Peanut Butter Bonbons the Size of Texas {with toffee bits & potato chips}

Peanut Butter Bonbons the Size of Texas {with toffee bits & potato chips} - www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com

Many of you know the very sweet Amber of Bluebonnets & Brownies, a gal who lives and breathes Texas, and now lives in New Jersey. After struggling with infertility, Amber and her husband are expecting a baby boy very, very soon. I am so happy for them!!

Amber's Baby Shower

So today we’re celebrating life and friendship and all things baby by throwing Amber a Virtual Baby Shower, full of all kinds of Texas deliciousness. Please join me and a host of other blogging friends as we get ready to welcome Amber’s new little one!

Every new momma should have a few bonbons on hand, dontcha think?! Along with all that sweet cooing, pinky finger squeezing, and downy soft hair comes alot of work, hours of lost sleep, and frustrations that we as parents may never ever learn the answers to.

That’s when a bonbon is more than just a bonbon. It’s a savior in a new mom’s time of need. A few minutes of luxury during a moment of infant naptime stillness.

Yes, I believe every new parent deserves a box of bonbons!

These Peanut Butter Bonbons the Size of Texas {with toffee bits and potato chips} are a riff on a few of my family’s favorite treats. The sweet and fluffy peanut butter center comes from the recipe Mom uses for homemade peanut butter cups. And the chocolate/peanut butter/Ritz cracker combo comes from some fantastically easy and completely addictive sandwich cookies. The potato chips are a secret ingredient in a recipe my mother-in-law is famous for, while toffee chips were thrown in just for the sweet, sweet heck of it.

And I made the bonbons big.

Texas big!

They’re just a bit bigger than a golf ball. You’ll love every last smooth and crunchy, sweet and salty, bite!

I also adorned a few of the bonbons in baby boy blue…

divider-bottom

Please JOIN US in celebrating Amber’s soon-to-arrive baby! Just click on the links below to see what everyone else created for Amber’s baby shower!

Sugarcrafter | Breakfast Tostadas
The Kitchen Trials | Coca-Cola Cake
Cookies & Cups | Sticky Toffee Pudding Cookies
A Farmgirl’s Dabbles | Peanut Butter Bonbons the Size of Texas
Steph Chows | Fiesta Dip

Peanut Butter Bonbons the Size of Texas {with toffee bits & potato chips}

Yield: 30 large bonbons

• 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened (not melted)
  • 2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1-1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
  • 1 c. toffee bits
  • 2 c. crushed thick ripple potato chips
  • 30 Ritz crackers
  • 16 oz. chocolate almond bark
  • 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
  • toffee bits, crushed potato chips, sprinkles, optional for topping the finished bonbons

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Add peanut butter and incorporate until thoroughly mixed together. Using a wooden spoon, fold in the toffee bits and potato chips.

Line a large pan with waxed paper. Using a medium scoop, fill the scoop with peanut butter mixture. Try to get the peanut butter mixture solidly into the scoop, so the mixture is compact. Release peanut butter mixture onto the top of a Ritz cracker, rounded side up. (If you don't have a medium scoop, use a spoon to scoop up approximately 2 tablespoons of peanut butter mixture. Roll slightly to achieve a rounded shape, and then place on top of a Ritz cracker.) With the back of a spoon, or with your finger, seal the peanut butter mixture down onto the cracker, all the way around the cracker's edge. Place on lined pan. Repeat until peanut butter mixture is gone. Place pan in freezer for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt almond bark and bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler over low heat until completely melted and smooth. Take care to not overheat the chocolate. Remove chocolate from stovetop. One by one, drop frozen bonbons into melted chocolate. Using 2 forks, turn the bonbon over in the chocolate to completely cover. Set bonbon on top of one fork's tines, with Ritz cracker on the bottom, and remove from the chocolate, gently tapping any excess chocolate off, and then sliding the bottom of the fork out over the edge of your bowl to remove excess chocolate underneath the bonbon. Return the chocolate coated bonbon to the wax paper. If desired, top immediately with additional toffee bits, crushed potato chips, or sprinkles. Let chocolate completely set. These freeze well, separated by layers of wax paper.

Adapted from a few favorite recipes from my mom and mother-in-law.

62 Responses to “Peanut Butter Bonbons the Size of Texas {with toffee bits & potato chips}”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 19, 2013 at 7:18 am

Aww such a fun online event! And these bonbons are awesome!

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — August 19, 2013 at 7:29 am

Bonbons look fantastic!

shelly (cookies and cups) — August 19, 2013 at 7:32 am

I could eat about 25 of these…
    So yum!

DessertForTwo — August 19, 2013 at 7:34 am

Oh, the ritz crackers sound delicious in this! It looks like a winner!

Amanda — August 19, 2013 at 7:36 am

Potato chips? Genius. Pure genius. Beautiful post my friend!

Tracy — August 19, 2013 at 7:47 am

These are adorable, Brenda! Thank you so much for bringing them along to celebrate Amber’s shower. I’ll definitely have to try these with SunButter, yum!

steph@stephsbitebybite — August 19, 2013 at 7:48 am

These are perfect for welcoming a little baby. No silverware need…just stuffed straight in my mouth!

Tieghan — August 19, 2013 at 8:23 am

These sound perfect! I love the ritz crackers in these!

Mique — August 19, 2013 at 8:43 am

Those look so good Brenda! What a fun virtual baby shower. Off to check out the other links!

Paula - bell'alimento — August 19, 2013 at 9:21 am

I could pop a few of these into my mouth right about NOW …

Wendy — August 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

What a sweet gesture to have a virtual baby shower for a couple who obviously is so deserving of this miracle. The recipes sound awesome and the Bon Bons….well.. can I say “Lets eat!” Congratulations Amber!

