would also be great. My parents taught me how to eat warm chocolate cake with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream – it’s pretty wonderful!
While I recommend to let the microwave mug cake cool for ten minutes before eating, I have to admit that I nearly always dig right it.
Yes, it’s hot. But I just can’t resist.
With just one spoonful, you’ll know exactly why my family loves this gooey chocolate mug cake. It’s beautifully moist and gooey, incredibly chocolatey…and pretty darn perfect when you’re already in your pajamas for the evening and that craving for chocolate cake won’t let you go.
Like this recipe? Save it to Pinterest!
* For those of you who have relied on the original recipe that I shared here many years ago (with eggs), scroll down below the new recipe card. You’ll still find the original recipe there!
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add milk, butter, and vanilla. Stir well to incorporate.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the mini chocolate chips. Then divide batter between 2 microwave-safe cups (my cup holds 6 fluid ounces). Sprinkle the top of each cup of batter with an additional 1 teaspoon of mini chocolate chips.
- Microwave both cups at the same time on high power for 2 minutes. Microwave strength varies, so adjust accordingly. The cakes should be cooked, but very moist, and a bit gooey in the middle. If you like your cake extra soft and gooey, cook for a bit less time. Allow cakes to cool for about 10 minutes prior to eating.
These are best when eaten within an hour or two of making them. As they cool, the chocolate chips will harden, so the cakes will be less gooey. But they're still very good. ;)
from a farmgirl's dabbles
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 512Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 3gSugar: 37gProtein: 5g
ORIGINAL RECIPE (with eggs): Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake for Two
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. cocoa powder
- big pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1/4 c. butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- heaping 1/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus a few more for sprinkling on top
In a small mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
Add milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Stir well to incorporate.
Fold in chocolate chips. Divide batter between 2 microwave-safe cups (my cup holds 6 fluid ounces) and then sprinkle the tops with a few more chocolate chips.
Microwave both cups at the same time on high for 2 minutes. The cake will rise up above the cup rim, and then settle back down as it cools. Microwave strength varies, so adjust accordingly. The cakes should be cooked, but very moist, and a bit gooey in the middle.
Allow cakes to cool for about 15 minutes prior to eating. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
These are best when eaten within a few hours of cooking them. As they cool, the chocolate chips will harden, so the cakes will be less gooey. But they’re still very, very good. ;)
More Chocolate Desserts to Try
For more chocolate recipe inspiration, be sure to also check out my:
- S’mores Pie – a HUGE family favorite!
- Chocolate Mint Brownies – I’ve been enjoying these since I was a kid.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies from The Vanilla Bean Baking Book – OMG. These are the most awesome chocolate chip cookies I’ve EVER had!
- Heart Shaped Brownies with Fresh Raspberry Buttercream – Our girls LOVE these!!!
This post was previously published in 2013. The recipe, some of the photographs, and some of the text were updated in 2019.