Chocolate Marshmallow Bunnies

If I could have only one kind of treat in my Easter basket, it would be chocolate marshmallow bunnies. Keep all the fruity jelly beans, too sweet Cadbury eggs, Peeps, and speckled malted Robin Eggs to yourself. Just fill my blue plastic basket that I’ve had for almost forty years with these, pretty please:

For the past few years, I’ve had to set out on a mission to find these in the stores. Not everyone carries them anymore, I’m sad to report. I’ve learned to start searching early and buy up what I can as soon as they are found. Just a tiny little obsession of mine.

When I made my last batch of homemade marshmallows, I had a lightbulb moment. Why not try my hand at cutting this marvelous fluff into bunny shapes and dip them in chocolate to create my very own Chocolate Marshmallow Bunnies?

I had in my mind the perfect bunny, but couldn’t find a cookie cutter that fit the image. I found bunny cookie cutters in all shapes and sizes at many stores, but they were all just too big for my grand plan. Finally, I sat down at my computer to search. And Amazon had just what I was looking for: a small bunny, face only. Even though I had to purchase a whole set of cookie cutters, this was exactly what I wanted. “Sold!” to the lady with the stash of chocolate marshmallow bunnies in her pantry!

The day I made these bunnies, everything went pretty much according to plan. Until I started piping on those whiskers. Yikes! The lines kept spreading, making Mr. Bunny look like he got socked in the mouth with a banana cream pie. It just wouldn’t do. I wish I had a picture of those poor bunnies to share with you now, but I was popping the rejects into my mouth as soon as they were foiled. Some might think that was planned.

I tried to convince my husband that a whisker-less bunny was fine. Only two adoring blue eyes and a sweet pink nose. It was kinda contemporary looking. You know, hip. But Blake wasn’t buying it. He’s always the one to vote for the simplest route, but he saw the value of the whiskers.

With a hiccup in my afternoon of bunny making, I was forced to make a run for a smaller decorating tip. So much for completing my bunny herd (did you know that’s the correct term for a group of rabbits?) before Tessa’s naptime was over. But, thankfully, it was worth the extra effort.

And now you know the story of the crazy chocolate marshmallow bunny lady.

I also want to share with you the bunnies our daughters created. The past few times I’ve decorated using pastry bags, I’ve handed the bags over to Hatti & Tessa so they could practice and have some fun. Now it’s just an expected thing for them. They stand close by and wait for me to be done with my decorating, so they can get to theirs.

Here’s Hatti’s. Notice her great addition of bunny ears and teeth.

And Tessa’s. She worked so happily and diligently, and was mighty proud of her work.

Chocolate Marshmallow Bunnies
(print recipe)
for the marshmallows:
powdered sugar, for coating pan
2/3 c. water, divided
3 (1/4 oz.) envelopes unflavored gelatin  (found by the Jell-O at the grocery store)
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
pinch of kosher salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Lightly spray the inside of an 9″x13″ pan with cooking spray.  Generously coat with powdered sugar and set aside.

Pour 1/3 cup of the water into the bowl of a stand mixer.  Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and stir briefly to incorporate.  Let stand for about 10 minutes, or until the gelatin has softened.

In a saucepan, off the heat, combine the remaining 1/3 cup of water and the granulated sugar, corn syrup, and salt.  Place the pan over medium-high heat.  Clip a candy thermometer on the inside of the pan, making sure it doesn’t touch the bottom.  Cook the mixture without stirring until it reaches 240°.  Brush down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush, dipped in water, to gently wipe away any sugar crystals.

With your mixer on low speed, very carefully add the hot syrup to the softened gelatin.  Add the vanilla and increase the speed to medium-high.  The mixture will start out clear, but quickly turns very white.  Beat for about 8 minutes, or until the marshmallow gets very thick and sticky, and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl, in string-like pieces. This will really give your mixer a workout. (Just ask my aunt, Patsy!)

Spread the mixture into the prepared pan using a lightly oiled spatula.  With wet hands, press the batter evenly into the corners of the pan.  Just keep rewetting your hands to help with the stickiness.  Set aside for at least 1 hour, or until the mixture is firm and cool.

Run a wet knife around the edge of the cooled pan to loosen the marshmallow.  Remove the marshmallow from the pan, onto a sheet of parchment paper.

Dip your bunny cookie cutter (mine is from this Easter set) into a shallow bowl of water and then cut the marshmallow into bunny shapes.  This is a sticky job, but just have patience.  It’s worth it!  It helps to dip the cutter into the water after each cut.

