Cucumber Pico de Gallo
This Cucumber Pico de Gallo is a fresh and cucumber-y salsa, made for tortilla dippin’ and margarita sippin’ on warm summer evenings out on the deck.
Sunny warmth has been trying so hard to become a common theme around here, and I’m making every attempt to coax it along. We’ve been grilling a few times each week for the past couple weeks, even if the weather hasn’t quite allowed us to open up the table umbrella for a meal out on the deck yet. But the time is drawing near, my friends. And I have this fresh and light Cucumber Pico de Gallo to share with you, for your fine weather eating pleasure.
More and more, cucumbers are becoming a part of my regular, everyday diet. I like to drop them into my ice water for a refreshing boost of flavor. They are also a wonderful addition to most any fresh salad. One of my favorite salads, this Greek chopped salad, features cucumbers as one of the major players. Cucumbers are also an easy substitute for chips and crackers, sliced about 1/4″ thick, for a healthier dipping-tool option. Right now, I’m loving my herby ham salad spread on cucumber slices; it’s a crazy good lunch. And don’t even get me started on my infatuation with cucumbers in a simple-to-make jar of sweet refrigerator pickles – Mom’s recipe is my favorite.
There are so many ways to love them!
A good salsa fresca makes me so happy. Full of fresh just-chopped veggies and a good helping of cilantro, plus some spices and tangy lime, it’s all a tortilla chip really ever needs. While Blake was tending to a beautiful piece of salmon on the grill, I got to choppin’, determined to create an ultra fresh topping for the grilled fish. And as I stood there at the cutting board, there was no helping myself. I had to get out the chips.
My intention for this cucumber pico de gallo was to dress the grilled chipotle-orange salmon, to add the flavors of fresh and colorful veggies wrapped in lime. And this salsa accomplished that goal exceptionally well. But I also came away with a new take on pico de gallo. A fresh and cucumber-y salsa, made for tortilla dippin’ and margarita sippin’ on warm evenings out on the deck. This cucumber pico de gallo promises to be invited to many a summer gathering.
Cucumber Pico de Gallo
- 1 lb. roma tomatoes about 4 total, chopped small
- 1-1/2 c. small-chopped English cucumber
- ½ c. small-chopped yellow sweet bell pepper
- 2 T. minced red onion add more for additional kick
- 2 tsp. minced jalapeno pepper add more for additional heat
- ¼ c. small-chopped fresh cilantro
- zest from 1 lime
- 2 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. ground ancho chili add more or other kinds of ground chili, for additional heat
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Serve immediately, or cover and chill for up to four hours prior to serving to let flavors mingle. This salsa is fresh-tasting, and low on the spicy scale. Feel free to add in additional onion and jalapeno, or to spice it up with your favorite chili spices. This pico de gallo is great served with tortilla chips, or as a topping for grilled chicken and fish.