Cinnamon Valentine Caramels

As I savored the last Chocolate Caramel from my freezer stash a couple weeks ago, I got to thinkin’…

How could I alter this wonderful recipe of my grandma’s, to create a sweet treat for the upcoming Valentine’s Day?

It took me a couple tries to get it just right, but I’m now deeply in love with these Cinnamon Valentine Caramels.  Their vibrant red color fits this holiday beautifully, and I’m positive that their sweet and spicy flavor will leave my cinnamon connoisseur of a mom yearning for just one more.

If you’re looking to create something extra special this Valentine’s Day, I’m tellin’ you, these chewy, creamy cinnamon caramels are just that.  Extra special.

Cinnamon Valentine Caramels
(print recipe)

2 c. white sugar
1-1/2 c. light corn syrup
1-1/2 c. heavy cream
1 c. butter, plus 1/2 T. for buttering the pan
2 tsp. cinnamon oil (I used cinnamon oil from a Wilton candy flavorings multi pack, from Michael’s)
1-1/2 tsp. red food color gel  (I used Wilton red “no taste” icing color, from Michael’s.)

(Cinnamon oil is very strong, but necessary for reaching a stronger cinnamon flavor.  Be careful to not get it on your skin, as it can cause irritation. For a more subtle cinnamon flavor, substitute 3 tsp. cinnamon extract for the cinnamon oil. The extract can be found in the baking section of your grocery store.)

Butter a 9″ x 13″ pan and set aside.

Place all ingredients except the cinnamon oil and the red coloring in a heavy medium sauce pan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring quite constantly, until it reaches 240°.  This will take awhile, but don’t wander too far away, as the temperature seems to rise quickly right at the end.  Take off heat and stir in the cinnamon oil and red coloring.  Pour into your buttered pan.  Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate to set.  Take out of refrigerator and let sit for about 10 minutes before cutting.

If you want to gift these caramels, simply cut them into your desired size and wrap in wax paper.

Please note:  Using candy thermometers can be a tricky thing.  Thermometers seem to vary, which can give you different results.  When Mom makes these caramels, she cooks them to 236°, as her thermometer registers a bit differently than mine.  If you want to calibrate your thermometer, to know exactly where yours sits, I found a great tutorial over at Our Best Bites.

Source:  a farmgirl’s dabbles, an adaptation of my Grandma Klein’s Chocolate Caramels

I’m linking up with:

Robyn at Add a Pinch for Mingle Monday
Rachel at A Southern Fairytale for Mouthwatering Monday
Allison at Alli-N-Son for Sweet Tooth Friday

34 Responses to “Cinnamon Valentine Caramels”

Amanda — January 31, 2011 at 8:29 am

How gorgeous!! And I am sure they are absolutely delicious!! :)

• farmgirl replied on January 31st, 2011 at 8:43 am

Thanks Amanda. All your rainbow-ness inspires me!

Paula — January 31, 2011 at 10:25 am

I’m seeing red and lovin’ it!

• farmgirl replied on January 31st, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Thanks Paula. xo

Amy B — January 31, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Brenda, I have been thinking about your family in Egypt and hoping that all is well with them. I pray that they are safe. I am a new reader to your blog and enjoyed the entries about your family’s trip to Egypt and kept thinking of that when the stories hit the news about the unrest over there. Anyway, I hope everyone is safe and out of harm’s way!

• farmgirl replied on January 31st, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Hello Amy – you have no idea how much that means to me and my family. Thank you for your prayers.

Nicole @ Arctic Garden Studio — February 1, 2011 at 11:18 pm

These look like the perfect Valentine’s treat. What a great idea. The photos are beautiful too.

• farmgirl replied on February 2nd, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Thank you so much, Nicole.

Curious-George — February 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm

So wheres the actual caramel portion???? You call them caramels yet i dont see any caramel in them…

• farmgirl replied on February 2nd, 2011 at 8:40 pm

A common recipe for caramel candy is to boil milk or cream, sugar, butter, corn syrup, and vanilla. I played around with those ingredients – swapped out the vanilla for the cinnamon oil, and added some red coloring for a fun twist. They are soft, dense, and chewy, just like a traditional caramel candy.

Allison @ Alli 'n Son — February 4, 2011 at 9:20 am

I’ve never heard of cinnamon caramel. I LOVE it!

I have a new linky called Sweet Tooth Friday and I’ve be honored if you shared your recipe. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/03/chocolate-toffee/

• farmgirl replied on February 5th, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Thanks, Allison! They are so good! I’ll see if I can still link up…

Sue Kment — February 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm

oh, I saw these yummies featured on a blog and sent the link to my caramel making SIL! I am hoping she will make me some…being a”hot tamale” lover, I am sure I would love these too! TFS!

• farmgirl replied on February 5th, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Thank you, Sue – for visiting and for passing along this fun recipe! I do hope your SIL makes you some, they are very “hot tamale-esque” – just be sure to use the cinnamon oil, not the extract for that stronger flavor.

WenDee Riffe — February 5, 2011 at 6:32 am

love it!!!!!! gonna try these this weekend!!!!

• farmgirl replied on February 5th, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Have fun, WenDee – great to hear from you again!

cheryl — February 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Gorgeous…

• farmgirl replied on February 7th, 2011 at 11:40 am

Thank you, my dear. xoxo

melissa daams — February 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm

yummy. can you package those up and send me some?! ;)

• farmgirl replied on February 8th, 2011 at 8:14 am

Thanks for stopping by, Melissa. :)

Patty — October 6, 2011 at 6:31 pm

On your recipe it says 1-1/2 cup light corn syrup. Does that mean one and a half cups or one-half cup? I’m excited to try my hand at this treat for my mom cause she loves cinnamon anything!

• farmgirl replied on October 7th, 2011 at 6:22 am

Hello, Patty! That measurement means one and a half cups. (One half cup would show as “1/2″.) I hope your mom likes these caramels – my cinnamon loving mom sure does!!

Cheryl — January 29, 2012 at 1:33 am

These look so amazing! Looking forward to giving them a try. Love cinnamon and love caramels, so they’ve gotta be a party in my mouth!

• Brenda replied on January 29th, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Thanks, Cheryl. These are such a fun treat this time of year!

suzane — December 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I have made your cinnamon caramels several times–I love them, muy hub loves them, ( altho i messed up oned and put to much cin oil in them–wow were they hot, he loved them)—several people at work love about them–I have shiped them home to Ind for My sister–she loves them—thank you soooo much for the recipe—planing on making the chocolate ones for my daughter, as she is not a cinnamon lover. going to try the cranberry cake too–so glad I found yur site

• Brenda replied on December 27th, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I’m so glad you liked these! They are so much fun, and perfect for cinnamon lovers!

Jette — January 8, 2014 at 6:39 am

Great Recipe! Can you tell me roughly how long it took to cool and how many pieces did you cut out at those dimensions? Thanks!

• Brenda replied on January 8th, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Hi Jette – you’ll want to allow at least a couple hours for this to cool on the counter, and then place it in the refrigerator. The caramels are easier to cut when fully chilled. The number of pieces will vary with the size you cut them into.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Cinnamon Valentine Caramels -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Valentine's Day Recipes | recipegirl.com

3. Pingback: Sweet Tooth Food Favorites

4. Pingback: Saturday Spotlight: the color RED | Make and Takes

5. Pingback: Kitchen Cupid: 101 Valentine's Day Ideas Cupcakepedia

6. Pingback: 96 Valentine DIY projects, printables and baking | Rilane - We Aspire to Inspire