Turkey Taco Bowls with Cilantro Lime Rice

Turkey Taco Bowls with Cilantro Lime Rice - www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com

My family is in love with Turkey Taco Night. It always brings “yays” and “hoorays”…and for Tessa, a little dancing and singing, too!

Turkey Taco Night is never served the same way twice around here. Sometimes all the ingredients are wrapped up in flour tortillas, and other times hard corn shells (Blake’s favorite) serve as the vehicle to our mouths. And then there’s turkey taco quesadillas on the griddle, all cheesy and melty and irresistible!

But the version I’m sharing today is Turkey Taco Bowls with Cilantro Lime Rice. It’s my little homemade version of my favorite salad bowl meal at Chipotle Mexican Grill.

Turkey Taco Bowls with Cilantro Lime Rice

I start out with some light and fluffy and flavorful cilantro lime rice. My family loves a meal served with rice, and this fragrant dish makes a great base for the turkey taco bowls.

Turkey Taco Bowls with Cilantro Lime Rice - www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com

To assemble the bowls, I usually add a couple scoops of warm cilantro lime rice to the bottom of each bowl, and then a big spoon of browned ground turkey that has simmered in my homemade {green} taco seasoning. Then all the rest of the fixin’s are laid out for everyone to add as they please…black beans and shredded cheeses, plus chopped lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, avocado, and cilantro.

I’m big on condiments, and mix up the offerings alot. I prefer fresh chopped pico or Mom’s canned salsa, but am definitely not above setting out a jar of salsa or taco sauce from the store when I’m in a pinch. There’s also this super tasty honey and chipotle vinaigrette, a fun change of pace, perfect for drizzling over this bowl of yum (just like the salad at Chipotle Mexican Grill!). Fresh and zesty sweet corn relish is awesome with turkey tacos, too…we make up a big batch each summer, and I highly recommend you give it a try when the sweet corn is at its peak later this year. And don’t forget sour cream, guacamole, and slices of fresh lime for squeezing over it all…the possibilities are endless. And so fabulously delicious!

Turkey Taco Bowls with Cilantro Lime Rice

Yield: 4 servings

for the cilantro lime rice:
  • 1 c. long grain white rice
  • 2 c. water
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 T. finely chopped fresh cilantro
  • for the turkey taco mixture:
  • 1 lb. ground turkey (or ground beef or chicken)
  • 3 T. Homemade {Green} Taco Seasoning or 1 packet Chi-Chi's Restaurante Seasoning
  • 1/3 c. water
  • salt and pepper, if desired
  • other goodies and mix-ins...pick and choose what you like:
  • black beans
  • shredded cheeses
  • lettuce, finely chopped
  • tomatoes, diced
  • bell peppers (any color you like), diced
  • onion, diced
  • avocado, diced
  • cilantro, chopped
  • fresh lime wedges for squeezing over it all...
  • and optional condiments:
  • fresh pico
  • salsa
  • taco sauce
  • Honey and Chipotle Vinaigrette
  • Zesty Sweet Corn Relish
  • sour cream
  • guacamole

Please note...this recipe for turkey taco bowls is not so much a recipe as it is a general list of ideas to incorporate. Pick and choose what you like about it from my ideas, add in your own likings, make it yours!

for the cilantro lime rice:

In a medium-large saucepan with a heavy bottom, combine rice, water, salt, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn heat down to medium-low ("2" on our stove) and cover pan with lid. Simmer for 14 minutes (no peeking!), or until rice is cooked and water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, covered. Discard bay leaf. Drizzle lime juice over rice, sprinkle with cilantro, and fluff with a fork to combine. Serve warm.

for the turkey taco mixture:

In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown the turkey. Then add taco seasoning and water, stirring to combine. Turn heat down to medium-low and let simmer until water is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust by adding salt and pepper, if desired.

to assemble the turkey taco bowls with cilantro lime rice:

Add a couple scoops of warm cilantro lime rice to the bottom of individual serving bowls, followed by a scoop of prepared turkey taco mixture. Have the rest of your desired taco mix-ins and condiments ready for individuals to add as they please.

From a farmgirl's dabbles, inspired by the bowls served at Chipotle Mexican Grill.

27 Responses to “Turkey Taco Bowls with Cilantro Lime Rice”

Sandy@ReluctantEntertainer — May 3, 2013 at 8:06 am

This sounds fantastic! We’re having a party Sat. night and I’m serving Chicken Mole but maybe I’ll make your yummy rice! :)

Tieghan — May 3, 2013 at 8:17 am

I love bowls filled with tones of delicious Mexican ingredients!!!

Deborah — May 3, 2013 at 8:28 am

I love taco night and this would be such a great way to switch things up!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — May 3, 2013 at 8:49 am

I made something similar this week,but with chicken. I love this!

Paula - bell'alimento — May 3, 2013 at 8:52 am

Oh sweet mamma. Bring it!

Diane (createdbydiane) — May 3, 2013 at 9:55 am

these look super-yummy!

Cookin Canuck — May 3, 2013 at 10:51 am

Turkey taco meat happens regularly at our house, but it usually gets stuffed into burritos. Now I need to make these bowls…such a fun way to change things up.

Mom — May 3, 2013 at 11:03 am

Just looking at this is making me hungry, Brenda. Beautiful pics!

• Brenda replied on May 5th, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Thanks, Mom. xo

Michelle B. — May 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I’m loving your blog, thanks for the healthy recipe!

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — May 3, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Taco Night sounds like so much fun!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 3, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Taco night is the best! Love these bowls and the cilantro rice!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — May 4, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Looks absolutely delicious! And just in time for Cinco de Mayo.

Hand Me Downs and Flip Flops — May 5, 2013 at 11:42 am

This looks great for Cinco De Mayo!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — May 5, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Such a delicious, festive dish! Love it!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — May 6, 2013 at 10:26 am

OOh this looks like such a perfect meal! Adding to my summer dinners list for sure!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — May 6, 2013 at 11:47 am

Chipotle chicken burrito bowls are my JAM! What an awesome recipe to have on hand to make at home when I’m too lazy to drive up the street for Chipotle (which, let’s face it, is often). I’m kind of scared to have the cilantro rice recipe on hand, though, because I’ll be making it all the time!

Aggie — May 6, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I just picked up the final ingredient to make your green seasoning – yay! I am so looking forward to it. My kids have really embraced turkey taco night here too and I love it because it’s a meal we ALL can enjoy. Love these rice bowls!! We love rice too so this would definitely be a hit!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — May 6, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Wow this looks so wonderful! Right up my alley.

jenn@slim-shoppin.com — May 6, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I just started making chipotle burritos. I love your idea for the bowl though!

Jess — May 7, 2013 at 2:23 am

Taco bowls are one of my favorite dinners -it’s so fun to pile your favorite ingredients together. The turkey is a great idea for a base, Brenda! I’m so glad you linked up to that green taco seasoning – yum – I’ve got to make that!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — May 7, 2013 at 11:37 am

The one thing as a mom I should do – make a Taco Night. I have always wanted to do it, but have never committed. This post makes me want to institute it tonight. Love the taco bowl concept B.

Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs — May 7, 2013 at 8:34 pm

LOVE the idea of taco bowls! Perfect for any weeknight. This will be on our meal plan next week for sure!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — June 12, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Cilantro lime rice is a favorite, in fact I think I will make some tonight because now I’m craving it! These bowls look so great. TACO NIGHT!

1. Pingback: Meal Plan 5/20 - 5/24