Cookbook Queen — August 19, 2013 at 10:34 am

Are you even serious with these?? Dying over the flavor combo!!

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — August 19, 2013 at 10:43 am

Brenda, I am in love. I’m pretty sure I’ll need these in the months to come like I’ve never needed chocolate before. Thank you so much for celebrating our baby boy – it truly means so much. These are sweet, salty, peanutty perfection, and I kind of need one *right* now.

• Brenda replied on August 19th, 2013 at 8:06 pm

You are so welcome, Amber. Please promise me you’ll keep some good chocolate on hand, ok? It truly was a life saver at times. Wishing you countless blessings of little boy joy. xo

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 19, 2013 at 10:43 am

Oooh… I love all things peanut butter and chocolate. I could use a few of these bonbons right now. Yum! What a perfect recipe for the baby shower… Thanks so much for joining in on the baby shower fun!

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — August 19, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Toffee bits, ritz crackers, potato chips, peanut butter?!! It’s enough to make a girl want to have another baby, just to get her hands on a batch of these!

• Brenda replied on August 19th, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I’m not sure I’d go that far, ha!!!! ;)

Angie — August 19, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Love that these are Texas size!!!

Vickie — August 19, 2013 at 1:35 pm

At first I thought these would be too sweet until I got to The Ritz Crackers and potato chips. Then I knew it would be a sin not to try these. Thanks so much for sharing these. I’m one happy Texas girl!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — August 19, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Oooooooooh my gosh, these are genius, Brenda! I could down a whole box in one sitting, for sure. :)

• Brenda replied on August 19th, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Keep the cold milk flowing, and I’ll join you!! :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 19, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Love these bonbons, especially the toffee bits on top!

Kate | Food Babbles — August 19, 2013 at 8:23 pm

These sounds AH-MAZING! I love the salty/sweet combination here with the chocolate, toffee and the potato chips. Crunchy, creamy, sweet? YES! I need these in my life and so does Amber. What a lovely addition to the shower. Yum!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — August 19, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Oh. My. That is all.

Aimee Wimbush-Bourque — August 19, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Chocolate on hand is a postpartum must. Girl, you really know. ;)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — August 19, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I would love to get my hands on these! They would disappear in a flash! So perfect for Amber’s shower and I love all of the secret ingredients!!

Biz — August 20, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Hi Brenda! I wanted to stop by and introduce myself – I am one of the bloggers that’s going to be at the Beef event in Chicago in October. You unknowingly made an influence on me – my blog friend Suzie made a lasagna soup recipe that I’ve made 40 TIMES in the last year. It’s that good. Um, I didn’t realize until a few weeks ago that her recipe was based on your recipe!

You can check out this link and see how many times I’ve made this soup!

Sadly, my husband won’t even try it because he thinks it will taste like tomato soup and he hates tomato soup. His loss and my gain! Looking forward to meeting you!

• Brenda replied on August 23rd, 2013 at 9:01 am

Nice to meet you, thanks for the introduction! Isn’t that soup awesome? Your husband doesn’t know what he’s missing. ;) I’m looking forward to Chicago and some great beef, see you soon!

natalie @ wee eats — August 20, 2013 at 5:57 pm

oh. my. god.

these are dangerous.

Paula — August 20, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Perfect treat for a Texas girl’s baby shower! I’m saving this recipe as I think they make a perfect Christmas treat too.

TidyMom — August 20, 2013 at 9:21 pm

drooling Brenda!! these sound amazing!!!

Emily — August 20, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Wow – these look incredible! My 3yo is having a love affair with ritz crackers lately, but she’s allergic to peanuts, so I need to try these with wow butter or even biscoff ASAP!

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper — August 21, 2013 at 12:42 pm

All bonbons should be the size of Texas. :) I love the peanut butter filling in these!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — August 21, 2013 at 4:46 pm

There would be nothing mini about how many of these I would eat! They’re adorable and look so delicious!

Jeanne — August 21, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Hello delicious! Wowee! I can’t wait to make these!! Such super post for Amber!

Mercedes — August 22, 2013 at 10:55 am

These look ridiculous and I mean that in the best way possible! Wow, it would be difficult to eat just one, or even three of these!

Joanie @ Zagleft — August 23, 2013 at 7:38 am

Ritz crackers and peanut butter are a personal favorite snack of mine and I can only imagine when dipped in chocolate they taste even better. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I’ll certainly be trying it.

• Brenda replied on August 23rd, 2013 at 8:50 am

Thank you, Joanie – nice to meet you!

Alice — August 23, 2013 at 10:17 am

First, these look amazing! I was wondering about the almond bark. Is there a reason to use that over good chocolate? I’ve never used the almond bark?

Donna — August 23, 2013 at 10:24 am

Another beautiful recipe that “hits it out of the ballpark” Brenda! What “To Be” mother would not LOVE to have some of these Peanut Butter Bonbons the Size of Texas to nosh on before her little baby boy arrives!

Congrats on the upcoming birth of your new baby boy Amber! :-) What an exciting time in your life!

Becca from Cookie Jar Treats — August 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Oh wow these look positively amazing! I love big treats because I tend to go a little overboard when I have a lot of little ones.

Sarah — August 23, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I’ve never seen anything like this! As I read, I’m just trying to image the flavors of the ingredients. This is a must try for me. I love sweet and salty! :)

Mynds — August 24, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Aloha Brenda! I was just wondering if your Peanut Butter Bon Bons are suitable for mailing or if they need to be kept refrigerated — they look delish! Mahalo! Mynda

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking — August 26, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I think every mom should have a box of these bonbons close by no matter the age of the child. Yours are so pretty!

1. Pingback: Coconut Tres Leches Layer Cake - Confessions of a Cookbook Queen