Coconut Cream Marshmallow Eggs

When our oldest daughter took her first bite of these Coconut Cream Marshmallow Eggs dipped in chocolate, she almost couldn’t say fast enough that “these taste just like an Almond Joy, Mom…but without the almonds!” So that would make them similar to a Mounds bar, right? I hope so, because that was my goal. But Hatti did get me thinking. Next time I’m going to make half of the eggs with an almond in the center. Because it’s true. Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don’t. :)

coloring Easter eggs – 1977

This old photo of my family coloring Easter eggs is a favorite of mine. From the newspaper lined dry racks to the avocado green cups we always used for dipping our eggs…it still feels like only yesterday. (And I’m thinking our parents must have been CrAzY to give a 1-year-old a cup of dye!)

While Tessa and I were at Target this week, we picked up the same cheap Easter egg dye kit that we use every year. That little box has triggered a world of excitement for her. She’s just giddy to line up the cups filled with all the colors of the rainbow and start dipping. I’ve heard “how many days until we color eggs, Mom?” ALOT this week.

When I was a kid, we often colored eggs on Good Friday, a tradition I am planning to incorporate this year as well. With both sets of our girls’ grandparents staying with us that weekend, I thought it just the perfect timing.

How about you?
Do you have any Easter egg coloring traditions?

Print Print Recipe

Coconut Cream Marshmallow Eggs

Yield: 26 to 30 eggs

• 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 T. butter, at room temperature
  • 1 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 c. marshmallow creme
  • 3 c. flake coconut
  • 2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 T. shortening

In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar, marshmallow creme, and coconut, stirring to blend completely. Refrigerate mixture for 1 hour. Then use your hands to mold the coconut mixture into egg shapes. I rolled about a tablespoon of coconut mixture into a ball, laid it on a baking sheet lined with wax paper, and then flattened the ball a bit and shaped it into an egg. Once your pan is full, place it in the freezer or refrigerator for an hour or two to firm up.

Melt chocolate chips and shortening over very low heat. Place melted chocolate in a small but deep bowl. Remove a few coconut eggs at a time from the freezer and dip them into the chocolate mixture. I like to use a fork to remove them from the chocolate...just pick up the egg on top of the fork's tines, gently tap any excess chocolate off, and then slide the bottom of the fork out over the edge of your bowl to remove excess chocolate underneath the egg. Return the chocolate coated egg to the wax paper. Refrigerate again to set. Store in the refrigerator.

I’m linking up with the following:

• Robyn at Add a Pinch for Mingle Monday (Better Late Than Never)

46 Responses to “Coconut Cream Marshmallow Eggs”

Blog is the New Black — March 23, 2012 at 7:57 am

Great idea- these look awesome!

jill — March 23, 2012 at 8:00 am

Can’t remember a year we have not colored eggs (been married 30). This year my oldest daughter (29 yrs.) is hosting Easter. I believe I will be making these eggs!

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Please let me know what you think, if you make these. Happy, happy Easter!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 23, 2012 at 8:01 am

These are so cute! Perfect for Easter :)

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Thank you, thank you, Katrina – hope you had a great weekend!

Mom — March 23, 2012 at 8:03 am

Oh, Brenda, it is way too early in the day to be filled with such temptations! You know how I love chocolate and coconut. And I love that photo too. Couldn’t help but think about Frank M joining us to color Easter eggs on Good Friday.

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 9:22 pm

There’s a container of these in the freezer. I knew I HAD to save some for your visit. Soon! Yay! xo (and yes…Frank…I found 2 pics with him in on the Easter egg coloring!)

Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos — March 23, 2012 at 8:34 am

Seriously!?! I love the coconut cream eggs you can buy at the store, I’m sure these are way better!

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 9:20 pm

These ARE waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy better! ;)

Cookbook Queen — March 23, 2012 at 8:45 am

These look amazing!! Totally making them for our Easter lunch. It needs to happen!!

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Thanks, Kristan – hope you had a great weekend!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

What a fun idea for Easter! These are lovely, Brenda, and I bet so tasty. Thanks for sharing. Also, I’m having a great giveaway today with four potential prize winners, so you should enter!

Jocelyn — March 23, 2012 at 11:57 am

These look so delicious…must have them in my life SOON!!!

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Thanks, Jocelyn! :)

Mercedes — March 23, 2012 at 12:16 pm

What a great idea! These are so adorable!

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Thank you, Mercedes! I just learned you’re from Minneapolis…hopefully we’ll meet someday!

Jackie Thompson — March 23, 2012 at 1:25 pm

These sound positively delicious! I love family traditions like coloring eggs. It always gives you something to look forward to and something to remember.