Yield:  about 50 small marshmallow bunnies

Source:  adapted from jam it, pickle it, cure it by Karen Solomon (I love, love, love this book!)

for the chocolate coating:

16 oz. (about 2-1/2 c.) good quality semisweet chocolate chips, finely chopped (I really like Guittard.)
3 T. shortening

In a small, but somewhat deep, microwave-safe bowl, melt about 14 ounces of the chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring after each increment. Be very careful to not get the chocolate too hot. When the chocolate is almost all melted, stir by hand until it is completely smooth. Then add the remaining 2 ounces of chopped chocolate and stir again until completely smooth. This will help to cool down the chocolate. Stir in the shortening until completely incorporated. This will help to thin out the chocolate.

Place a marshmallow bunny on the tongs of a fork and dip the bunny into the melted chocolate. If needed, use a second fork to help guide the marshmallow in and out of the chocolate. Allow excess chocolate to drip off, while lightly tapping the underside of your fork against the rim of your chocolate filled bowl.

Then slide the fork out of the bowl, scraping the underside of the tongs along the bowl’s rim. This will scrape off any remaining excess chocolate, so you don’t have a pool of chocolate form around your bunny as it cools.

Set the chocolate covered bunny on wax paper to cool and completely set up on your kitchen counter. After about an hour, they should be dry to the touch and ready to decorate.

for the glaze icing for Mr. Bunny’s eyes, nose, and whiskers:

Please visit my very talented friend, Amanda, from i am baker for her glaze icing recipe and tutorial. She’s just so great at using this stuff, and really is your best teacher! Be sure to check out all her awesome decorated cookies and cakes while you’re over there!

I do have a few things to add, though, specific to these marshmallow bunnies…

• I used 1 tablespoon of milk, as little as possible. I wanted the glaze icing to be stiff and not spread all over Mr. Bunny’s face.
  • I did not add any lemon or other flavoring to my glaze icing.

• I used Americolor soft gel paste food color to tint the glaze icing, specifically #164 Electric Pink and #160 Electric Blue. The whiskers are not tinted at all.

• For the eyes and nose, I used a Wilton #3 round tip.
  • For the whiskers, I used a Wilton #2 round tip.

Wanna guess how many chocolate marshmallow bunnies I’ve eaten?!
(Truthfully…I lost count!)

I’m linking up with the following:

Cheryl at TidyMom for “I’m Lovin’ It”
Allison at Alli ‘n Son for “Sweet Tooth Friday”
Kim at Quit Eating Out for “Saturday Swap”
Robyn at Add a Pinch for “Mingle Monday”
Rachel at A Southern Fairytale for “Mouthwatering Monday”

75 Responses to “Chocolate Marshmallow Bunnies”

Alyssa — April 7, 2011 at 9:30 pm

This is such a cool idea! And now I have the irresistible urge to go eat marshmallows!

Erin @ Making Memories — April 7, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Oh my gosh! I’m right there with you! The chocolate covered bunnies and eggs are my all time fav! Yours look amazing!!!

Sue — April 7, 2011 at 10:32 pm

They are perfect and darling! Much better than store-bought! Your girls did a great job too.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks — April 8, 2011 at 5:09 am

These are so cute. Your photos are just gorgeous! I think that your version is probably better than the store marshmallows anyway :) I love them!

• farmgirl replied on April 11th, 2011 at 7:31 am

Thank you so much, Katie! And, yes, they are definitely better than the store version. The marshmallow is fresh and fluffy, with the perfect amount of luscious chocolate coating.

These are AMAZING! Seriously, you’ve blown me away once again. This would be the funnest project with my kiddos. And what a great gift they would be to share for Easter with friends/neighbors/family. Have a great weekend Friend!!!

Paula — April 8, 2011 at 6:11 am

I love chocolate covered marshmallow bunnies and you’re right, they are getting harder to find in stores. Thanks to you…we don’t need to worry about that! These are adorable (love the girl’s decorating too…such fun!)

Jamie — April 8, 2011 at 6:29 am

These are simply perfect and fabulous! Chocolate-covered marshmallow bunnies (and Santas) are my favorites and making them yourself is brilliant. They really are fantastic!

Rosie @ Sweetapolita — April 8, 2011 at 6:34 am

Wow, I just love these so much, and I love that they’re homemade from start to finish. My and my cakelets will most definitely be making these this Easter–I can already envision the giggles and mess! Great job and beautiful photos!

• farmgirl replied on April 11th, 2011 at 7:32 am

Thank you, Rosie! I would love to see your version!

