Grilled Peach Pie à la Mode
We’ve grilled peaches before, but never this many in one summer. I do believe we’ve fallen in love!
Last week I shared a grilled peach salad with fresh peach cumin dressing, using gorgeous Oregold Peaches from Harry and David. The salad is a most lovely addition to the summer table, with a dressing so good you’ll be tempted to drink it.
And today it’s all about dessert, compliments of the grill, with this Grilled Peach Pie à la Mode.
I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ll never make a peach pie as good as Mom’s. So this is my answer. And it’s really quite simple. This sweet bowl is basically a deconstructed peach pie, with wedges of flaky pie crust adorning warm grilled peaches and honey-drizzled vanilla ice cream, all melty and yummy. All sprinkled in cinnamon. I’m certain Mom would approve.
Grilled Peach Pie à la Mode
- for the pie crust triangles:
- 1.25 c. all-purpose flour divided
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ c. cold butter
- 2 T. ice water
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 T. water
- ½ tsp. cinnamon with 2 tsp. sugar for sprinkling on the pastry at the end
- for the grilled peaches:
- 3 large ripe peaches cut in half, pits removed
- 1 T. olive oil
- other ingredients:
- vanilla ice cream
for the pie crust triangles:
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Place some ice in a small bowl of water and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl or in the bowl of a food processor, mix just 1 cup of the flour with the salt and sugar. Cut the butter into 1/2” pieces and then cut into the flour mixture using a rigid pastry cutter or by pulsing the food processor. Once the mixture looks like large crumbs clinging together in clumps, add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour. Mix lightly or pulse the food processor a few times to combine. Do not over mix. The flour should coat the clumps. Sprinkle the ice water over the dough. With your hands or a wooden spoon, mix until the dough holds together, and then form into a disc.
- Place dough between two pieces of 12” square parchment paper. Start rolling the dough from the center of the disc outward, turning the dough and parchment as necessary. Continue rolling from center to outer edge until you have a circle shape between 11” and 12” in diameter. Peel off the top layer of parchment.
- Use a pastry cutter or a pizza cutter wheel to cut the circle into 12 pie triangles.
- Slide dough and parchment, still intact, onto a cookie sheet. Beat egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the top of the pie crust. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until crust is nicely browned. Let cool on the cookie sheet. The pie crust triangles should mostly separate during the baking process, but if they need a little help, simply run the pizza cutter or a knife along the cut lines to completely separate. * This can be prepared a few hours prior to serving the assembled dessert.
for the grilled peaches:
- Heat grill or a stove top grill pan to medium heat. Lightly oil the grates/pan.
- Brush the cut sides of the peaches with a little olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. Place peaches on grill cut side down, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until nice char marks appear. Flip and grill for an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove peaches to cutting board and cut in half again.
to assemble the grilled peach pie à la mode:
- Place 1 or 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream in each of 6 bowls. Place 2 peach pieces in each bowl. T
- op each bowl with a drizzle of honey and an additional sprinkle of cinnamon, and top with 2 pie crust triangles. Serve immediately.