Herby Egg Salad Sandwiches
One thing’s for certain. In the weeks surrounding Easter, you’ll find egg salad in our fridge, ready to be spread for a sandwich. Or scooped up by crispy salty barbecue flavored potato chips, a chips and dip appetizer disguised as my main course. It’s true. Egg salad on chips makes the perfect lunch!
I don’t ever remember not liking egg salad sandwiches. Or the somewhat similar deviled eggs. There’s just something about that bright yellow egg yolk mixed with the creamy tang of mayo and mustard that has always pulled me in.
But there is one egg salad sandwich that I don’t like…
A bland one.
I find it so disappointing to bite into an egg salad sandwich, only to taste the egg white drowning in a whole lot of mayo. When you’re not in the comfort of your own kitchen, about all you can do is sprinkle it to death with salt and pepper. And that still makes for a sorry lunch intake.
So I promise you that these Herby Egg Salad Sandwiches are anything but boring. They’re filled with yolky tastiness, and are not overbearingly gloppy in the mayo category. With a bit of celery, just like Mom does it. And plenty of fresh herbs, as they go so beautifully with eggs. A touch of smoked paprika and cumin add depth and warmth, to round it all out. This salad (or dip!) has alot going for it, that’s for certain.
Herby Egg Salad Sandwiches
You've got to try these Herby Egg Salad Sandwiches! This egg salad recipe can be a filling lunch or a quick dinner.
- 12 large eggs
- 2 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 2 T. prepared mustard
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 T. finely chopped parsley
- 1 T. finely chopped chives
- 1 T. finely chopped dill
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- optional toppings:
- thin slices of fresh tomato
- roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- To hard boil the eggs, place them in a pot and cover with cold water by 1”. Bring to a gentle boil. Then turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 13 minutes. This will give you a nicely set yolk, perfectly yellow.
- Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl and then add the cooked eggs to stop them from cooking any further. Let them sit in the ice bath for 3 minutes, and then remove to a towel to dry.
- Crack and peel each egg and then slice them in half. Place the yolks in a medium mixing bowl along with the vinegar, mayo, and mustard. Blend well. Chop the egg whites to desired size and add to the yolk mixture, along with all the remaining ingredients. Fold until fully combined.
- Test for flavor and adjust if needed. Serve on sliced bread, with thin slices of fresh tomato and a sprinkling of sunflower seeds. I also highly recommend a handful of crispy salty barbecue flavored potato chips alongside!
* Please note: This recipe is very much a starting block, a list of minimums. I love all the ingredients in this egg salad, but will sometimes increase the mustard. Or the herbs. Or the onion. Or the paprika. You get the point! :)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 380mgSodium: 1821mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
This is perfect for breakfast. Thanks for sharing :)
Fantastic salad thanks. Made it yesterday and it went down a treat. Only addition I made was some lightly roasted pumpkin seeds sprinkled over the top. My family love these and they’re so good for them.
I normally don’t like egg salad, but this one looks seriously delicious!
I love a good egg salad sandwich as well! :D
I love egg salad and will be making this today! Sounds so yummy!
looks wonderful, ok now I’m officially starving!
Looks and sounds delicious!
Nothing is better than an egg salad sammie. Nothing. Well winning Powerball, maybe. :) Looks delectable!
Brenda! This looks amazing. Now I’m going to be obsessing about egg salad. I love the addition of sunflower seeds. So scrumptious!
I have only begun to love egg salad in the last couple of years but now it is one of my favorite lunches! This version looks perfectly creamy and flavorful and I will be adding it to my lunch menu!
What a beautiful and delicious egg salad! This is definitely going to be made. We dye waaaay too many eggs, and egg salad ideas are much appreciated!! :)
I love all the spices in this! Looks so yummy!
I love the fresh herbs you added, but I’m especially envious of your red tomatoes! :)
Those tomatoes were definitely good ones for this time of year!
I *love* egg salad sandwiches. I look forward to Easter for the egg salad more than anything else!
I’m with you all the way on that one! Coloring Easter eggs…all I can think about is all the great egg salad they will make. :)
I love egg salad sandwiches! Yours certainly takes the recipe up a notch with the flavorful cumin, herbs and celery, etc. Never thought to use it as a chip dip though but now that you mentioned it…great idea!