Mom. — April 8, 2011 at 6:45 am

Wow Brenda! These are just about too cute to eat. Nah, I guess not, you know I can’t pass up marshmallow and chocolate either. Please pop a few of these in your freezer for your Dad and I to savor. :)

• farmgirl replied on April 11th, 2011 at 7:32 am

Ohhhhh, Mom…you have no idea how fun these were to make and to eat! You would LOVE these!!!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — April 8, 2011 at 7:45 am

This is perfect!!! I love love love it! I have some small cutters – marshmallows are so cute! ♥- K

MyKidsMake — April 8, 2011 at 8:42 am

oh my gosh. these are cute!!! i was going to try to make these this weekend with my kids and then stumbled upon your blog!! fantastic!!!! hope ours turn out as well as yours!!!

• farmgirl replied on April 11th, 2011 at 7:33 am

I would love to see how yours turn out!!

michelle — April 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm

wow they look awesome, great job!!

Patsy — April 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm

These bunnies really turned out cute! The marshmallow recipe was quite a tussle for my old mixer, but the result was worth it!

• farmgirl replied on April 11th, 2011 at 7:34 am

If you noticed, Patsy, I referenced you in the recipe. :) I definitely thought of you when the mixer was on full throttle!

Robyn | Add a Pinch — April 8, 2011 at 4:58 pm

These are precious! Now I want a basket filled with them, too!

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — April 8, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Oh how fun! They’re so cute!!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — April 8, 2011 at 6:20 pm

These are adorable! I think your husband is right the whiskers are a nice touch. I would love it if the Easter bunny brought me a basket of these.

• farmgirl replied on April 11th, 2011 at 7:35 am

Yes, the whiskers were worth it. So glad I went thru the hassle to do it “right”! Thanks, Sylvie!

TidyMom — April 8, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Seriously AMAZING Brenda!!! just way too cute!!

lynn — April 8, 2011 at 7:04 pm

These are so adorable! Somehow I have the feeling that if I tried making them, they wouldn’t quite turn out this pretty ;) You are talented, my dear!

Shaina — April 8, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I’m so smitten with these bunnies, Brenda. Absolutely gorgeous remake of a classic.

Nancy @SensitivePantry — April 9, 2011 at 5:45 am

Brenda – love chocolate marshmallow bunnies but I never thought of making them. These are adorable!!

Kathy - Panini Happy — April 9, 2011 at 8:13 am

These are sooo cute and creative. And homemade all the way – I love it!

TidyMom — April 9, 2011 at 8:50 am

Thanks for linking up to I’m Lovin’ It Brenda!! I featured your post in my wrap up! http://tidymom.net/2011/easter-treats/ Happy Saturday!

• farmgirl replied on April 11th, 2011 at 7:35 am

I’m honored. Thank you so much, Cheryl!

Katy Lunsford — April 9, 2011 at 4:18 pm

You are awesome – the bunnies are too cute.

Katie's Something Sweet — April 9, 2011 at 4:44 pm

wow! super cute! I love them so much.
    Thank you!

bridget {bake at 350} — April 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Oh, I LOVE these….they are perfect!

Sara — April 9, 2011 at 9:29 pm

These are ADORABLE! I showed them to the girls at work and they were simply impressed that I know someone that is soooo creative!

• farmgirl replied on April 11th, 2011 at 7:29 am

I love that I know YOU, Sara! Miss you!

44lalley — April 10, 2011 at 8:55 am

wow! so cute, and so impressed with how smooth you got your sheet of marshmallows — I always have a huge fight with homemade marshmallows. very much want to make these.

• farmgirl replied on April 11th, 2011 at 7:28 am

I have made this marshmallow recipe many times – it always works great. Do give it a try!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — April 10, 2011 at 5:37 pm

WOW! So much better than the packaged version and absolutely adorable!

Sara — April 10, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Oh my gosh! They are gorgeous. I want a whole afternoon to myself to make these!

Angela @ angelaskitchen.com — April 11, 2011 at 8:02 am

You, sweetie-pie, are a-MAY-zing! We love making homemade marshmallows in the winter for hot chocolate (it tastes better with a marshmallow snowflake or teddy bear, don’t cha know). This is just what I need (adapted dairy free of course) for my kiddos for spring-time Easter fun! Thank you, thank you. Super cute and fun!

• farmgirl replied on April 12th, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Your comment got a big smile from me!! You sound just like Kate. :) Great to hear from you! Have fun making these with your kids – Happy Easter!

Tracy — April 11, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Oh my goodness! These are the cutest and I LOVE that you made them from scratch! Bookmarking this!

Tickled Red — April 11, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Those are just too cute! I love her artistic flair :) I can’t wait to try these out with the boys.