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I like your phrasing there…”something to look forward to and something to remember” – thanks!

Mary@FitandFed — March 23, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Aw, I miss the days of coloring eggs around here. As the kids got older, we made some really fancy ones. I’ve also been experimenting with a homemade almond-joy-like candy, but just with blended unsweetened coconut shreds and agave, then an almond added and dipped in chocolate. Still tweaking that– will add almond extract in the next batch.

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf — March 23, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Ohhh, these look fabulous. And I love seeing your little-you redhead pics. This is my second double take b/c I think it’s me! We always colored them on Good Friday when I was little, then on Saturday when I got a bit older. We color them on Saturday now in my family. Thanks for this post!

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 8:54 pm

So nice to hear from you, Cindy – thanks!

Katie — March 23, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I never would have thought about putting cream cheese in these, but that would definitely help make them creamier! These look delicious and so perfect with Easter coming up!

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Yes, they are super creamy with the cream cheese. Love them! Nice to hear from you again, Katie!

Courtney Rae Jones — March 23, 2012 at 9:25 pm

What a great idea! These look delicious! :)

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Thank you, nice to meet you and your blog!

Harriet — March 24, 2012 at 5:19 am

These remind me of what we call ‘Walnut Whips’ here in the UK. I used to love the old fashioned ones but they don’t seem to taste as good now. These look lovely, I can’t wait for my Easter weekend off to get baking things like this!

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Never heard of those, either, had to look them up. You keep me on my toes. ;)

Kate — March 24, 2012 at 7:23 am

Chocolate and coconut are one of my most favorite flavor combinations. Kinda wish I had a handful of these right now.

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 8:31 pm

pssst…I have a few stashed in the freezer, Kate. C’mon over!

Paula — March 24, 2012 at 9:30 am

Love the family photo. No, I don’t think your parents were crazy. Letting you all be hands on in the kitchen for special events like egg dyeing etc., at young ages I think, is just one of the reasons why you for one grew up to write such a beautiful blog about food and family :)

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I know you’re right, Paula, really I do. Thanks for the sweet reminder. :)

Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin — March 24, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I had almost forgotten about the Easter egg dye kits, since I don’t have kids of my own yet. Thanks for the memories :)

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Ha! They’re just so easy, it’s all I’ve ever used!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 25, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I remember coloring eggs when I was a kid, it was such a fun way to be creative. Now though I think I’d prefer one of those chocolate eggs!

Kyla — March 26, 2012 at 12:43 am

The chocolate coconut cream marshmallow eggs looks delish. Thanks for the ingredients you’ve posted. I’ll try to do this on Easter Egg while coloring eggs.

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — March 26, 2012 at 6:27 am

Seriously amazingly talented, Brenda. These look absolutely fantastic.

Minnesota Prairie Roots — March 26, 2012 at 7:13 am

These look so yummy. Now, if only my family liked coconut.

Don’t you love traditions? That photo is precious. We laid our dyed eggs on newspaper, too. We always dye eggs on the Saturday before Easter.

And, yes, your parents must have been crazy to give a one-year-old a cup of dye. But even older kids can spill. It’s happened in this house.

Maria — March 26, 2012 at 7:18 am

I love these! Perfect for Easter baskets!

Heather — March 26, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I just got all my ingredients today and cannot wait to make them while my girls are at school tomorrow. I may have to hide them from the family and enjoy all to myself. :)

cheryl — March 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm

We bought our egg dye today!!!!

Tonia — March 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Just found your blog today — am seriously loving it! Just have to say, I think you need to invest in a chocolate tempering machine. When I used to have a bakery, I bought one and loved it (it was just a small, non-commercial one), but when I was dipping stuff in chocolate. . .WATCH OUT WORLD! What should I dip in chocolate?! Cookies, shortbread, fudge, tops of cupcakes. Just got a new one for Christmas (way more expensive now!) but sooooo much fun. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — March 27, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Oh chocolate and coconut….two peas in a pod. These look like a wonderful treat! I normally don’t have the patience to make candy, but I may just have to suck it up to make these addicting little gems. I’m very impressed by all of your Easter goodies – cute and clever!

Karen — March 26, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I made this recipe this past weekend. They are awesome! Everyone loves them. Thank you again for all the time you put into your blog.

1. Pingback: Mingle Monday Highlights {March 26} | Add a Pinch

2. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday: Candy Easter Eggs | Domestic Adventure

3. Pingback: Chocolate Coconut Cream Monkey Bread in Jars » a farmgirl's dabbles