Homemade Marshmallow Cream

homemade marshmallow creamI’m cuckoo for marshmallow, did you know that?!

I’ve been making homemade marshmallows for a number of years, and have acquired a nice little collection of recipes incorporating marshmallow, both homemade and from the package.

This time of year, with Easter just around the corner, these recipes from the past are sure to bring a smile…

homemade marshmallow chicks

Homemade Marshmallow Chicks

chocolate dipped marshmallow bunnies

Chocolate Marshmallow Bunnies

coconut marshmallow cream eggs

Coconut Marshmallow Cream Eggs

homemade marshmallow cream

But it wasn’t until just recently that I actually tried my hand at making my own Homemade Marshmallow Cream.  Our girls were on Spring Break, so we spent an afternoon in the kitchen playing (literally) with marshmallow…

marshmallow!

Their marshmallow coated smiles can attest to how fun and delicious it was!

As soon as we finished whipping up our big bowl of fluff, we immediately scooped up some vanilla ice cream and topped it off with fresh marshmallow cream, creamy peanut butter, and a drizzle of homemade chocolate magic shell. Because, yes, that is my very favorite at-home ice cream sundae combo. (And when you use coffee ice cream, it’s even more fabulous!)

homemade marshmallow cream

Our first run at marshmallow cream was a splendid one. I’m always in a good mood when I make marshmallow. I don’t know how anyone could not be. It’s just plain happy stuff!

For even more happiness induced by marshmallow, be sure to check out the whoopie pies we made with this marshmallow cream. We sandwiched fluffy peanut butter marshmallow cream between two tender chocolate cakes, a special birthday treat request from our oldest daughter. Such a fun way to celebrate!

Homemade Marshmallow Cream

Yield: about 4 cups

• 1/3 c. water
  • 3/4 c. light corn syrup
  • 2/3 c. plus 2 T. sugar, divided
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

In a small saucepan, combine water, corn syrup, and 2/3 cup sugar. Place over medium-high heat and cook until boiling. Cook, stirring, until mixture reaches 240° on a candy thermometer. Immediately remove from heat.

While the saucepan on the stove top is cooking, beat the egg whites. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar together until light and frothy. With the mixer running, slowly pour in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Beat until soft peaks form. Let sit until saucepan ingredients are ready.

With the mixer on low speed, drizzle the hot syrup from the saucepan very slowly into the egg whites mixture. Increase mixer speed to high and continue beating for about 7 to 9 minutes, until mixture is stiff and glossy. Add vanilla and beat on high just a bit more to combine completely.

Use in your favorite frosting, as a cookie sandwich spread, or over scoops of ice cream!

Adapted from Martha Stewart.

homemade marshmallow cream

51 Responses to “Homemade Marshmallow Cream”

Cassie | Bake Your Day — March 22, 2013 at 8:56 am

I love making things like this from scratch rather than buying at the store. This looks amazing! Sounds like you all enjoyed Spring Break!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — March 22, 2013 at 8:57 am

How cool is this?! I bet it tastes SO much better than store-bought!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — March 22, 2013 at 9:00 am

Your pictures are cute as can be! I enjoy making marshmallows myself and we certainly enjoy eating them!!! Fun!!! xoxo

Tieghan — March 22, 2013 at 9:02 am

Sounds like you hd a great spring break! I love this marshmallow cream! Making things from scratch is always better than the stor bought version!

Sandy@ReluctantEntertainer — March 22, 2013 at 9:05 am

Love this! I could eat the entire jar :)

Wenderly — March 22, 2013 at 9:06 am

I just want to plop my face into that marvelous fluff! So darling!!!

Maria — March 22, 2013 at 9:10 am

Fun! And the chicks are too cute!

Heidi @foodiecrush — March 22, 2013 at 9:11 am

I could totally get sticky with this and have been looking for a recipe. My daughter thanks you perhaps more than me.

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — March 22, 2013 at 9:18 am

Oh my goodness — your girls are too cute! This looks like so much fun! :)

marla — March 22, 2013 at 9:21 am

Such great recipes for Easter ~ love those homemade peeps :)

Mom — March 22, 2013 at 10:55 am

Love, love, love marshmallow. Have to admit it had never crossed my mind to attempt to make
    marshmallow creme. Now I want to try your recipe. (Love the gooey smiles on those beautiful granddaughters!)

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Thanks, Mom. xo

nichole — March 22, 2013 at 11:15 am

This looks amazing!! I’m not a vegan, just a vegetarian so I’m so glad to find a recipe that doesn’t use gelatin! bless you!! haha :) Thanks for sharing!

Becca from Cookie Jar Treats — March 22, 2013 at 11:24 am

Marshmallow fluff is so magical. Especially when you pair it with peanut butter :)

I love your marshmallow chicks, those things are adorable!

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Thank you so much, Becca. :)

Donna — March 22, 2013 at 11:56 am

I can’t wait to make this and then make your Whoopie Pie recipe! Woo-Hoo this sounds great!!! Thank you very much! You are such a talented gal Brenda. I just love those chicks and bunnies!! <3
    Happy Easter to you and your family!