Marie Porter — April 12, 2011 at 7:41 am

Ooh, these look good! I’ve been meaning to figure out an Easter treat that my mother used to make – more in line with cream eggs, but not quite. I think you’ve inspired me to put the effort in!

Harriet — April 12, 2011 at 2:53 pm

These are SO CUTE! I love the ones your daughters decorated, they’re so sweet! I don’t even like marshmallows but I’d make these just for the cute little bunnies!

Rachel — April 12, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Adorable but I think it’s already too humid here to make marshmallows.

Kate — April 13, 2011 at 7:42 am

Got any left? :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — April 13, 2011 at 11:40 am

Oh my goodness! I am a bit late to the game here, but I am just LOVING these! So adorable.

Kristen — April 13, 2011 at 1:52 pm

How totally adorable – and your girls did a cute job too! Love these.

lisa p — April 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm

OMG you must be reading my mind. I was just going to make these (maybe just squares though) tonight. I am always in need of a chocolate snack, but am on a diet. Dark chocolate covered peeps have been my “go to” snack for a chocolate fix. There is nothing like homemade marshmallows. My family loves them

Katie @ This Chick Cooks — April 13, 2011 at 7:22 pm

These bunnies are just too cute. I love them :) I’m featuring your adorable rabbits today in my “These Chicks Cooked” spotlight!

tinytearoom — April 14, 2011 at 6:06 am

These bunnies are too cute to eat!

Jodi@garlicgirl.com — April 15, 2011 at 10:21 am

Oh my – sooooo fabulous!

Heather — April 15, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Great! Homemade marshmallows weren’t even on my radar and now suddenly, I’m feeling like I need to make these soon. They are adorable!

Jess — April 17, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Oh my gosh, these are too cute! They beat peeps and any other packaged candy by a mile!-and it’s pretty hard for a marshmellow bunny to run that far!

Courtney — April 23, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Whoa! I’m so sad I saw this now, where have I been? Next Easter I’m definitely making these :)

cheryl — April 30, 2011 at 8:32 pm

ridiculously cool!

Marialuisa — January 30, 2012 at 2:11 am

IMPRESSED WITH your work!. I love these bunnies and the hearts for Valentine´s. I´d love to make those one of these days.
    Love from the north of Spai
    Marialuisa

• Brenda replied on January 30th, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Hello Marialuisa – so nice to hear from you – thanks! :)

robin — March 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Hi! These are great! I was wondering…can these be made a day in advance? I have made homemade marshmallows before but the ones I made weren’t as great the next day. I was just wondering how these would hold up if they were made a day in advance. Thanks so much!!

Kim Haddock — March 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I just found your blog. I knew after seeing your posts about marshmallows your are a girl after my own heart!!! (Plus I have a Tessa also.) I make marshmallows for Christmas gifts, but now is an excuse to make them for Easter gifts also! Thanks for fun instructions.

• Brenda replied on March 31st, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Awwwwww, love the Tessas. :) Nice to meet you, Kim – hope you like these!

Market Day Madness — May 26, 2012 at 6:51 am

We used this recipe to make chocolate covered butterflies, tulips and flowers to sell at the 4th grade “market day”. It was easier on my mixer when I covered it with plastic wrap; in addition, I found that generic corn syrup created fluffier marshmallow than name brand. (weird!)
    Thanks for the great recipe.

Market Day Madness — May 26, 2012 at 6:54 am

Loved this recipe! We used it for a school “market day” project, using our favorite cookie cutters to cut out the shapes.
    It helped with clean-up when I covered my mixer in plastic wrap before I began, and it also worked better to use generic corn syrup because the marshmallow was fluffier with generic (weird!).

• Brenda replied on May 28th, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I’m so glad you liked making marshmallows, too! Thanks for letting me know. :)

Trisha Zimmerman — March 10, 2013 at 6:40 am

1. Pingback: Easter Treats | TidyMom

2. Pingback: I’m Lovin’ It Wrap Up {4-9-11} Easter Treats | The Copperhill Store

3. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 89 | my kitchen addiction

4. Pingback: Sweet Tooth Favorites

5. Pingback: Homemade Peppermint Marshmallows Recipe

6. Pingback: Homemade Marshmallow Conversation Hearts

7. Pingback: Homemade Marshmallow Chicks

8. Pingback: 10 Adorable Easter Treats | Yummly

9. Pingback: Fair Trade paaseitjes & andere paasrecepten | Your Style, Your Life

10. Pingback: Easter Pinterest Recipes | Daily Dish Recipes