Raspberry Iced Tea
With all the beautiful raspberries we’ve picked the past month, I decided to take my favorite cold sweet tea to a new level of delicious. I made Raspberry Iced Tea. And it’s absolutely heavenly.
Unlike many of the flavored teas offered on menus these days, with cloying sweetness and distinctly unnatural flavor additions, this iced tea shines brightly with true berry flavor. And because I find mint in my tea irresistible, I coaxed some fresh garden mint to mingle with the raspberries, adding a layer of subtle coolness.
I think this is about the most perfect glass of flavored iced tea. With its ruby red gorgeousness, warmed by sun-kissed summer berries and cooled by refreshing mint, it beckons me to slow down. Way down.
And isn’t that what a glass of tea is truly all about?
- 3 c. fresh or frozen raspberries
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 T. chopped fresh mint
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 2 c. boiling water
- 6 tea bags (regular Lipton tea or your favorite black tea)
- 6 c. cold water
- In a medium bowl, combine the raspberries and sugar, crushing the berries with the back side of a wooden spoon. Stir in the mint and set aside.
- Sprinkle baking soda into heat-proof pitcher. Pour in boiling water and add tea bags. Let steep for 15 minutes. Discard tea bags. Pour tea into raspberry mixture and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Line a colander with a layer of cheese cloth and place it over a large bowl. Pour the raspberry tea mixture through the cheesecloth. Bind up the cheesecloth and press on it with the back side of a wooden spoon to squeeze out all the delicious raspberry juice. Discard the cheesecloth with the solids. Pour in cold water. Transfer raspberry tea to the pitcher and bring to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold. If you like your tea sweeter, add sugar as desired.
Adapted from Scott’s Cold Sweet Tea
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 20mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 5gSugar: 22gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.