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Thank you so much, Donna – Happy Easter to you & yours, too!

Paula — March 22, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Your post is having me crave for marshmallow creme. I haven’t eaten it since I was a kid and I know that homemade is 100% better. Love seeing all your past marshmallow treats! Kids are adorable as always :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Oh my gosh! Pass me a spoon!

• Brenda replied on March 24th, 2013 at 7:55 am

Wish I could pass you TWO spoons!! ;)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — March 22, 2013 at 12:54 pm

My mother in law makes something similar and it is my favorite, so yummy and hard to resist! Love the pictures of your girls, so cute!

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — March 22, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Wow this looks so tasty!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — March 22, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Mmm, am I the only one craving a fluffer nutter now?

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — March 22, 2013 at 3:08 pm

How creamy and delicious, please pass a spoon!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 22, 2013 at 5:34 pm

As many ideas as I have for how to use this, the most appealing is sandwiching it between white bread with peanut butter! :) Can’t help it that I’m nostalgic, haha. Great recipe!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — March 23, 2013 at 8:11 am

Sounds and looks like a super fun time!

Monica — March 23, 2013 at 11:45 am

Looks delicious! Does this have to be refrigerated, or can it be stored at room temp? How long does it last?

• Brenda replied on March 24th, 2013 at 7:54 am

Hello Monica! Use the same day it’s made, or refrigerate in a covered container for up to 2 weeks.

adetia — March 24, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Um, so this looks amazingly tasty, but what do you do with it? Just eat it plain?

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Hello Adetia – there are a few suggestions at the end of the recipe, but plain is great, too. :) My favorite is over ice cream (it gets chewier), with peanut butter and a drizzle of chocolate sauce. :)

Deborah — March 25, 2013 at 9:44 am

I am totally going to try this! And those chicks are too cute!

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Thanks, Deborah. Just beware…it’s hard to stop eating! ;)

Marly — March 26, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I hope you don’t mind me going on about my vegan ways, but I love this recipe because I think it provides a chance for me to try to create a vegan version. I really miss marshmallow cream and this one looks so good. I’m gonna give it a try and I’ll let you know how it goes! Thanks for the inspiration…as always!

Shaina — March 27, 2013 at 9:15 am

So cute! I just made rice crispy bars with homemade marshmallows and was wondering if I could cut a step out and use homemade marshmallow cream instead. I might need to try it.

TidyMom — March 29, 2013 at 8:42 am

Love this! I could just eat it straight from the jar!!

Sylvia Dewy — April 11, 2013 at 6:45 am

Ahh.. This would go perfect on top of a hot chocolate drink or on top of a cupcake. Yum.. It just made me drool.. Lol :P

• Brenda replied on April 11th, 2013 at 10:06 am

Yes, it really would! Yum!! :)

Carissa — May 10, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Thanks for the recipe. My mom used to make “Fantasy Fudge” with Kraft Marshmallow creme (http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/fantasy-fudge-51833.aspx). I’ve got to try it with homemade marshmallow creme. My one question is how long do you think this stuff lasts before it goes bad?

Karol — May 28, 2013 at 10:56 am

Just made it and LOVE it!

Thanks for the recipe!

od-kuchni — May 31, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Just made it! Now I have a big bowl of pure, sweet cloud just for myself :)

• Brenda replied on June 4th, 2013 at 7:56 am

Awesome! So good and so fun!!

bakehappy — September 13, 2013 at 10:54 am

success! i finally made this marshmallow cream. it turned out beautiful, glossy, and white. it didn’t have a much flavor or sweetness as bought creme, but it is pretty amazing stuff. i cant wait to fill my cupcakes that are cooling on the counter! thanx for sharing!

Vicky — October 26, 2013 at 1:58 am

This recipe sounds great. How do you use this in frostings?
    Thanks

• Brenda replied on June 16th, 2014 at 7:55 pm

I like to add marshmallow cream to buttercreams and frostings that use cream cheese!

Kerstin — June 17, 2014 at 12:01 pm

This looks delicious! I really want to try it, but I’m wondering if the hot syrup mixture is enough to kill any salmonella bacteria from the egg whites?

• Brenda replied on June 17th, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Hi Kerstin. I’m no expert in this, but I’ve found several places online that talk about homemade marshmallows that say “salmonella is killed at 165 degrees, and the syrup is cooked to 240 degrees. As long as you don’t allow the syrup to cool, you’ll be fine”.

1. Pingback: Whoopie Pies with Fluffy Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cream

2. Pingback: Eat – Marshmallow Fluff | Snap. Eat. Run.

3. Pingback: Krem Marshmallow

4. Pingback: Chocolate Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spice Marshmallow Filling & Chocolate Buttercream

5. Pingback: FMITK: From My Impossibly Tiny Kitchen | Vegan Avocado Ice Cream